LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Why did Smith audible to change the call to a run play on the 2 point conversion attempt?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
He was playing great all day, but I was really disappointed at this audible. It seemed like the box was totally and completely stacked to stop the run, and then Alex audibled to change it from a pass play to a run play, and we got stuffed. What was he seeing that made him call this audible? Anybody catch it? I wish we would have spread the field like the Saints did on their successful 2 point conversion. Alex has historically been good in these red zone passing situations.
moot point now
would be differebt if we got the FG instead if we got the FG instead of TD
  • rserda
  • Veteran
because he thought he saw something in the defense that obviously wasn't there.
Yeah, the Saints baited him into a play call which they wanted them to run.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by canadian49erfan:

but what did he see that baited him? That's what I'm asking. They had blatantly stacked the box against the run, I didn't see any deception at all. That's what it looked like to me anyways. I just thought it was a very uncharacteristic decision for someone having the best game of his life. Not complaining at all, I'm just curious to find out what he was seeing that we didn't (or at least I didn't).
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by canadian49erfan:

but what did he see that baited him? That's what I'm asking. They had blatantly stacked the box against the run, I didn't see any deception at all. That's what it looked like to me anyways. I just thought it was a very uncharacteristic decision for someone having the best game of his life. Not complaining at all, I'm just curious to find out what he was seeing that we didn't (or at least I didn't).

Have to watch the film...
Probably a good question for a reporter to ask Smith this week but doubt it will be since the questions should and will be about the NFC championship game.
I can't remember who said it last light, maybe Dilfer, but somebody mentioned that the Saints disguised something to induce the audible. Harbs was clearly not thrilled.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I can't remember who said it last light, maybe Dilfer, but somebody mentioned that the Saints disguised something to induce the audible. Harbs was clearly not thrilled.

yeah, Deion said it too. He was laughing and saying that Alex got fooled big time. No problem though, we got the last laugh on the aints.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

If I'm not wrong, this is the first year in Smith's career that he has been allowed to change the call at the line of scrimmage. He hasn't really messed that up before that I've noticed. You are right that Harbaugh looked pissed that Smith audibled to a run play against a defense stacked against the run. Did you see how easy the Saints got a 2 point conversion? It was actually embarrassing. That's the perfect sort of play, and Smith is good at those goal line throws.

Why r u so sure the original call was a pass play?

Did smith or Harbaugh say it was originally a pass?
Share 49ersWebzone