There are 218 users in the forums

Brandon Jacobs a 49er

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Not a big fan of Jacobs; negative locker room guy and not too bright. Not a big fan of Dixon either, but he contributes on special teams and seems to be liked by his teammates. Would rather have drafted a big back to compete for the third string spot.

Totally agree. We are bringing in some very volatile players who can run their mouth when things aren't working well.

Yeah I agree. It seemed that players loved playing for Harbaugh though with his enthusiasm and intensity and he got the best out of our guys last year so I trust he knows what he's doing. Wih that said, I just don't understand this signing. I would have rathered drafted a young guy to start grooming NOW where he could pick up some experience, a year of coaching under one of the best coaching staffs in the NFL, and not pick up that many miles on his legs in the process. All of this as opposed to waiting for next year when that running back will be casted into the fire much more quickly. Jacobs used to be a great inbetween the tackles runner then he lost his mind and believed he was Fred Astaire.

There's nothing to say they won't draft a RB this year. This just removes the need to draft one at a particular spot.We've created competition for that short yardage back position, and can therefor continue to look at the draft for BPA.

Personally, I'd almost rather take a RB next season. We'd still have Gore to show them how it's done, and good RBs tend to produce early. Really good crop of runners coming out next year.

Lattimore SC, Dyer AUB, Davis ARK, Ball WISC
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I hate it. Going on record saying I do not like the move

I kinda feel the same way.

I wanted us to draft a RB.
thats next yr when we can choose from lattimore, ball or dwyer. we can milk gore for 1 more yr as the starting back

not only this, but we'll still draft a RB if there is one worth drafting. A 30 year old Jacobs on a 1 year deal doesn't stop us from doing anything.
Doesnt he have a bad mouth? Hope he isnt cancer.
Originally posted by JoeisGod:
I like this signing (not that any give a crap about what I think). I mean 6'4" 265 and runs a 4.5. C'mon man! The potential is there.

approaching 30 im sure theres no way jacobs runs a 4.5, this move is strictly for short yardage and goaline. if we had jacobs im sure we wouldve picked up that 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 we went for in the nfcc game that dixon failed to get
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
funny how everyone in this thread is b*tching, but all our players on our team are saying what a great pick up... but hey us fans know more than our 53 man roster. lmao

Unnacountable fans always know better...as a fan, you should know this!

foreal they are all talking about there "bad" mouths.. lol Go play O-Line or D-Line or be a QB/TE and u will hear trash talking all game in football.. WR's CB's do it 24/7.. Finnegan/Andre Johnson fight?? Cromartier/Randy Moss? Just a few
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Why do people freak out when it's not a long term contract? Who gives a crap?
makes no sense to give he and moss a long term deal. You hope they come through but they are not willing to walk the plank and put the future of our financial house in jepordy. you get guys like this on a one year deal and then you hope next year some younger guys in the wide outs(mcnutt ) are ready and you get your gore replacement in next years draft
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
whoever said we should give him or moss long term deals is out dey fkn mind. Why would you do that?? Would you sign a 5 year lease on a 2000 Ford F150?
I totally agree, it is all about camp competition. One year deals rock outside of core players because they can be cut at the whim of Baalke without a lot of dead money consequences.

The Niners needed first downs and the ability to get into the end zone.

Randy Moss added
Brandon Jacobs added.

Actions speak that the coaches want less of Akers and more TD's.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
You can save the research. I will still call the move dumb until it produces big results during the season. If he proves to be a good signing, not a big crap talker who runs soft, then I will say it was a good signing. Until then, not a fan of the move.

This!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:
not only this, but we'll still draft a RB if there is one worth drafting. A 30 year old Jacobs on a 1 year deal doesn't stop us from doing anything.

Yes but it could delay it for a year when some better running backs in the gore mold will be in the draft as compared to this year? since gore is not broken we can put a band aid on it and as many have said, the coaches are not big fans of dixon and here in the second off season is when you see the trash from the previous regime that was tolerated last year taken to the redemption center... spencer,. norris, chilo, dixon

Great article on the short yardage issues the Giants "as a team" faced last year:

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/09/giants_are_having_trouble_in_s.html

Money quote for those who simply want to criticize Jacobs for his "bad 2011" in short-yardage:

Gilbride pointed to the final play of the Saints-Packers game last Thursday, when the Saints had an untimely play from the 1-yard line while trailing by eight points. They handed the ball off to Mark Ingram, who barreled toward the line and leapt in the air — only to have his path blocked by a wall of linemen awaiting the play.

"How did that work out?" Gilbride asked this week.

It was a way of explaining how there's no single answer to the question of how to tally 1 yard. And the responsibility is not entirely on the running back to gain the yard or the offensive coordinator to call the play or the linemen to block. Players throughout the offense all said short-yardage plays needs to be a collective effort, because the space is so confined that one mistake changes the result.

"It's on everyone," Gilbride said. "There's no question the back has to do a good job. But in this particular case, there was no place to get started, to get a surge."

Gilbride's explanation is validated by Jacobs' physics lesson. When the defensive linemen approach at a different angle as the offensive linemen, they clog holes that a running back needs. If the space isn't there, the back has nowhere to go — no matter how big or shifty he might be, and how small a yard might seem.

"I think," Jacobs said, "it's always more complicated than what the fans and everyone else knows."

Originally posted by ChazBoner:
whoever said we should give him or moss long term deals is out dey fkn mind. Why would you do that?? Would you sign a 5 year lease on a 2000 Ford F150?

2000 F150 with transmission problem
Garbage....but it just means we're waiting until next year to draft our RB of the future.....I can dig it.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I hate it. Going on record saying I do not like the move

I kinda feel the same way.

I wanted us to draft a RB.

In absolutely no way does signing a 29 year old running back to a 1 year deal stop us from drafting a RB. First round or otherwise.

Jacobs, like Moss, is not a lock to even make this team.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by HessianDud:

Yes but it could delay it for a year when some better running backs in the gore mold will be in the draft as compared to this year? since gore is not broken we can put a band aid on it and as many have said, the coaches are not big fans of dixon and here in the second off season is when you see the trash from the previous regime that was tolerated last year taken to the redemption center... spencer,. norris, chilo, dixon

This
Share 49ersWebzone