LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 327 users in the forums

What are the chances Michael Crabtree has a breakout 2012 season, like VD in 2009?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What are the chances Michael Crabtree has a breakout 2012 season, like VD in 2009?

Idk but it'd be pretty f**king dope
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I'm not impressed at all. After 3 seasons and thats the best we can expect from our supposed #1 who won't, but the way, buy in to the team with an attitude to boot? I'm sorry but that's piss-poor.

I like Crabtree alot .. he hasnt lit it up but he isnt playing in that style of offense to go out and put up huge #s .. takes receivers awhile to reach their peak and he's had injuries to boot .. i think he will surpass 1,000 yards next season if healthy all season ... just look at players like Wes Welker who had less than 700 yards his first 2 seasons and then blew up .. you gotta give these young kids adequate time and put them in positions that suit their talents ... I have no doubt in my mind that Crabtree would have #1 type numbers in a more open offense .. I still think he can get there right here in SF ... but we do need other weapons at receiver to help ..
I would say the odds are better that Crabtree has a breakout of VD, before he has a breakout season. Anyone have the over/under on that?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Crabtree's performance needs to be taken tongue-in-cheek. He's had the 3 headed monster of Alex Smith, Shaun Hill, and Troy Smith throwing to him and the same "excuse" of multiple OCs, and systems as well. For him to generate 750+ yards 2 seasons in a row and improve every season while never participating in a full off season and nursing a nagging injury shows a lot of promise.

Now if he would only work on his craft the way Jerry says he needs to, spending extra time in the weight room, really gaining control of his body, working extra on his routes he will be a top WR in no time. If he doesn't excel this coming season I will start to say we should trade him but until this coming season is over I'm withholding judgment on him.
depends on play calling and QB play.. and most importantly himself.
i think he'll be better this year with another year in the offense and a legit threat playing on the other side of our offense. hes been doing it alone pretty much with our lack of WRs to help take some pressure off of him.
70 Plus grabs
0ver 1,000 yards
6 Plus Tds
I think he'll do it. It'll be his first healthy offseason with the team, he's finally under a steady offensive minded HC with a good position coach and he's tasted some success after this year. I chose 80%. I think him and Alex will finally get some chemistry together too this offseason.
All one can do is hope
Originally posted by sfout:
Crabtree's performance needs to be taken tongue-in-cheek. He's had the 3 headed monster of Alex Smith, Shaun Hill, and Troy Smith throwing to him and the same "excuse" of multiple OCs, and systems as well. For him to generate 750+ yards 2 seasons in a row and improve every season while never participating in a full off season and nursing a nagging injury shows a lot of promise.

Now if he would only work on his craft the way Jerry says he needs to, spending extra time in the weight room, really gaining control of his body, working extra on his routes he will be a top WR in no time. If he doesn't excel this coming season I will start to say we should trade him but until this coming season is over I'm withholding judgment on him.
I agree with you but what is exceling... what numbers does he have to put up or what does he have to do??? All the other fans feel the same way..."Crabtree has to do alot better or we will cut him." Well what does that look like exactly? Nobody wants to put a number on it, because his numbers are already pretty close to being good. The problem is that unless Roman and the offense start being more aggressive and Alex starts pulling the trigger, Crabtree will come up with the same amount of numbers, probably a little better if he stays healthy. If Harbs plays it safe to win the turnover battle (which is a good strategy), Alex will throw for 3300-3500 yards. I think it is still good for Crabtree to produce those types of numbers but the rest of these vultures will still call for his head...

There are 2 receivers in the draft that the Niners should focus on; Chris Given of Wake Forest and Marvin McNutt of Iowa. These 2 guys are going to play for a long time in the league. Givens can fly and McNutt rarely drops anything. Michael Floyd and Steven Hill got all the ink, but I'd rather the Niners draft TE Coby Fleener in the 1st round and try to get one of these guys in the 2nd. Just look what New England did with 2 quality TE's. A Smith likes to throw shorter routes over the middle and Fleener would be the next Gronkowski. History shows that WR's taken in the 1st round fail to live up to the hype. I really like Givens and his teammate, OG Joe Looney. Looney would be a great addition at right guard if the Niners can snag him in the 3rd round.
breakout year? hahahha. dont you mean broken year
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
I agree with you but what is exceling... what numbers does he have to put up or what does he have to do??? All the other fans feel the same way..."Crabtree has to do alot better or we will cut him." Well what does that look like exactly? Nobody wants to put a number on it, because his numbers are already pretty close to being good. The problem is that unless Roman and the offense start being more aggressive and Alex starts pulling the trigger, Crabtree will come up with the same amount of numbers, probably a little better if he stays healthy. If Harbs plays it safe to win the turnover battle (which is a good strategy), Alex will throw for 3300-3500 yards. I think it is still good for Crabtree to produce those types of numbers but the rest of these vultures will still call for his head...

excelling to me means, cutting down on his drops, probably breaking 1,100 yards(his current learning curve has him on track to hit a near even 1,000 yards on 85 - 90 catches, so I'id like to think he could get one more reception a game for at least 5 yards which would put him at 1,080 yards on 100-105 receptions). IMHO I wouldn't want him to be such a possession receiver and would like to see an increase in his YPC and stick at reception per season of 90 or so but hey I'll take the improvement anyway I can get it.

Bottom line is in our offense once it gets going full steam, the #1 TE and #1 WR should put up 1,000 yards each, which they looked more then capable of doing once Crabtree came on full strength and VD got his grip on the playbook.

Like I said Crabtree has 1 more season to show he can be a legitimate #1 before people truly start calling for his head and he needs to take full advantage of this opportunity.
Contract year...so yeah, he ill be trying out for his beloved cowpokes
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by jacklegniner:

excelling to me means, cutting down on his drops, probably breaking 1,100 yards(his current learning curve has him on track to hit a near even 1,000 yards on 85 - 90 catches, so I'id like to think he could get one more reception a game for at least 5 yards which would put him at 1,080 yards on 100-105 receptions). IMHO I wouldn't want him to be such a possession receiver and would like to see an increase in his YPC and stick at reception per season of 90 or so but hey I'll take the improvement anyway I can get it.

Bottom line is in our offense once it gets going full steam, the #1 TE and #1 WR should put up 1,000 yards each, which they looked more then capable of doing once Crabtree came on full strength and VD got his grip on the playbook.

Like I said Crabtree has 1 more season to show he can be a legitimate #1 before people truly start calling for his head and he needs to take full advantage of this opportunity.
That's a good breakdown. Thanks, for actually answering the question! No one has ever answered it when I ask. That's some really good numbers and and think you are right about the Yards. He was already close to 1000 this year and missed some time on the field. If he is healthy, hopefully he is getting more yards after the catch. Obviously everyone is still not going to be satisfied even if he does put up numbers like that.
Share 49ersWebzone