LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

ILB Larry Grant (RFA) to be tendered

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Draft Mychal Kendricks!

This might have been done because of locker room financial issues. It's just weird to have Grant making 2 million when Bowman is making 500k I guess.
[ Edited by dhp318 on Mar 9, 2012 at 10:17 AM ]
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by NinerG94:
He's going right back to St. Louis.

Dunno...Gregg Williams
At least ha can make extra money playing for him
Dallas wants our ILB , they are going to go after him and give up only a 7th , we could have tenderd 2nd make it hard for everyone !
These guys let Takeo Spikes go last year, because they thought Bowman was ready, and it turns out they were right. They didn't spend big money on any DB's last year and they waited and got Carlos Rogers for a fair price. That being said, as a fan it drives you crazy because they are so patient and you don't know what they know. I want to say just sign Carlos Rogers. But, they seem to be making really smart moves and I think they are building their team for long term success.
damn i just found out hes a hometown guy, went to foothill. gonna suck to see him go now!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oregonniner:
These guys let Takeo Spikes go last year, because they thought Bowman was ready, and it turns out they were right. They didn't spend big money on any DB's last year and they waited and got Carlos Rogers for a fair price. That being said, as a fan it drives you crazy because they are so patient and you don't know what they know. I want to say just sign Carlos Rogers. But, they seem to be making really smart moves and I think they are building their team for long term success.
good post, i think with what the front office did with the spikes thing last year, which prompted many to slash thier wrists, has shown fans they know what they are doing. i am like you as i reallllly want them to sign rogers but if not, i know they have thier reasons and they have a plan and after i saw how they built a team and had success with no off season, I will gladly drink the kool aid
WTF. All they had to do is pay 700,000K and basically buy a second rounder....especially in this draft. It doesn't make any sense.
Originally posted by domesik:
WTF. All they had to do is pay 700,000K and basically buy a second rounder....especially in this draft. It doesn't make any sense.

Nobody was going to sign him if they needed to give up a 2nd. Teams are struggling to justify giving up a 1st for Wallace by comparison.
Originally posted by guillotine31:

Nobody was going to sign him if they needed to give up a 2nd. Teams are struggling to justify giving up a 1st for Wallace by comparison.

Yea but we could justify paying 700k to keep him and have a quality backup, to me it doesn't hurt to place a 2nd round tender when we are essentially talking about pennies in cap space.
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
Originally posted by guillotine31:

Yea but we could justify paying 700k to keep him and have a quality backup, to me it doesn't hurt to place a 2nd round tender when we are essentially talking about pennies in cap space.

how do you think it would make bowman feel when his back up is making $1.9mil and he is making less than $500k after an all-pro year?

Ok with the recent transactions, we should be $19.234M under with a $120.375M cao, $22.234M with a $123M cap or $24.234M with a $125M cap. I don't know if Tukuafu got any bonus money, but he has base salaries of $465K(2012) and $555K(2013)
does it cost the team more to tender players for higher picks? im pretty sure grant will get snatched up pretty soon. a 7th is nothing for a guy who stood in for an all pro and didnt miss a beat
Why would any team give up a 2nd round draft pick for Larry Grant. Don't get me wrong, I think he filled in very well for Patrick Willis when he went down, but to think that another team would just give up a 2nd round draft pick for him is just not realistic.

Also, why would you pay the 2nd round tender to a backup. It makes no sense on any level unless you really believed a team would pick up the tender and give up a 2nd round pick, which I think in this case would be hoping for something that just was not going to happen.

If they get a 7th round pick...that's good. If no one picks up the tender and they keep Grant, he's a good backup and I'll be happy as well. Good move by the FO IMO.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
does it cost the team more to tender players for higher picks? im pretty sure grant will get snatched up pretty soon. a 7th is nothing for a guy who stood in for an all pro and didnt miss a beat

Yes, would cost I think 1.9 compared to 1.2 something...

To be fair yes we drafted Grant in the 7th round but we cut him, St Louis picked him up and we re-sign him again. We are getting a 7th round pick for a free agent we picked up before the season. Nothing wrong with that... at worst you can think of it as we get back our pick we spent on him. Also, doesn't mean he will leave though... we can still match any offer given although if someone wants him to start they will probably pay more than we will since he will be a backup for us. I know some are mad/surprised but did anyone think of it as the 49ers saying hey you played well when you had your chance... we won't stop you from getting a nice contract and a chance to start somewhere else? We can't offer that to you here.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 9, 2012 at 12:02 PM ]
well if a team were gonna give up the 2nd they would obviously be thinking of him as a starter
Share 49ersWebzone