LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

Deal Done for Ahmad Brooks (6yr @ $44.5 million)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Problem with Steelers is they are in deep cap hell. We aren't, we are set up nicely for future years. Bowman will get extended in 2013 before he is up after 2013. By 2013 most of Willis' bonus money is gone, his remaining signing bonus is in 2012.

Yes it is hard to keep the team intact, but I dont think it will be hard in 2013 and beyond, it's 2012, and trying to fit them under the cap. As of now we have around 88M committed for 2013, before Brooks and Spillman. It wont be as bad as 2012, we should have 40M+ to spend, less if we do keep our core together, and get a top notch WR.

I'm not concerned about future, it's just this year. So many FAs we need to retain, Brooks and Spillman are done, now it's Rogers and Goldson. Alex, Costanzo and Morgan will come. Imagine if Braylon hadn't busted and played great, we wouldn't be able to keep him.

Very true but do you think we can really keep all 4 lbs and Aldon plus keep players like gore rogers Goldson assuming we sign all to over 6 mil a year and gore is getting what about 7-8
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Draft well, draft replacements for guys BEFORE they hit free agency. I would still like the 49ers to add a 3-4 OLB as a potential future replacement for Brooks in a few years.

I hope so, I just love bowman but I guess a good ilb is easier to find than a good olb.

Bowman will get his deal too . Just imagine dude, 20 years from now we could all be looking back and saying this is one of the best linebacking groups ever, with a super bowl or even multiple super bowls.
What was Brooks' "character" issue that hurt his draft stock out of college? Sounds like we may have a couple of boozers for outside linebackers. Bet they get the really old single malt Scotch. I knew there was a reason Aldon Smith looked so natural weaving around on those looping stunts.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Bowman will get his deal too . Just imagine dude, 20 years from now we could all be looking back and saying this is one of the best linebacking groups ever, with a super bowl or even multiple super bowls.

Seriously this is like the dome patrol in the 80s like new Orleans sick sick sick

Seriously this is like the dome patrol in the 80s like new Orleans sick sick sick

Could end up being better dude.
Interview with him after signings

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Brooks-Re-Signs-with-49ers/5942ad86-216f-44dd-b4e0-8439777e1f62
Nice done.
Problem with Steelers is they are in deep cap hell. We aren't, we are set up nicely for future years. Bowman will get extended in 2013 before he is up after 2013. By 2013 most of Willis' bonus money is gone, his remaining signing bonus is in 2012.

Yes it is hard to keep the team intact, but I dont think it will be hard in 2013 and beyond, it's 2012, and trying to fit them under the cap. As of now we have around 88M committed for 2013, before Brooks and Spillman. It wont be as bad as 2012, we should have 40M+ to spend, less if we do keep our core together, and get a top notch WR.

I'm not concerned about future, it's just this year. So many FAs we need to retain, Brooks and Spillman are done, now it's Rogers and Goldson. Alex, Costanzo and Morgan will come. Imagine if Braylon hadn't busted and played great, we wouldn't be able to keep him.

Very true but do you think we can really keep all 4 lbs and Aldon plus keep players like gore rogers Goldson assuming we sign all to over 6 mil a year and gore is getting what about 7-8

I think so. Gore will be lowered down after 2014, his deal isnt really guaranteed, full of gameday roster bonuses.

Good thing is by 2014 the revenue kicks in, and higher cap limit each season.
I think so. Gore will be lowered down after 2014, his deal isnt really guaranteed, full of gameday roster bonuses.

Good thing is by 2014 the revenue kicks in, and higher cap limit each season.

I like the signing but it may be a little high. I wonder what his cap figures are going to look like?
Originally posted by andes14:
I've explained so many times. Here is why he is overpaid:

Brooks is the 6th-7th best player on our D at BEST. He is a good player, a solid player. He at this point is NOT a STAR (though clearly this contract indicates we anticipate him to be), and I personally believe that only established stars warrant north of $17M guaranteed, If you look around the league, there are tons of guys that have done more than Brooks that are making a lot less. Guys that have signed new contracts AFTER doing a lot more than Brooks (so I'm not even talking about guys underpaid on a rookie contract or something who are gonna get their money on a contract in the future).

1) Brooks being the "6th-7th best player on our D" says more about our defense than it does about his talent. You can't knock him for playing on a defensive unit that has several good players. From 1987-1992, Steve Young was the 2nd best QB on the team...does that have anything to do with his worth as a player?

2) I disagree that Brooks is being paid like a star player. If Mario Williams (a definite star player) signs a contract similar to Brooks, then you'll have a valid point. We'll see if Brooks' deal is anywhere near MW's contract. If not, then its safe to say that Ahmad was signed to a fair deal. I expect MW's deal to be significantly more than what Brooks got.

3) I disagree that there are "tons of guys" that have done more than Brooks. He isn't an elite player, but he is still better than many players at his position.

Originally posted by andes14:
An important point people are glossing over:

I hope people realize that on 1st and 2nd down, Brooks isn't even gonna be rushing the passer all that much. Aldon will be an every down player, and he will be doing most of the early down pass rushing, meaning Brooks will oftentimes be in coverage as Fangio rarely brings 5 or more rushers. If we did let Brooks walk, all we'd really need to go a long ways in replacing him would have been just a good coverage/set the edge LB, a la even our good friend Manny Lawson.

1) Brooks is great against the run, which is valuable on 1st and 2nd down.

2) Brooks is a good pass rusher, which adds unpredictability to our defense. Opposing offenses still have to account for Brooks coming off the edge, unlike Lawson.

3) Brooks is solid in coverage, which means he isn't a liability when dropping back.

If that's your minimum expectation for his role, then he's extremely valuable to our defense. Now add the fact that he's an every down player (and a good 3rd down pass rusher), a hard worker (at least in recent seasons), already knows the system, already developed chemistry with the front seven, is entering his prime (and still has room to get better), AND he wants to be here. Plus, he wasn't grossly overpaid and the team didn't break the bank to keep him. Its not worth letting him go just to save money since he does bring a lot to our team.

KamerIon Wimbley
5 year 48 mil 29 guarenteed
Chad Greenway
5 year 41 mil 21 guarenteed
Karlos Dansby (2010)
5 year 43 mil 22 guarenteed

Is Brooks better then these men?
Brooks is a very good olb but is not even close to solid in coverage. But glad we have him.
Originally posted by solidg2000:
KamerIon Wimbley
Chad Greenway
Karlos Dansby (2010)

i'd take him over those 3
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
KamerIon Wimbley
Chad Greenway
Karlos Dansby (2010)

Same, by quite a bit too.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
KamerIon Wimbley
Chad Greenway
Karlos Dansby (2010)

Same, by quite a bit too.

I agree too, I take Brooks over those three. Brooks may not be as quick off the edge as Wimbley, but hes much better in coverage than Wimbley and a better run stopper than all three.

....glad to have him back!!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone