There are 170 users in the forums

Josh Johnson or Colin Kaepernick?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Josh Johnson or Colin Kaepernick?

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

No secret, this team is ready for a realistic run at the SB and winning it. If alex were injured, do you want the guy with a ton of potential or the guy who is nfl ready to go in? That's an easy one. Long term is a different matter, but having that one guy who can go in and still run the team like our #1, is critical to getting to and winning the SB.

If you think Harbaugh hid Smith last year under a conservative offense, Harbaugh will buried these inexperience guys under runs and playactions.
Second-year quarterback Colin Kaepernick enters training camp as Alex Smith's backup. And he is the favorite to hold onto that spot. If you watch Johnson drop back and throw the football during individual drills, it's a thing of beauty. He throws a tight spiral and produces a very catchable ball for his targets. That's probably the "good things" you heard or read.

But that's not a realistic way to judge a quarterback. After all, a quarterback's job in a game is a lot more complex. Any quarterback is lucky if half of his throws come after a straight drop with a clean pocket.

While Johnson's throws during one-on-ones were more impressive, Kaepernick was generally better when it came to 11-on-11 work and two-minute drills. Kaepernick seems to be at his best while navigating the unexpected. He can make plays with his strong arm or his legs when a play breaks down.

So that's where things stand with just one week before rookies report to 49ers training camp on July 21.

Johnson was the backup with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He didn't sign with the 49ers to be demoted, so the daily competition for the No. 2 job is definitely going to be worth watching this summer.

Good article.
Link
http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/49ers-Mailbag-Kaepernick-enters-camp-as-?blockID=740192&feedID=2800
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Second-year quarterback Colin Kaepernick enters training camp as Alex Smith's backup. And he is the favorite to hold onto that spot. If you watch Johnson drop back and throw the football during individual drills, it's a thing of beauty. He throws a tight spiral and produces a very catchable ball for his targets. That's probably the "good things" you heard or read.

But that's not a realistic way to judge a quarterback. After all, a quarterback's job in a game is a lot more complex. Any quarterback is lucky if half of his throws come after a straight drop with a clean pocket.

While Johnson's throws during one-on-ones were more impressive, Kaepernick was generally better when it came to 11-on-11 work and two-minute drills. Kaepernick seems to be at his best while navigating the unexpected. He can make plays with his strong arm or his legs when a play breaks down.

So that's where things stand with just one week before rookies report to 49ers training camp on July 21.

Johnson was the backup with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He didn't sign with the 49ers to be demoted, so the daily competition for the No. 2 job is definitely going to be worth watching this summer.

Good article.
Link
http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/49ers-Mailbag-Kaepernick-enters-camp-as-?blockID=740192&feedID=2800

Great! He's only good when the offense has gone FUBAR. We should let G-Ro know his offense isn't capable of sustaining a traditional dropback, full mechanic qb.
And because Harbaugh was demonstrating the finer points of the dropback and mechanic just to look good in camp. Because in game time situation they get to do none of those things. And Walsh put out his qb camp vid just so he can be on YouTube.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jul 16, 2012 at 9:08 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Good article.
Link

Great! He's only good when the offense has gone FUBAR. We should let G-Ro know his offense isn't capable of sustaining a traditional dropback, full mechanic qb.
And because Harbaugh was demonstrating the finer points of the dropback and mechanic just to look good in camp. Because in game time situation they get to do none of those things. And Walsh put out his qb camp vid just so he can be on YouTube.

Alex Smith never got the memo in the bold. No point in making Johnson 2nd string since our 1st stringer does the exact same thing.

At least with Kaep being the backup, he will provide a slightly different style and possible success.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Alex Smith never got the memo in the bold. No point in making Johnson 2nd string since our 1st stringer does the exact same thing.

At least with Kaep being the backup, he will provide a slightly different style and possible success.

I'm pretty sure he got the memo after Rocky Bernard drove his shoulder into the ground. Or several times before that when he has to run for his life after Kwame Harris failed to put a holding on his guy. OK, I know you're just trying to make a point.

I don't think article is true to the mechanic to functional game time situations line of thinking. Kaep's better functioning in 11 on 11 than Johnson may just be because he has been with this Harbaugh/Roman offense a full year longer than Johnson who just came from Tampa. Not exclusively due to better or worse mechanics.

