LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

Is the front office playing mind games?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by sfout:
Actually the bulk of them are known, 8 to be precise.

in order they draft in.

1. Redskins(fact)
2. Vikings(guess)
3. Jaguars(guess)
4. Dolphins(fact)
5. Kansas(fact)
6. Seattle(fact)
7. Arizona(fact)
8. Jets(fact)
9. Chicago(guess)
10. Denver(fact)
11. Texans(fact)
12. Baltimore(guess)

Now shut up about going after Manning. Its a terrible idea, he is a terrible playoff QB, as I said in another thread if he hadn't won that SB he would be the NFL version of Utah Jazz PG John Stockton, the great point guard in nba history to not win a championship.

So again, stop thinking Manning will be wearing Red & Gold next season because it will never happen.

I don't think it's gonna happen, either, but give me a break. Peyton Manning NEVER had a defense (not even the year they won the Super Bowl - that year, the defense just finally helped out and did their jobs in the playoffs, and not even on the level of a GOOD defense) and had to do too much to keep them in the games against quality teams. Given a good defense (not even elite - as ours is - just good) he'd be able to play without thinking he needs to make everything happen. With a defense like ours, Manning probably has 5 rings by now.

I don't mind people arguing against Peyton coming here, but let's get real and open our eyes when giving reasons to go against it. The main issues are health and money. That's it.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Mar 10, 2012 at 1:26 AM ]
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Considering that he's already swung by Miami and is in Denver now, what makes you think he's going to be around come Monday? LOL

If you're interested in him you don't really have any time to play around with. Right now he's comparing rings with John Elway.

Really? As I recall last year, the hottest ticket at the time was the Raiders N.A., nobody and mean nobody saw the eagles coming in at the last minute and swooping in and signing him. This is a big deal and PM is not going to just sign on a whim, he will weigh things first. With that said, I think it will be the Dolphins as he is familiar with the AFC, and they have a decent team, with bush and marshall and possibly wayne joining them, they could draft say Fleener if fleener nails at his pro day.

The niners have a formula, if Alex doesn't budge, let me go, he isn't worth the money yet. One season doesn't make an elite make. If other teams want to overpay their QBs and screw up their formula let them. He wants the niners to commit to him, I understand that, as a GM though, you need to show me you can
a) improve on what you did last year
b) show that it wasn't a fluke

He will be making a big mistake. Cause if he sits out, even if the niners take a step back, he will be giving Kaep and Tolz valuable playing time. If Kaep or Tolz shows promise its all that will be said. Remember Rodgers didn't shine his first year either. I would like the youngsters to sit a year more, but if JH is fine with it, then so be it. Too many times the inmates rule the coop. Besides, everybody knows that if Alex goes elsewhere he will flop because he needs to be comfortable and he won't have a JH to have his back, he may end up with someone like Nolan. He won't have a D like ours backing him up and giving him short fields. The moment he fails people are going to start questioning it. Don't overpay give him 3 years 8 mill with incentives, then if proves it wasn't a fluke and he is truly elite you extend the contract then. Don't get trapped!
Originally posted by WildBill:
Remember Rodgers didn't shine his first year either.

I was with you until this. Rodgers had over 4,000 yards passing and 28 TDs his first year starting. So, yes, he did shine his first year.
Originally posted by 1swift:
What value is that to Alex? He's not stupid. He want's more money over the longer period. Everyone knows NFL contracts are easily cut short but whats always at stack is guarenteed money and that guarenteed money is spread out amongst the years.

No, Alex is not really in it for the money, his agent yes, but what he wants is commitment, by commiting many years and large number they will have to think twice about cutting him loose, if he is surpassed or the niners find someone who can surpass him, it is more about security.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
I was with you until this. Rodgers had over 4,000 yards passing and 28 TDs his first year starting. So, yes, he did shine his first year.
This is where stats are misleading if you don't delve deeper. Tell me, how many games did they win on a veteran team? When you consider how many attempts he passed 536 times to get 4000 yards and 28 touchdowns and the fact that much of that passing came trying to come from behind. He did good, but he did not shine to me. Yes the defense was not good, but it wasn't like they had the lead and they blew it in most of their loses, they were playing catch up many times.
Originally posted by WildBill:
No, Alex is not really in it for the money, his agent yes, but what he wants is commitment, by commiting many years and large number they will have to think twice about cutting him loose, if he is surpassed or the niners find someone who can surpass him, it is more about security.

If that were the case then they could easily take 5 years and give same exact dollar amount as the tabled 3 year deal. But Alex would never sign that either. You cant have more years without having more money. He doesn't want it to be an easy decision to cut him in say 3 years because of a tiny cap figure
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
All the media speculation hyping up Manning make it seems like he's a hot commodity. He's not. In reality there's only 2 maybe 3 teams who are desperate/serious enough about Manning to go after him. The rest of the other teams who already have some semblance of competent qb play, their GM don't want the headache of paying millions for Manning with unresolved injury and throwing or playing ability.

Some guys can dream their little dream of Manning. He's not going to be here with the Niners.

I agree with you 100%, every offseason people want to dump Alex, this year, it makes a lot less sense than usual.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Ton Condon likes to play powerball. He would have his clients hold out for a bigger deal. Dashon Goldson didnot get it and now Alex with the same agent will try to get more money.
EVEN IF we get Manning, he salary would kill this Franchise. Are we trying to sell out and possibly win one Super Bowl just to go back to a decade of losing? By signing Manning even to a three year deal, we will not be able to extend the contracts of players like NaVorro Bowman, Andy Lee, Justin Smith, etc. Not to mention if by year three some of our rookies we had last season want resigned, we can't let them go.

One player is not worth losing what we've built so far.

I, for one, want to stick with Alex Smith and continue the "anemic" offense approach and resign our players we currently have on this young roster. Another year in the same offense and the whole offense should get better with the addition of some good free agents.

No to Manning.
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
EVEN IF we get Manning, he salary would kill this Franchise. Are we trying to sell out and possibly win one Super Bowl just to go back to a decade of losing? By signing Manning even to a three year deal, we will not be able to extend the contracts of players like NaVorro Bowman, Andy Lee, Justin Smith, etc. Not to mention if by year three some of our rookies we had last season want resigned, we can't let them go.

I, for one, want to stick with Alex Smith and continue the "anemic" offense approach and resign our players we currently have on this young roster. Another year in the same offense and the whole offense should get better with the addition of some good free agents.

No to Manning.
This

Its called business.
Hey look! ANOTHER Peyton Manning thread!! I mean, obviously you couldn't post in any of the other dozen already out there...
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by ElDannMann:

No to Manning.
This

Except, Frank is getting older and slowing down. As Frank slows or God forbid goes down, our offense is going to slow. If we can't run the ball teams will blitz all day and we've seen how Alex handles that. I don't want Peyton, I just want Harbaugh to tell Alex to grow a pair and let it rip! Play to win, not to "not lose". Go for TD's and not settle for FG's.

Oh and to the OP. Try the search button before making new threads.
[ Edited by ninerfan97 on Mar 10, 2012 at 9:11 AM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GORO:
Ton Condon likes to play powerball. He would have his clients hold out for a bigger deal. Dashon Goldson didnot get it and now Alex with the same agent will try to get more money.

you're getting Condon mixed up with Rosenhaus. Rosenhaus told Dashon to hold out last season and it got him a 3 million 1 year deal instead of 5 years 25M so Dashon fired Rosenhaus 3 weeks ago and hired Condon because he wants a deal.....
  • Adman
  • Veteran
I'm bringing this thread back from the depths...Where are the haters now?
Share 49ersWebzone