LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 312 users in the forums

Poll: Peyton or Alex?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Poll: Peyton or Alex?

Monday they will release a statement saying Alex is under contract, this is just a way to put pressure on Alex to sign for cheaper.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by 49erJim:
You put Alex Smith on another team that has a bad defense or a so so defense, and that team will not win 8 games.....

Exactly and put a Brees/Manning type with our D and Fuggedaboudit

You guys are really onto something... Just sign ALL of the best players at each position! At next year's Pro Bowl Baalke should just offer every guy the maximum amount possible, plus 10%. Our team will be like ALL MADDEN in the video game! Yeah!!!

That has nothing to do with his post.

Yes it does. It's the same silly nonsense over and over. The ONLY reason we've been able to build the defense that we have is because we DON'T have a QB who cost us 25% of our salary cap!

We have a balanced team and THAT is our strength and formula. You can't just add a player with a huge salary and think that there won't be a drop off somewhere else.
You guys are really onto something... Just sign ALL of the best players at each position! At next year's Pro Bowl Baalke should just offer every guy the maximum amount possible, plus 10%. Our team will be like ALL MADDEN in the video game! Yeah!!!

Maybe he'll be able to get Montana and Rice out of retirement also.
Originally posted by BOI49er:
To me, this isn't about Alex vs. Peyton, it's about Peyton vs. "our guy." I just can't shake the thought that signing Peyton is selling out, and I thought we were building something different than that. If the FO doesn't want to go with Smith, fine. Then let's roll with Kaepernick. It's one thing to sign free agents here and there who come with sensible contracts. But throwing mega millions at one player (who happens to be old and injured) is just risky, irresponsible, and completely opposite of everything the players have been sold as a team (and us as a fan base).

Very good. And while we're rolling with Kaepernick, we can get Josh Johnson to compete, and still have plenty of cap for wr MW from Pitt with a front loaded contract that wouldn't be matched. The biggest thing is with Manning's 90M, we'll look like Indy does now in 5 years, and facing another long rebuilding period. Yuck. You can't win without a strong roster, and overpaying for one position prevents that. Eddie didn't bring in many old guys and pay them a ton. He cut them. That's why this seems so out of character for our GM and current management.
Well according to 49erJim, the salary cap will soon be $200 million, so it's not really a "true" salary cap anymore. "Everyone knows this" he said. Lol where is that guy anyway? I need to see some laughing smiley faces.

To me, this isn't about Alex vs. Peyton, it's about Peyton vs. "our guy." I just can't shake the thought that signing Peyton is selling out, and I thought we were building something different than that. If the FO doesn't want to go with Smith, fine. Then let's roll with Kaepernick. It's one thing to sign free agents here and there who come with sensible contracts. But throwing mega millions at one player (who happens to be old and injured) is just risky, irresponsible, and completely opposite of everything the players have been sold as a team (and us as a fan base).

Very good. And while we're rolling with Kaepernick, we can get Josh Johnson to compete, and still have plenty of cap for wr MW from Pitt with a front loaded contract that wouldn't be matched. The biggest thing is with Manning's 90M, we'll look like Indy does now in 5 years, and facing another long rebuilding period. Yuck. You can't win without a strong roster, and overpaying for one position prevents that. Eddie didn't bring in many old guys and pay them a ton. He cut them. That's why this seems so out of character for our GM and current management.
Well according to 49erJim, the salary cap will soon be $200 million, so it's not really a "true" salary cap anymore. "Everyone knows this" he said. Lol where is that guy anyway? I need to see some laughing smiley faces.

Oh.
No man, you are RIGHT. I was taking a jab at 49erJim, he's a comedian around here. I'm 100% convinced that he's laughing while writing every one of his posts.

Go ahead and jab away. The 49ers can afford to sign Manning and still sign all the great rookies we will draft, and still get another good WR and a G. And will not break the bank. A qb like Manning only comes around once in a lifetime with a intack Defense like the 49ers have, No Balls No Blue Chips! If you want to put your money with Alex Smith so be it, for me I would try and get Manning. The 49ers have the $$$ and the people to make the $$$ work thats why they pay them the money. Its just a matter of it Manning wants to play for the 49ers thats it. I LOL at reading all of your posts not writing them LOL
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by NinerJedi:

Totally agree. This is exactly what I'm thinking and feeling. Hopefully, the 49ers and Alex Smith work this out. Alex is the present and future. The NFC Divisional game vs the Saints prove that Smith is superstar quality who could realistically surpass Peyton's past success.

