LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

LaMichael James was a Niner (CUT!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by crabman82:
i'm prepared to live and die with him returning, only way to get better is to be out there when the live bulletts are flying. we also dont really have another option unless cox is re-signed.

This, constantly rotating guys, hoping for a miracle isn't the answer either. If you look at a guy like Ace Sanders, someone that a lot of people here wanted, he's barely averaging 5 yards a return on punts. James has done well with his returns, let's see if he can keep it up.

If he shows he can't hack it, then he can't hack it, you cut your losses and you move on, I just don't want to be watching LaMichael James be a high quality punt returner and an offensive weapon on some other team such as the Seahawks. I think it is entirely premature to give up on him over 2 games.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 2, 2013 at 1:56 PM ]
Originally posted by crabman82:
i'm prepared to live and die with him returning, only way to get better is to be out there when the live bulletts are flying. we also dont really have another option unless cox is re-signed.

I didn't like watching him return at Oregon and I don't like watching him return in San Francisco. Not much has changed. Hopefully he does get better, his results have been better than Kyle Williams so far and he looks like he's going to break one loose sooner or later.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Disp:
How do we know James is good though? Like you mentioned, it's a very small sample size and if you take away his one 40 yard return that blows his average up what do his numbers come up as? You're comparing it to players who have been top tier returners for years and have earned the right to make occasional mistakes. James hasn't earned the right to screw up and not be blasted for it.

You let him keep playing. Increase the sample size, if he continues to make good returns and shows better ball control, then he's a keeper, no? And if he goes potato and keeps having issues with holding on to punts for the rest of the season, then you know to look at someone else.

What I'm saying is that we simply don't know. However, it'd be one thing if he was averaging 3 yards a return and having these issues, but he's shown the ability to make some big plays such as the return against NE last season. To me, that makes it worthwhile to see what he can do and if he can continue to do a good job of returning the football with better ball security, then the issue with settle itself.

The one thing you can't do is yank the guy now as some are clamoring for, doing so would be just an overreaction and kind of pointless. My point has been that he's showed promise, but its still too early to tell eitherway. Judging by some of the comments, people here would have wanted to see guys like Devin Hester get s**t-canned early on in their careers too. Most returners seem to struggle early on and the numbers bare that out, there's very few guys like Patterson in Minnesota who step into the role almost seamlessly.
I hope he doesn't turn into a Dexter Carter. All the speed in the world, but can never hang onto the ball!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
You let him keep playing. Increase the sample size, if he continues to make good returns and shows better ball control, then he's a keeper, no? And if he goes potato and keeps having issues with holding on to punts for the rest of the season, then you know to look at someone else.
[edit]
The one thing you can't do is yank the guy now as some are clamoring for, doing so would be just an overreaction and kind of pointless. My point has been that he's showed promise, but its still too early to tell eitherway. Judging by some of the comments, people here would have wanted to see guys like Devin Hester get s**t-canned early on in their careers too. Most returners seem to struggle early on and the numbers bare that out, there's very few guys like Patterson in Minnesota who step into the role almost seamlessly.

Yes, and it's not like his fumbles are bouncing off his helmet and traveling ten yards. Both of his muffs were soft misses, easily recoverable. That bodes well for his future development. When I tried to catch punts it was like them bouncing off a cement wall...just not able to track the ball and softly catch it. And I'm very impressed with his decision making on when to run and where the opponents are. Very good peripheral vision. I would like to see him on all returns. for the rest of the year, possible sharing the endzone on kickoffs with a young guy like Morris. With that kind of speed back there ST may take another jump in production.
its not like kyle williams had the surest of hands either. dude was always bobbling fair catches
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
should have just kept Ginn
Wonder if the new stadium could help with some of the punt security issues
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Wonder if the new stadium could help with some of the punt security issues

no crazy wind unless it is really really strong. The rendering and so far the steel framing indicates that the openings will be too wide for wind to really create a funnel/swirling effect. If the wind is coming directly from the tower side then maybe it'll cause some issues but I think no matter how you look at it Levi's Stadium(weird to type that) will be 10x easier to catch in.
Originally posted by susweel:
should have just kept Ginn

Without a doubt. Didn't Ginster have a TD yesterday? I think he did...
I barely felt a breeze Sunday. That was all on LMJ

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by Rascal:
LMJ is still crap especially with KR/PR, I don't care what anyone says, he lacks explosiveness, speed, vision and decisiveness.

