LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

QB Josh Johnson

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by suso365:
I see this as competition for kaepernick. If anyone thinks Alex won't be the starter next year you'd be delusional. I've never been high on kaepernick. I just don't see it. This proves me right. I'm not saying this proves it too all, but to me it does.

how does this prove you right? no one knows if kaepernick will be good or bad, you cant judge him fom last preseason because im sure there has been good qbs now that had bad to questionable rookie preseasons. this signing is all about competition that harbaugh enjoys to see
Originally posted by 5280High:
I responded to Cohns article but its applicable here and im to lazy to type it again

Your take is pretty off-base. First he is at a minimum a quality camp arm and makes every rep that much better. Who was the additional Qb's of the past? A nobody from sacramento, a running QB from West virginia, and dyslexic Nate. In order for a team to build on its young foundation a coach has to ensure every rep counts… hard for receivers to work on their craft if they dont have talent throwing to them.

Second the most obvious point, competition. No its not that the niners arent satisfied with last years results… its that Alex is finally looked at as the guaranteed starter, so unlike in prior years he will not be playing much in preseason. That allows the staff to get a better look at their options behind Alex in game situations so why go into preseason with CK, Tolz, and random scrub. If you're gonna have 3 guys competing for 2 backup spots, why handicap it with a QB who's just a camp arm with no real shot at landing a spot.

cohn doesn't care to actually read anything that makes sense, he liks typing stuff to get people riled up. He's basically just a troll.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
What bad blood? Hearing that Harbaugh, Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick and newcomer Josh Johnson played racquetball together today.

https://twitter.com/#!/mattbarrows/status/183028322001887234

That's f**king awesome!

No Tolzien?
What bad blood? Hearing that Harbaugh, Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick and newcomer Josh Johnson played racquetball together today.

That's f**king awesome!

no tolzien? ouch
Originally posted by five1oh:
JJ is familiar with Harbaughs system, runs a 4.5 40, throws 42 TD and only 1 interception in a season in his senior year at SD. Doesn't hold a candle to the beacon of light that is the great Scott Tolzien!

Haha. Everyone has been so desperate for a qb that every 3rd string qb is the great hope.
I see it being Smith, Kap, JJ or maybe flip Kap and JJ

And yes I recognize the sarcasm. ;-)
[ Edited by Oregon49erfan on Mar 22, 2012 at 8:20 PM ]
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/03/inside-the-49ers/niners-sign-qb-josh-johnson-to-2-year-contract/

Apparently Alex better watch out

Meh Grant Cohn doesn't really know much, just spouts off all the time. Personally I don't see JJ challenging Alex for this year after they just guaranteed Alex 7.5 mill this year with another 1.5 in likely to be earned incentives. This is mainly to push Kaepernick I guess, which I'm not really sure I agree with. Either you're confident in Kaep to come in and be your #2 if Alex gets hurt and potentially your QB of the future, or you're not. If we are trying to develop Kaep and we bring in JJ to take snaps from him during practice, I don't really see how that helps him develop.

Reminds me a lot of what Holmgren had going in Green Bay in the late 90s with Favre; Pederson, and Hasselbeck at QB depth; gotta have a nice & talented stable of QBs competing encase 'anything' happens.
Kaeps future primary backup.
Originally posted by Wodwo:

That's f**king awesome!

No Tolzien?

https://twitter.com/#!/bmiller_49/status/183016350581669889 bruce miller was playing raquetball today
Obligatory: "CHAMPIONSHIP"
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
Kaeps future primary backup.

exactly

I love Harbaugh, he has everybody compete to be their best at every position (and puts his hands-on feel to almost every position in camp).
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by 5280High:
I responded to Cohn's article but its applicable here and I'm to lazy to type it again

Your take is pretty off-base. First he is at a minimum a quality camp arm and makes every rep that much better. Who was the additional QB's of the past? A nobody from Sacramento, a running QB from West Virginia, and dyslexic Nate. In order for a team to build on its young foundation a coach has to ensure every rep counts… hard for receivers to work on their craft if they don't have talent throwing to them.

Second the most obvious point, competition. No its not that the Niners aren't satisfied with last years results… its that Alex is finally looked at as the guaranteed starter, so unlike in prior years he will not be playing much in preseason. That allows the staff to get a better look at their options behind Alex in game situations so why go into preseason with CK, Tolz, and random scrub. If you're gonna have 3 guys competing for 2 backup spots, why handicap it with a QB who's just a camp arm with no real shot at landing a spot.

Cohn doesn't care to actually read anything that makes sense, he likes typing stuff to get people riled up. He's basically just a troll.
Grant Cohn is a troll, for sure. He is a yellow journalist, more suited to the National Enquirer than the PD. His only interest is to offend and insult his readers.
[ Edited by longtime49erfan on Mar 22, 2012 at 8:24 PM ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by schmons:
Originally posted by Wodwo:

That's f**king awesome!

No Tolzien?

https://twitter.com/#!/bmiller_49/status/183016350581669889 bruce miller was playing raquetball today

DE/OLB/FB/QB?
I was expecting a FA QB this off season, to bad it wasn't a player who shall never be mentioned again. Competition is good, open competition for the starting job is better. I hope Johnson is hungry.
Originally posted by RDB4216:
All of that is more than Kaep or Tolzien has done.

also look where he played. the bucs had no oline, coaching, or offensive weapons. here he will have all of those things. the sample size you chose is very small. I am not saying he will be a starter here but he is nothing like tebow he can throw the ball. harbaugh and baalke seem to know their stuff I think people need to get off tolziens nuts as he has done nothing to warrant all this praise he gets. I take Josh Johnson over Tolzien in a heartbeat. much more upside with a coach who knows him well.
Share 49ersWebzone