LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 281 users in the forums

Josh Johnson or Colin Kaepernick?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Josh Johnson or Colin Kaepernick?

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Wrong. Because he is just as proven,(which is not proven at all) as the other two guys. (JJ has obviously been in the league longer, but wasnt very good and probally mismanaged in TB) and he has just as good a shot of any of them at clenching the #2 backup role. I dont care who wins the backup role, im just not one to count out a QB as tenacious as Tolzien. I think he has as good a shot as the other two and may the best man win.

The fact that he went undrafted, and we scooped him from SD, does not make him any less desirable than the other two QB's. Harbaugh wanted to sign him before he signed with SD and when he went to PS we went and got him. Harbaugh likes something about the kid or he wouldnt have gone after him twice. We will find out soon enough though, because i dont beleive Harbaugh will play favorites, and will give each QB plenty or opportunities to prove what they got.

So then it IS pretty much because he hasn't proven that he cannot be a good QB but he has proper mechanics and has the more prototypical QB look so he's getting all this love?

Or is it the San Diego preseason game that showed so much?
Originally posted by genus49:
Wrong. Because he is just as proven,(which is not proven at all) as the other two guys. (JJ has obviously been in the league longer, but wasnt very good and probally mismanaged in TB) and he has just as good a shot of any of them at clenching the #2 backup role. I dont care who wins the backup role, im just not one to count out a QB as tenacious as Tolzien. I think he has as good a shot as the other two and may the best man win.

The fact that he went undrafted, and we scooped him from SD, does not make him any less desirable than the other two QB's. Harbaugh wanted to sign him before he signed with SD and when he went to PS we went and got him. Harbaugh likes something about the kid or he wouldnt have gone after him twice. We will find out soon enough though, because i dont beleive Harbaugh will play favorites, and will give each QB plenty or opportunities to prove what they got.

So then it IS pretty much because he hasn't proven that he cannot be a good QB but he has proper mechanics and has the more prototypical QB look so he's getting all this love?

Or is it the San Diego preseason game that showed so much?

No one is giving him any more love than the other two. In fact he was totally left off this poll. Im simply stating that he has as good a shot as the other two of being a good QB. To count him out simply because CK was drafted, and JJ played in san diego in college is ridiculous. FWIW Kaep was my second rated QB behind Dalton.
It's a tough cookie that will only be resolved over camp/preseason. -Josh Johnson is a vet, but he's f**king terrible (and Harbaugh doesn't have a boner for old QB vets, regardless of history, as Mike Nolan did).
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by GoldMine:
We really dont know anything about any of the three QBs yet. But I get the feeling Harbaugh has a man crush on JJ and last year Harbaugh absolutely had to draft a QB early to attempt to silence the AS haters for a while. Im rooting for CK though.
i do not care. I just want our backup qb spot to be more solid this year than last year. we got lucky cuz alex never got hurt and I do not want to temp fate again. I do not know about any man crush. i think the coach feels that Ck has a ways to go, despite what some on this forum feel, before he is nfl ready to be a starter. JJ was the best option out there in regards to a free agent and he has a working relationship with him so that was another plus for johnson. The reason why he moved up and took a quarterback last year was because AT THE TIME,,, he had no idea what he had in alex smith. The coach could care less about politics and trying to silence alex haters. sorry but i do not conform to your theory

I agree w you, but how do u know CK is not nfl ready....?
I bet if we had Dalton as our back up, u would probably b saying the same about him....
and pls dont get me wrong... I rather have AS starting
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
It's a tough cookie that will only be resolved over camp/preseason. -Josh Johnson is a vet, but he's f**king terrible (and Harbaugh doesn't have a boner for old QB vets, regardless of history, as Mike Nolan did).