Top of my list for the offseason is a CB or WR with elite speed, good hands, and KR skills. Top three rounds...is a must. Hell, I might take two one for the D and one for the O....we need a slot corner and guy to run the deep bomb.

I could see LMJ gone as well, I dont think he is as bad as you, but he doesnt bring anything to the table that somebody else cant Gore gets one more year in the sun, Lattimore is the bell cow of the future, Hunter is the change of pace, and Dixon is the utility guy and special teams ace....all LMJ brings is inconsistant kick return skills and an RB skill set not suited to our offense. I could see him doing well in Philly, Carolina or Miami where the run game is more finese based and designed around getting to the edge or in space quickly. Ball carrier vision is too critical to our game plan and he is just an open space kind of runner.

First of all, when it comes to RBs, is time to stop experimenting with the small models. If you are small, you better be super fast and explosive which LMJ is neither. I had no idea he was so slow until you see his football speed. When you combine that with his tiny stature, he is just too easy to bring down. As far as I am concerned, a great RB like I mentioned has to be explosive and at the same time being able to run with power, these are the 2 key traits before you go down the list of other attributes such as vision and patience.

Then, you talk about KR/PR, if you look around the league, most teams have managed to field a decent return guy whether they are speialists or otherwise. Just at the top of my head to name a few :

• Broncos - Trindon Holliday
  • Vikings - Cordarelle Patterson
  • Seahawks - Jermaine Kearse / Percy Harvin
  • Cowboys - Dwayne Harris
  • Ravens - Jacoby Jones
  • Panthers - Ted Ginn Jr
  • Chiefs - Quintin Demps
  • Bears - Devin Hester
  • Giants - David Wilson

And just in case you are curious, LMJ is ranked 54th this year. So, as you can see, there is no excuse for not having a legit returner, you will only be hurting your team for a chance to win ball games. It also means we are probably crap in drafting the right talents or in developing returners or in fact both. KW was the pits, but I can tell you LMJ is not exaxtly night and day neither. The only guy I saw any signs of potential was Lavelle Hawkins and I am not going to go into a debate why he was cut. Bottomline, as it stands we have NOONE as in ZILCH bonafide returner and we better do something about it come this offseason !!
hopefully theyve got some plays stashed away for this dude on offense. gotta be a reason theyre not running any screens to a guy whos that good with the ball in his hands
First of all, when it comes to RBs, is time to stop experimenting with the small models. If you are small, you better be super fast and explosive which LMJ is neither. I had no idea he was so slow until you see his football speed. When you combine that with his tiny stature, he is just too easy to bring down. As far as I am concerned, a great RB like I mentioned has to be explosive and at the same time being able to run with power, these are the 2 key traits before you go down the list of other attributes such as vision and patience.

Then, you talk about KR/PR, if you look around the league, most teams have managed to field a decent return guy whether they are speialists or otherwise. Just at the top of my head to name a few :

• Broncos - Trindon Holliday
  • Vikings - Cordarelle Patterson
  • Seahawks - Jermaine Kearse / Percy Harvin
  • Cowboys - Dwayne Harris
  • Ravens - Jacoby Jones
  • Panthers - Ted Ginn Jr
  • Chiefs - Quintin Demps
  • Bears - Devin Hester
  • Giants - David Wilson

And just in case you are curious, LMJ is ranked 54th this year. So, as you can see, there is no excuse for not having a legit returner, you will only be hurting your team for a chance to win ball games. It also means we are probably crap in drafting the right talents or in developing returners or in fact both. KW was the pits, but I can tell you LMJ is not exaxtly night and day neither. The only guy I saw any signs of potential was Lavelle Hawkins and I am not going to go into a debate why he was cut. Bottomline, as it stands we have NOONE as in ZILCH bonafide returner and we better do something about it come this offseason !!

LMJ is very fast and explosive LMAO. And easy to bring down? He breaks quite a few tackles for someone as small as he is. He has very good balance....
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sims84:
LMJ is very fast and explosive LMAO. And easy to bring down? He breaks quite a few tackles for someone as small as he is. He has very good balance....

Are you suggesting he is Beast Mode-like ? LMAO.
Originally posted by Sims84:

Are you suggesting he is Beast Mode-like ? LMAO.

absolutely not and he doesn't need to be but he is far more "able" than what you are saying.....
Share 49ersWebzone