LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

Josh Johnson or Colin Kaepernick?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Josh Johnson or Colin Kaepernick?

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
CK should win the starting job in training camp there really isn't much competition.
why the f**k are people bringing up preseason stats?
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on May 25, 2012 at 4:35 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
why the f**k are people bringing up preseason stats?

They are brought up to discredit Smith. Until they are proven incorrect, then the pre-season stats are determined meaningless..

Back on topic, I think Johnsons familiarity with Harbaughs offense + NFL game experience give him the advantage over CK.
[ Edited by HomerJ on May 25, 2012 at 5:39 PM ]
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by kush:
it sure aint pretty but it comes out quicker than Alex's ball and it hums so I won't complain about it.

I think his overall release is slower, but once the ball goes, it goes like a brett favre throw in the 90s.

Gotta disagree. I am a bit biased b/c I seem to like CK more than most and have never been turned by his throwing motion.

That being said I spent time watching highlights of CK and AS side by side and according to my eye CK is quicker from the moment his motion starts to release.
Originally posted by HomerJ:
They are brought up to discredit Smith. Until they are proven incorrect, then the pre-season stats are determined meaningless..

Back on topic, I think Johnsons familiarity with Harbaughs offense + NFL game experience give him the advantage over CK.

LOL wtf are you talking about? The poster who brought up the incorrect stats was off by 12 QB points. You think Alex, a 7 year vet, deserves some acclaim for beating out his rookie teammate in qb rating by less than 15-20 points. Alex had a sub 50 rating in the preseason and a 90+ ratin in th regular season.

The point was Kaeps poor preseason QB rating was not something to look into too far. Is this logic flawed somehow?

As for JJ vs. CK... The fact that Jim harbaugh traded up into essentially the 1st round to draft CK coupled with the fact that JJs agent approached US this offseason to get him on our team tells me what I need to know. Kaep is number 2. The real discussion at this point should be JJ vs. Tolzien.
Originally posted by susweel:
CK should win the starting job in training camp there really isn't much competition.

Lol are you just trying to rouse some rabbles or do you really believe this?
Originally posted by kush:

LOL wtf are you talking about? The poster who brought up the incorrect stats was off by 12 QB points. You think Alex, a 7 year vet, deserves some acclaim for beating out his rookie teammate in qb rating by less than 15-20 points. Alex had a sub 50 rating in the preseason and a 90+ ratin in th regular season.

The point was Kaeps poor preseason QB rating was not something to look into too far. Is this logic flawed somehow?

As for JJ vs. CK... The fact that Jim harbaugh traded up into essentially the 1st round to draft CK coupled with the fact that JJs agent approached US this offseason to get him on our team tells me what I need to know. Kaep is number 2. The real discussion at this point should be JJ vs. Tolzien.

so are pre-season stats meaningless or not? they seem to only carry weight when used to discredit Smith.. CK, not so much, its just preseason, right? And I could be wrong but i believe Anthony Dixon (or coffee or thomas Clayton or Nate Davis) led the pre-season in rushing or passing one season... so it is what it is..

As far as CK being traded up for, he was the 6th QB taken... 6TH! QBs were flying off the board, and we had zero depth at the position. I'd say that pick was a draft for need and nothing more.
so are pre-season stats meaningless or not? they seem to only carry weight when used to discredit Smith.. CK, not so much, its just preseason, right? And I could be wrong but i believe Anthony Dixon (or coffee or thomas Clayton or Nate Davis) led the pre-season in rushing or passing one season... so it is what it is..

As far as CK being traded up for, he was the 6th QB taken... 6TH! QBs were flying off the board, and we had zero depth at the position. I'd say that pick was a draft for need and nothing more.

Dude no ones discrediting Alex Smith, the point is preseason stats have no bearing on regular season performance.

And as for your speculation that we traded up to fill a need in some sort of panicked frenzy:

A)doesn't sound like a trent baalke move at all, seeing as he's a guy known for not panicking or going above his slot for any player

B)it doesn't matter how many QBs were taken before Kaepernick, all that matters is where he was on Harbaughs board. You'll recall, or not, that Harbaugh had david Carr ranked as a 6th rounder the year he went number 1 overall. He also had Tony romo and David Garrard as 2nd rounders the same year...my point is he's his own guy and he'll have a unique board for QBs so you can't use how many QBs went before him as some sort of proof CK wasn't actually thought of highly by our team.

the proofs in the pudding, we traded UP for him. We gave up precious draft resources for him. And were comfortable with him ALL year as the number 2 on a Super Bowl contender despite the fact that other veterans were available on the cheap and our QB was taking a pounding.
must go with C.K. he was our second draft pick . J.H. first O.B.pick so if he wins the 2 spot that saying some thing.I just want the next great 49ers Q.B.
Originally posted by JD9671:
must go with C.K. he was our second draft pick . J.H. first O.B.pick so if he wins the 2 spot that saying some thing.I just want the next great 49ers Q.B.

same here

it will really say something about how hes progressing if he gets beat out by JJ

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by JD9671:

same here

it will really say something about how hes progressing if he gets beat out by JJ

I think CK has a lot more upside but, JJ could surprise everyone with Harbs a his mentor again.
I wish Colin get his shot this year... I believe we'll see a much better Off
JJ was brought in to light a bigger fire under CK's butt, so CK can work even harder to win that 2nd spot. It will be A.Smith Starting QB , Kaep beating out JJ easily for #2 and JJ will be #3
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by 49ersHeroine:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He was one of the worst QB's I've ever seen in the preseason. Running into the RB on handoffs.

Umm hello! This is a rookie who had a week of trainning camp, and a minamal chunk of a complex playbook to Make Sir Isaac Newton Sweat. And your complaining about how he looked in preseason? Alex performed worse than CK7, plus alex has 7years more experience on him. I'm positive Alex will be sitting the pine by week 4.

Umm...hiya, I wanna ask what you are smoking and if you have any for sale because that s**t must be the chronic.
Alex had a lower QB Rating than Colin in the preseason.....Alex was near the bottom of all NFL QBs Starting or backup for preseason.

Alex showed drastic improvement during the regular season....and Colin did his part as well when ever given the chance in the regular season as well. He was accurate against the Bucs when he came in. Colin was a rookie....for him to show improvement after also dealing with that crazy preseason should show that you don't have to be on chronic to see that Colin can also learn from Harbaugh...like Alex has.

CK is the hope for the future, will he pan out? Who knows? But barring disaster, there is no way he is starting week four. Someone is really high if they really think that. Colin should continue to improve since we actually have a coach that knows how to, but even with improvement he looked not ready for prime time.

Guys, this thread is for Josh Johnson or Colin Kaepernick discussions. It is not to discuss Alex Smith. We have a thread for that. Stick to topic or I will issue warnings and lock this thread.

I said nothing about Smith, my post is all about CK and his chances at developing into a good player due to having a coach that can develop a qb.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
CK needs another 6 years to develop. Extend him nao
Share 49ersWebzone