There are 216 users in the forums

Brandon Jacobs a 49er

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
So u wanted to spend more money on a back up RB?

Maybe for a lil less money,but if he got 10-12 mil from us,wouldnt have complained as much.he's on the way up,Jacobs has went backwards
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on Mar 28, 2012 at 11:22 AM ]
If Brandon Jacobs is running angry behind one of Harbaugh's three tight end sets, we're going to see a lot of these third and two's and fourth and 1's converted into first downs. And I like that combo down on those first and goals from the five or six. Could be brutal for opposing defenses.
Anthony Dixon ‏ @Boobie24Dixon
Only thing I can control is my attitude N my preparation,Competition brings out da best in us,I know it does me! #Grinding #WelcomeB.Jacobs
Wow, my most hated player in the league goes to SF.

Worst signing since Lawrence Phillips.

A no-talent, washed up bum that runs his mouth every chance he gets, putting added/undue pressure on his team.

HATE HATE HATE THIS MOVE. I watch the Giants constantly and this guy is a hack.
I'd feel more comfortable with Hunter and Jacobs if Gire were to go down with an injury.

Has Jerry Rice spoken out on the signing?
[ Edited by YungAce on Mar 28, 2012 at 11:18 AM ]
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
I wanted forsett but thought we were done signing rbs
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Teams can plug in rookie RBs pretty easily as well sign them in free agency, so waiting for the 2013 off-season to address our RB needs is the most likely scenario. Btw, 3-down backs are becoming both rare and irrelevant, especially in the style of offense that Harbaugh runs where we run a ton of power formations. I hate to say it, but RBs in these systems are almost a dime-a-dozen and having a top-tier, "3-down" back isn't really necessary. Definitely nice to have one, but the team can function just fine without one.

Point being, I don't see many teams feeling "desperate' for RB talent, since it's plentiful (and relatively cheap) both in the draft and in free agency.

Now, you could be right and we could try and address the RB situation with an eye towards the future...just don't be shocked if we wait until the later rounds to do it.

I'm not advocating for a first round RB. Just starting RB talent, regardless of round.

My point about waiting til next year is that, next offseason, we will be desperate for starting RB talent. So, it puts us (a run first team) in a tough spot to secure somebody reliable. If somebody of starting value makes it to us this draft, we should take him. That way, we avoid the desperation next offseason.

I hear you, just saying that RBs are more and more becoming commodities, and not very highly valued in comparison to other offensive weapons. So even if Gore and Jacobs aren't around in 2013, I don't think it would be difficult to replace them in the 2013 draft. There are only so many roster spots available, and unless something crazy happens, I see Gore, Jacobs and Hunter as the RB rotation with Miller as the FB and Cartwright as the RB/FB/special teamer.

We would have to count on a non-first rounder (say, a 2nd-4th rounder) beating out proven veterans for a 2012 roster spot (Gore and Jacobs) or a young back that Baalke just drafted who already knows the offense and showed play-making ability (Hunter). It's possible, but I personally don't see it happening, so that could be a waste of a 2nd-4th round pick. Now, using a 5th-7th is more likely as you can always PS that guy and have him ready for next year, and you're still getting value out of the pick. And truth is, there probably isn't a ton of difference in terms of talent/potential production between a 2nd RB or a UDFA...that's how commotized the position is these days.

I really believe the Jacobs deal (and all the other signings for that matter including the pursuit of Manning) is a sign that we're in "win-right-now" mode and we'll use the draft to plug in whatever holes we can for depth where depth is needed. Right now, depth isn't needed at RB (at least not a long-term solution) and they'll deal with that next year...again, just my opinion.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 28, 2012 at 11:25 AM ]
Originally posted by valrod33:
Eric Branch Also In Football
Per Pro Football Focus, Brandon Jacobs converted 5 of 7 third-and-short situations in 2011 (2 yards or less).
Eric Branch ‏ @Eric_Branch
The #49ers were 17 of 35 on third-and-short (2 yards or less) in 2011.

Interesting stats,I see where you're goin.
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on Mar 28, 2012 at 11:21 AM ]
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Eric Branch Also In Football
Per Pro Football Focus, Brandon Jacobs converted 5 of 7 third-and-short situations in 2011 (2 yards or less).
Eric Branch ‏ @Eric_Branch
The #49ers were 17 of 35 on third-and-short (2 yards or less) in 2011.

Interesting stats,I see where you're goin.
That is interesting
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Wow, my most hated player in the league goes to SF.

Worst signing since Lawrence Phillips.

A no-talent, washed up bum that runs his mouth every chance he gets, putting added/undue pressure on his team.

HATE HATE HATE THIS MOVE. I watch the Giants constantly and this guy is a hack.

This plus 1

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Why do people freak out when it's not a long term contract? Who gives a crap?
makes no sense to give he and moss a long term deal. You hope they come through but they are not willing to walk the plank and put the future of our financial house in jepordy. you get guys like this on a one year deal and then you hope next year some younger guys in the wide outs(mcnutt ) are ready and you get your gore replacement in next years draft

agreed!
i can see it now, 3rd and short the defense stacking everyone in the box thinking the ball is going to jacobs only for alex to play action fake it to jacobs and hits a wide open vd or fleener
Deion Sanders called him the tip-toe burglar. Maybe Rathman can exorcise the pansy dancing b***h out of him and return him to a good downhill runner.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
i can see it now, 3rd and short the defense stacking everyone in the box thinking the ball is going to jacobs only for alex to play action fake it to jacobs and hits a wide open Manningham who laterals it to Crabtree for the TD

fixed
Originally posted by cciowa:
i know you are a good poster and know your football but you know I think you will admit we have a pretty good history of turning other peoples rejects into good solid players esp since its just a one year deal, we are not out anything. good debate VD

Some newcomers were good (C.Rodgers,some ex-bengals we've signed)ill admit.
Share 49ersWebzone