LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

QB Josh Johnson

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by abowers1984:
Johnson Highlights

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81323973/WK-4-Josh-Johnson-highlights
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8135237f/WK-5-Josh-Johnson-highlights
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d813adb92/WK-7-Josh-Johnson-highlights
http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/nfl-draft/NFL-Draft-Josh-Johnson-Highlights-472

The kid obviously has some IMMENSE physical tools - superior athlete, above average arm strength, and very accurate both from the pocket and on the run. In each of these departments, he's better than Alex - hands down. However, he does make some poor decisions with the football. For this reason, Alex holds onto the starting spot in the short term - but you cant keep talent like this down for long. I personally see him beating out Kaepernick for the backup role this coming year and quickly positioning himself as a potential long term solution for us at the QB position - assuming he's able to fully absorb the play book (shouldn't be a problem given prior experience w/ Harbaugh) and improve his decision making.

Obviously quite an assertion to make based on a few highlight reels, but screw it - why not

WOW.....thanks for posting!

Dude can ball. If he can learn to make better decision and not feel he has to gun it all the time, he has a ton of promise. Thinking about him paired with Harbaugh makes me giddy. I dont think he would be ready to start this year, but next.....

He sure looked like he had impressive potential in the clips I watched. His INTs against PHI were all bad decisions against the blitz, which seems to be a young guy taking his lumps, figuring out how many college tricks he can't get away with anymore. The INT against CAR was similar, as Thomas Davis climbed the ladder to get that ball in a way that most college LBs would not be capable of. He had some other bad decisions, but it looked like he was running for his life back there (like Alex in 2005), and there is no way to overemphasize how much bettr a QB can be w/time.

I don't know if he WILL be good, but he certainly has all of the tools (except height )
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
He sure looked like he had impressive potential in the clips I watched. His INTs against PHI were all bad decisions against the blitz, which seems to be a young guy taking his lumps, figuring out how many college tricks he can't get away with anymore. The INT against CAR was similar, as Thomas Davis climbed the ladder to get that ball in a way that most college LBs would not be capable of. He had some other bad decisions, but it looked like he was running for his life back there (like Alex in 2005), and there is no way to overemphasize how much bettr a QB can be w/time.

I don't know if he WILL be good, but he certainly has all of the tools (except height )

he's 6-3. when that become too short to play QB? Once you get above 6-2 you're more then tall enough to see effectively in the pocket.
My brother-in-law played against him in college. He told me about one play Johnson made against his team where the LB had Johnson's legs wrapped and he still threw a 60 yard deep ball. I'm doubting it was 60 yards, but his arm strenght and tight delivery are elite.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Mar 25, 2012 at 9:12 AM ]
My brother-in-law played against him in college. He told me about one play Johnson made against his team where the LB had Johnson's legs wrapped and he still threw a 60 yard deep ball. I'm doubting it was 60 yards, but his arm strenght and tight delivery are elite.

In one of the videos posted on this site Johnson threw a thirty yard bullet while falling backwards. Tells me his arm is strong enough. It is so amazing to have this much talent at the QB position but JH likes to create competition and these guys will be fun to watch! Wish we could see into the QB meetings where Cryst (and sometimes JH) hold daily quizzes to keep the QBs on their toes.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

In one of the videos posted on this site Johnson threw a thirty yard bullet while falling backwards. Tells me his arm is strong enough. It is so amazing to have this much talent at the QB position but JH likes to create competition and these guys will be fun to watch! Wish we could see into the QB meetings where Cryst (and sometimes JH) hold daily quizzes to keep the QBs on their toes.

Agreed. This is nothing but good news for the team. Smith at the very least is a very solid starter and CK and JJ are very talented prospects.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Agreed. This is nothing but good news for the team. Smith at the very least is a very solid starter and CK and JJ are very talented prospects.

this sums up the whole thing very very well, if everyone thought like this we would not have almost 40 pages .i know some are being hysterical(which is wrote the book on) about the prospect of losing scott t but if we do I really think we are going to survive, to the best of my knowledge, cody picket, otis arney, korey sheets, jason hill and nate davis, who were all flavors of the month, never were a difference maker after they left us
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

he's 6-3. when that become too short to play QB? Once you get above 6-2 you're more then tall enough to see effectively in the pocket.

. My bad. For some reason, I always think he is about six feet tall when I watch him. Yeah, 6-3 is fine. I'll handle my own punishment ... time to go sit on the waffle iron
Interesting quote from Roger Theder:

Which one, Johnson or Kaepernick, will win the battle to be the Niners' backup? Theder thinks both are capable of beating out Alex Smith for the starting job.

"I think both of them could, yes," Theder said. "I think they're both very talented - much more talented than Alex. I'm an Alex Smith fan. I just think Colin and Josh are both very, very talented kids."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/03/24/SP6M1NPSC6.DTL#ixzz1q9at52sK
[ Edited by abowers1984 on Mar 25, 2012 at 11:23 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Which one, Johnson or Kaepernick, will win the battle to be the Niners' backup? Theder thinks both are capable of beating out Alex Smith for the starting job.

"I think both of them could, yes," Theder said. "I think they're both very talented - much more talented than Alex. I'm an Alex Smith fan. I just think Colin and Josh are both very, very talented kids."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/03/24/SP6M1NPSC6.DTL#ixzz1q9at52sK

What does a tennis player know about football.
Originally posted by susweel:

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
You want me terminated ?
You want me terminated ?

Originally posted by Thorhawk:
You want me terminated ?

I wouldn't want to be caught in a drak ally way with that guy and those guns, lol.

Gotta say, sometimes it's hard to tell whether your tongue's in your cheek or in your nose.
[ Edited by 49erThrowback on Mar 25, 2012 at 2:19 PM ]

Share 49ersWebzone