Depending on PM's health I agree. Mainly that I want Alex to work out because I want to see how good he can get with the new weapons we have and a second season in Harbaugh offense. I want Alex as the QB regardless though, he is our guy. We watched him do terrible, then put up with injuries and poor coaching, then get better, then finally get good and get to the playoffs and have an amazing game there, come within 2 fumbles from the superbowl, and now it ends? That f**kin sucks man

Hey fly, how many posts did you make during the season again?
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:
You put Alex Smith on another team that has a bad defense or a so so defense, and that team will not win 8 games.....

Exactly and put a Brees/Manning type with our D and Fuggedaboudit

WHY DON'T WE JUST GIVE AWAY ALL THE MONIES WHILE WE R AT IT?!?!? AMIRITE GUIZE?
this discussion is getting odd
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Go ahead and jab away. The 49ers can afford to sign Manning and still sign all the great rookies we will draft, and still get another good WR and a G. And will not break the bank. A qb like Manning only comes around once in a lifetime with a intack Defense like the 49ers have, No Balls No Blue Chips! If you want to put your money with Alex Smith so be it, for me I would try and get Manning. The 49ers have the $$$ and the people to make the $$$ work thats why they pay them the money. Its just a matter of it Manning wants to play for the 49ers thats it. I LOL at reading all of your posts not writing them LOL

Well since we have that "intack defense," no matter who our QB is we will win the Super Bowl!

And I agree man, money doesn't matter at all. I don't know why there's all this talk about contracts, guaranteed money, salary cap, etc. None of it matters, LET'S SIGN EVERYBODY!!!

Well since we have that "intack defense," no matter who our QB is we will win the Super Bowl!

And I agree man, money doesn't matter at all. I don't know why there's all this talk about contracts, guaranteed money, salary cap, etc. None of it matters, LET'S SIGN EVERYBODY!!!

WE will never win a Superbowl with Alex Smith. With any Defense. Thats why after Alex did not sign the 3 year $24 mil dollar deal Jimmy Har got on the plane and told Alex that hes dead to me. If you think Alex Smith is going to take the 49ers or ANY team to the Superbowl, you are one crazy person.

• Furlow
  • Veteran

WE will never win a Superbowl with Alex Smith. With any Defense. Thats why after Alex did not sign the 3 year $24 mil dollar deal Jimmy Har got on the plane and told Alex that hes dead to me. If you think Alex Smith is going to take the 49ers or ANY team to the Superbowl, you are one crazy person.
Then there are A LOT of crazy people. Alex DID take us to the Super Bowl. Kyle "Long Knee" Williams just f**ked it up for us.

After we sign Peyton, what do say we go get Adrian Peterson also? Calvin Johnson just signed a contract, I'm sure the Lions will trade him to us. I'm with you brother!

Is this still being debated hahaha. If Mannining wants to be a 49er than Harbaugh is no dummy. He will get a deal done. I can't fathom for the life of me that 32% of the zoners would rather have this team held at anchor by Smith's limitations instead of signing a 10 time pro bowler. Go Niners!!

He was 2 fumbles away from doing that, genius.

Is this still being debated hahaha. If Mannining wants to be a 49er than Harbaugh is no dummy. He will get a deal done. I can't fathom for the life of me that 32% of the zoners would rather have this team held at anchor by Smith's limitations instead of signing a 10 time pro bowler. Go Niners!!

BECAUSE they love Alex Smith the the 49ers have been bad to him. Give him another 10 years with this defense we have, and we might get there. I don't want to waste one more season of this defense on Alex Smith, I don't really think the 49ers do as well.

Because to some people the high risk in that 10 time pro bowler isn't worth a non-guaranteed reward.
If Manning is healthy is a BIG if. Even if he is, he's only going to last 2-3 more years. So let me ask you, would you rather have 1 or 2 great chances at a Super Bowl or 9-10 good chances at a Super Bowl?

I think we can agree that no matter what we do, we're only giving ourselves a CHANCE.

How much time do you think we have?

Vernon, Willis, Gore, Rogers, Justin, Soap, McDonald, Akers are going to decline in ability in a handful of years. And then we have to deal with signing Bowman, Aldon, Iupati, Anthony Davis in a couple years. Do you think this defense and special teams and skill players are going to be around for 9-10 years?

We only have a short window where we have the elite defense and special teams we currently have. We are LUCKY to have maintained our current defense. The next few years ahead are critical for us. To have an opportunity to sign a monster quarterback like Payton Manning to add to the equation in our SHORT 3-4 year window is an amazing thing to even think about.
Everybody who is not in the WZ knows that we would be a SCARY team with him, even if only for 3-4 years.
Share 49ersWebzone