Because Johnson has better traditional mechanics somehow makes him less effect during closer to gametime situation practices... Why is Harbaugh wasting his time teaching these guys the repertoire of drop back and other qb mechanics. Seems silly to me.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
both played hord
There is a lot of talent on the roster at the QB position beyond the starting slot...whereoughs, Kaep is very atheletic, and Johnson has a few more snaps, my personal fave for b-up is Tolzien hands down. I really like his comfort level in the pocket and his ability to make the right decision(s) fast!!!
He has a well rounded atheletic ability,a good arm with a tight spiral...
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Good article.
Link

lol
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF49rzFreek:
There is a lot of talent on the roster at the QB position beyond the starting slot...whereoughs, Kaep is very atheletic, and Johnson has a few more snaps, my personal fave for b-up is Tolzien hands down. I really like his comfort level in the pocket and his ability to make the right decision(s) fast!!!

Tolzien won't make the roster now that JJ is in the picture. You're judging him based on preseason games from a year ago. Likely in the game against us where he faced very little pressure against 3rd/4th stringers. He could conceivably beat JJ with a great preseason but only if JJ also just completely sucks which I doubt.
Member Milestone: This is post number 900 for IdahoNiner.
Originally posted by mike:

Tolzien won't make the roster now that JJ is in the picture. You're judging him based on preseason games from a year ago. Likely in the game against us where he faced very little pressure against 3rd/4th stringers. He could conceivably beat JJ with a great preseason but only if JJ also just completely sucks which I doubt.
Josh Johnson has to prove he can be on the roster just like Tolzien does. People counting Tolzien out simply because JJ got signed is rediculous. He was brought in to compete with and push the rookies. JJ may be the only one out of the three with a body of work to look at, but lets not forget, calling that body of work mediocre would be a stretch.

You cant condemn people for judging Tolzien on preseason, while at the same time largely basing JJ's skills on his body of work in college. Lets all be honest here, he was not great for TB.

Oh and by the way, Tolzien was pressured alot in that Game, and it wasnt all third and fourth stringers. Aldon had 2 1/2 sacks and 4 qb preasures as well as 7 tackles. He and Dobbs were pretty dominate that game.

And that article is rediculous. he didnt come to the niners for a demotion your right, he came because it was the only place he had a possibility to stick, simply because his history with Harbaugh. Its not like people were kicking his door down trying to sign him. May the best men get the spots. I personally hope the two young guys make it, but if JJ beats one out so be it. But Tolzien will be snatched if we try to PS him.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Jul 17, 2012 at 11:48 AM ]

Jolin Kaeperson
Never been a fan of Johnson.

I watched Kap play in Vegas - he has some athleticism!

I only saw Tolzein in that one pre-season game - he definitely had poise and pocket presence. I don't know enough about him.

Glad JH will make the call.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by mike:

Josh Johnson has to prove he can be on the roster just like Tolzien does. People counting Tolzien out simply because JJ got signed is rediculous. He was brought in to compete with and push the rookies. JJ may be the only one out of the three with a body of work to look at, but lets not forget, calling that body of work mediocre would be a stretch.

You cant condemn people for judging Tolzien on preseason, while at the same time largely basing JJ's skills on his body of work in college. Lets all be honest here, he was not great for TB.

Oh and by the way, Tolzien was pressured alot in that Game, and it wasnt all third and fourth stringers. Aldon had 2 1/2 sacks and 4 qb preasures as well as 7 tackles. He and Dobbs were pretty dominate that game.

And that article is rediculous. he didnt come to the niners for a demotion your right, he came because it was the only place he had a possibility to stick, simply because his history with Harbaugh. Its not like people were kicking his door down trying to sign him. May the best men get the spots. I personally hope the two young guys make it, but if JJ beats one out so be it. But Tolzien will be snatched if we try to PS him.

Agree. All thi ta;lk about it being a two way battle for the backup job, and not including Tolzien in the mix has me annoyed. People are enamored of the physical tools of Kaep and Johnson to the point they're not giving Tolzien a fair appraisal. He could be the best of he three, and ultimately, maybe the four. Let's hopw he gets a fair shot in camp. Would hate to see someone grab him off the PS.
According to "sources," the battle could be between Kaep and Smith for all we know.
Originally posted by Joecool:
According to "sources," the battle could be between Kaep and Smith for all we know.

Link?
Share 49ersWebzone