LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 379 users in the forums

Brandon Jacobs caravan

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by juycho:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Brandon Jacobs never did a single rep of squats while in NY?

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/05/brandon-jacobs-didnt-dodoin-squats-in-san-francisco.html

Jacobs said the concern when he was with the Giants was that squats - the most basic of all thigh- and butt-building exercises -- wouldn't be good for his knees, so he didn't do them.

But when he arrived with the 49ers, the trainers identified quickness and burst as a shortcoming in his game. Indeed, the critique in New York in recent seasons was that Jacobs has the size and appearance of the ultimate power runner but didn't hit the hole like one and was tripped up in the backfield too often. The 49ers prescribed a regimen of squats, and Jacobs says he notices a difference after only two months.

"My legs already feel a lot stronger," he said. "I'm stronger, I'm more explosive, I'm hitting the hole. I'm just ready to go."

Jacobs said he's slimmer than he was in New York, but he weighs the same. That's due to the muscle he's built up since joining the 49ers, he said. Jacobs turns 30 in July, but he says he's faster than he's been in years.

He might not even make the team now. Who cares!

OK then. Thanks for the input. I'll fire off a tweet to Barrows . . . "Please, no more blogs about players that might not make the team".

BTW, he will make the team.

Thanks for your input Chief!

Time will tell! Besides our backfield is loaded and someone is going to get cut. Hey maybe he will get hurt and it will be a mut point. Did you fire off that Tweet yet EXPERT!
Time will tell! Besides our backfield is loaded and someone is going to get cut. Hey maybe he will get hurt and it will be a mut point. Did you fire off that Tweet yet EXPERT!

No tweet yet. Yes our backfield is loaded and one or two good players will get cut.

I think we'll keep a minimum of five RB's including Miller . . . Gore, Miller, Hunter, Jacobs and James with Dixon and Cartwright fighting for a special teams slot with some of the defensive players.

No tweet yet. Yes our backfield is loaded and one or two good players will get cut.

I think we'll keep a minimum of five RB's including Miller . . . Gore, Miller, Hunter, Jacobs and James with Dixon and Cartwright fighting for a special teams slot with some of the defensive players.

I feel like Jacobs was an insurance policy for the draft. James make Jacobs expendable, but you could be right. How many we keep will depend on how many linemen we keep. There is about to be some painful cut or hopefully some trades for a few more picks.
[ Edited by juycho on May 26, 2012 at 8:07 AM ]
I like the Jacobs signing though. I think he could be the answer on 3rd and goal or 3rd and 3-4. You know the place we struggled heavily last year. I think Harbaugh may just test the waters with him and if he doesn't work out then no big loss. I think he could be a key 3rd down back though.
Originally posted by BayArea:
I like the Jacobs signing though. I think he could be the answer on 3rd and goal or 3rd and 3-4. You know the place we struggled heavily last year. I think Harbaugh may just test the waters with him and if he doesn't work out then no big loss. I think he could be a key 3rd down back though.
Agreed as long as LMJ struggles or is hurt. There is too many RBs

I feel like Jacobs was an insurance policy for the draft. James make Jacobs expendable, but you could be right. How many we keep will depend on how many linemen we keep. There is about to be some painful cut or hopefully some trades for a few more picks.

He doesn't make Jacobs expendable dude. They are 2 totally different backs. Jacobs is a situational back for us who could play more depending on how good of shape he's in. Jacobs is coming in on 3rd and 3 or less. James is for screen passes and outside runs. He's going to take Anthony Dixon's roster spot. Honestly if we had a back like Jacobs last season we win the super bowl because we'd have converted a few 3rd downs vs the Giants and score atleast 1 more FG, possible another touchdown or 2.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

He doesn't make Jacobs expendable dude. They are 2 totally different backs. Jacobs is a situational back for us who could play more depending on how good of shape he's in. Jacobs is coming in on 3rd and 3 or less. James is for screen passes and outside runs. He's going to take Anthony Dixon's roster spot. Honestly if we had a back like Jacobs last season we win the super bowl because we'd have converted a few 3rd downs vs the Giants and score atleast 1 more FG, possible another touchdown or 2.

LMJ is just as good at goal line. I agree Dixon is most likely gone too.
I don't think Cartwright will get cut because he can return punts and kicks also. Plus, he is a special teams ace-or that's what I've seen somewhere. Damn, this team has too much talent.
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
I don't think Cartwright will get cut because he can return punts and kicks also. Plus, he is a special teams ace-or that's what I've seen somewhere. Damn, this team has too much talent.

I agree, that is why Davis should be cut as well as Jacobs. We could still use a little more depth. We can fill that in next year though. I love what Harbs is doing.

It doesn't matter if he's good at the goal line. You need someone reliable to convert on 3rd downs where they know you're going to run. Jacobs is that guy. If he can get back the burst he had in his earlier years, he could be a really good addition too. Remember when the NY Giants had the Earth/Wind/Fire backfield? We kind of have that. We have 4 legitimately good running backs.

It doesn't matter if he's good at the goal line. You need someone reliable to convert on 3rd downs where they know you're going to run. Jacobs is that guy. If he can get back the burst he had in his earlier years, he could be a really good addition too. Remember when the NY Giants had the Earth/Wind/Fire backfield? We kind of have that. We have 4 legitimately good running backs.
I agree, IF he can pull that off, but I am not convenced he will. You could be right though. I hope he surprises us and gets back to his original form from a few years ago. It is all IFFY.
I agree, that is why Davis should be cut as well as Jacobs. We could still use a little more depth. We can fill that in next year though. I love what Harbs is doing.

Who is davis?
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:

Who is davis?

All Hell! I meant Dixon. Thanks for paying attention details.
guy gets pummelled...lol

All Hell! I meant Dixon. Thanks for paying attention details.

Lol good I was reading your comment and going wait a minute we need ALL of our Davis' lol
Share 49ersWebzone