LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 205 users in the forums

Frank Gore HOF material?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tsty:
If Roger Craig ca'nt get in,I'm not so sure about Frank......................yet.

I agree. Craig changed the way backs are utilized and he's still not in the HOF. I love Gore, but without a couple more good seasons and possibly a SB ring, I don't think he gets in. The Niner HOF, no question though!
Originally posted by gavindirishmen:
Frank is great Niner. He is not a hall of famer. He only has couple years left in the tank and just over 7600 total rushing yards.
In the current era he'd need to get to 12,000 + for consideration in my mind. He's not gonna make it. I hope we get Frank
a SuperBowl ring though. He deserves it.

12,000+ Yards just to make it? i dont know about all that, i think it has alot more to do with how many years hes played, dual backs etc.. however those are things that will keep him out of the hall of fame.. a guy like adrian peterson being a one feature back would be the type of player to get into the HOF. i do agree though i dont think he will make the HOF even though he had that great 1600 yard year
He's a great player, but I don't see him getting the numbers to get in. Harbaugh is going to use Hunter and Jacobs this year to keep Frank fresh. It's hard to put up HOF stats in a RB committee scenario. A realistic good season and he's looking a around 1200 yds and 6 TDs. His receiving skills help, but I dont think we'll see him as the workhorse like we have in the past.
I don't think he will get in unless he really tears it up in his final years. As much as we love Frankie, the clock is ticking on his career.

When looking at the Hall of Fame, you have to look at what they did compared to others at their position in the same year. The top players around Gore's age are S-Jax, AP and MJD, and I think they will have better careers most likely when its all said and done if they stay healthy.
Basically two seasons have passed since the last post and Gore still running strong. Most likely he will surpass the 10,000 career rushing mark this Sunday! That won't be enough, even though he's listed at 29th on the all time rushing list. He's fighting Father Time but he had a solid year in 2013 and is in an RB friendly system. If he can surpass the 12,000 mark he has a real good chance. So he'll need only two more 1,000 yard seasons which also would also provide another 20 TDs. If he can do that with a Super Bowl MVP, I think he's a lock.
[ Edited by Olejohnnyboy on Dec 27, 2013 at 7:15 PM ]
What you guys aren't taking into account is Frank's popularity league-wide, everyone respects the guy, and seeing how the hall of fame is a popularity contest as much as it is about stats, he has a decent chance.
5000 yards + RB's during Frank's era (in no order, RBs within 5 years of Frank's age:

Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, MJD, Steven Jackson, Chris Johnson, DeAngelo Williams, Matt Forte, LeSean McCoy, Jamal Charles, Ronnie Brown, Reggie Bush, Brandon Jacobs, Fred Jackson, Arian Foster, LaDanian Tomlinson, Edgerrin James, Jamal Lewis, Thomas Jones, Clinton Portis, Michael Turner, Brian Westbrook, Larry Johnson, Duece McAllister, Travis Henry, Cedrick Benson, Rudi Johnson, Willie Parker

I'd say 5 of those guys above will be HOF inductees. So is Frank Gore top 5 out of that above group?

I think AP is clearly better. I think LaDanian Tomlinson definitely has a better career resume. That leaves 3 spots open.

Steven Jackson and Frank Gore are very neck-to-neck career wise.

MJD, Marshawn Lynch, LeSean McCoy, Ray Rice, and Jamal Charles COULD end up with better careers. Or they could get injured next year and be finished.
Yes. No one like him.
If he can reach 12,000 yards, which will take two more seasons, I don't see him missing the HOF.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
5000 yards + RB's during Frank's era (in no order, RBs within 5 years of Frank's age:

Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, MJD, Steven Jackson, Chris Johnson, DeAngelo Williams, Matt Forte, LeSean McCoy, Jamal Charles, Ronnie Brown, Reggie Bush, Brandon Jacobs, Fred Jackson, Arian Foster, LaDanian Tomlinson, Edgerrin James, Jamal Lewis, Thomas Jones, Clinton Portis, Michael Turner, Brian Westbrook, Larry Johnson, Duece McAllister, Travis Henry, Cedrick Benson, Rudi Johnson, Willie Parker

I'd say 5 of those guys above will be HOF inductees. So is Frank Gore top 5 out of that above group?

I think AP is clearly better. I think LaDanian Tomlinson definitely has a better career resume. That leaves 3 spots open.

Steven Jackson and Frank Gore are very neck-to-neck career wise.

MJD, Marshawn Lynch, LeSean McCoy, Ray Rice, and Jamal Charles COULD end up with better careers. Or they could get injured next year and be finished.

One thing that i think needs to be considered is Gore is carrying a 4.6 yard career average. Thats better than pretty much everyone on that list besides Peterson, and Charles. Its better than Tomlinson, Lynch, Rice, Jackson, Portis, MJD, James, Turner, Forte etc. I could go on pretty much through the entire list.

Some of those guys you listed don't even belong in the same discussion as Gore. I know you were just listing them, but still.

Gore has a shot, at this point its an outside shot, but he has two good years left IMO. Two more 1000 yard seasons, Maybe even just one more, and another couple of good post seasons, gets him in.

He was the MVP of the post season last year IMO. 319 yards, a 5.1 average, and 4 TD's in three games played. He sparked the super bowl comeback as well. Had we won that performance would have been one for the history books. He had a 5.8 yards per carry average in that game.

I dont see how you can put Curtis Martin in, and not Gore. Unless something major happens, Gore is probably going to be effective for another 2-3 years.
No. He's hall of Gore material!
Originally posted by Niners99:
I dont see how you can put Curtis Martin in, and not Gore. Unless something major happens, Gore is probably going to be effective for another 2-3 years.

Uh really Martin had over 14,000 rush yards and over 17,000 total yards with a 103.8 total yard per game career and 100 TD's Martin was good really good.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
What you guys aren't taking into account is Frank's popularity league-wide, everyone respects the guy, and seeing how the hall of fame is a popularity contest as much as it is about stats, he has a decent chance.

I hope this is the case. Frank Gore is much more than a player that'll show up in the stat book. He's been one of the best blocking RBs of his era
A couple more 1,000 yard seasons and it's a definite yes. Right now it's probably a no unless we win the 'ship.
Share 49ersWebzone