I agree. it will get sorted out and may the best man win. Im kinda in the same boat about JJ, but feel he will most definitely improve within the system if thats what Harbaugh wants. My feeling on JJ is that he was brought in to light a fire under the ass of the rookies, see if one of them fails, see if he could stick, but ultimately he will probally be cut.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Still no errection stems bigger for vet qbs than that of Jon Gruden.
Originally posted by fly15:
We really dont know anything about any of the three QBs yet. But I get the feeling Harbaugh has a man crush on JJ and last year Harbaugh absolutely had to draft a QB early to attempt to silence the AS haters for a while. Im rooting for CK though.
i do not care. I just want our backup qb spot to be more solid this year than last year. we got lucky cuz alex never got hurt and I do not want to temp fate again. I do not know about any man crush. i think the coach feels that Ck has a ways to go, despite what some on this forum feel, before he is nfl ready to be a starter. JJ was the best option out there in regards to a free agent and he has a working relationship with him so that was another plus for johnson. The reason why he moved up and took a quarterback last year was because AT THE TIME,,, he had no idea what he had in alex smith. The coach could care less about politics and trying to silence alex haters. sorry but i do not conform to your theory

I bet if we had Dalton as our back up, u would probably b saying the same about him....

I agree with this. Young QB's will always make mistakes and awlays have something to prove, but they cant prove it untill given a shot. Alex is the QB for the foreseeable future. At this pint all that can be judged is the body of work in practice and preseason, which yes can give you hints, but you never know the intangibles, or gamesmanship of a QB untill he is in there. I personally like both the young kids and hope they compete hard and earn a spot on the roster.
We're basing this off of... what exactly?

At least wait until after the preseason games are done.

i think ppl including me are saying CK isnt ready mainly due to his mechanics and also coming of a pistol offense he has to adjust to being more of a pass first qb and read defesnes (most iportant and he hasnt/ didnt have to do that in college level that much if at all)

a lot of this is based of last years preseason and this years OTA and minicamp so obviously its very sketchy at best
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Jul 15, 2012 at 5:02 PM ]
smith, kaep, tolzien.

Originally posted by NickSh49:

From the looks of the OP, it just sounds like a preference question... as in, which QB of the two do you prefer (hope) to win the # 2 role.

Seems fair enough... though some (like me) don't really much care which one outshines the other.. just as long as one of them steps up.

I agree with this. Young QB's will always make mistakes and awlays have something to prove, but they cant prove it untill given a shot. Alex is the QB for the foreseeable future. At this pint all that can be judged is the body of work in practice and preseason, which yes can give you hints, but you never know the intangibles, or gamesmanship of a QB untill he is in there. I personally like both the young kids and hope they compete hard and earn a spot on the roster.

Yup. Dalton was pretty bad in the pre season like Kaep and Dalton also came from a college shotgun offense i believe. Season went ok for him, but you saw the mistakes.

Can't say he's a bust until he is given a chance to bust, I still think he'll be a solid #2 for us. Hopefully we dont need em yet.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

i think ppl including me are saying CK isnt ready mainly due to his mechanics and also coming of a pistol offense he has to adjust to being more of a pass first qb and read defesnes (most iportant and he hasnt/ didnt have to do that in college level that much if at all)

a lot of this is based of last years preseason and this years OTA and minicamp so obviously its very sketchy at best

it was about time I agree w you on something....

u forgot to post some of your platonic stats....
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by NickSh49:

From the looks of the OP, it just sounds like a preference question... as in, which QB of the two do you prefer (hope) to win the # 2 role.

Seems fair enough... though some (like me) don't really much care which one outshines the other.. just as long as one of them steps up.

The answer, of course, is TOLZIEN.
Man, last yr we got a peek at Kap, and then saw Tolz in a PS game, where he looked stellar...and NFL ready. Then, SD cut him, which I couldn't understand, as he looked like he belonged out there. Frankly, I don't care who is #2, or #3, but i dam well expect our #2 to be ready to go in and look like he has always been there. When Tolz was in, he looked like he could take over tomorrow. Kap, who may have more potential, didn't. JJ i don't know enuf about so will just accept what Coach H thinks...and he obviously liked him. I still believe that JJ is here to see how he plays vs Kap and Tolz. If JJ is better than either of those two, then Coach H will keep him. If not , he goes. But as far as who is the guy who can go in and give us a bonafide starter, it is Tolz for my money, and a lot of others also. Potential wise, I have no idea what his is. I DO know, he is the guy we want going in if alex, God forbid, gets injured. I want the guy, as everyone else does, who is nfl ready. For that my vote goes to Tolz...by a country mile.

No secret, this team is ready for a realistic run at the SB and winning it. If alex were injured, do you want the guy with a ton of potential or the guy who is nfl ready to go in? That's an easy one. Long term is a different matter, but having that one guy who can go in and still run the team like our #1, is critical to getting to and winning the SB.
Share 49ersWebzone