There are 165 users in the forums

Deal Done for Ahmad Brooks (6yr @ $44.5 million)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
LOL at some of the overreaction to Brooks signing today. Was he a bit overpaid? Possibly. Maybe even probably. What is important is that he wasnt grossly overpaid and that the Niners will have their LB and front 7 totally intact next season.

I also like a feel good story and this is one. Brooks turned his life around, his attitude and commitment to football, and got his reward. Nice to see!
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
LOL at some of the overreaction to Brooks signing today. Was he a bit overpaid? Possibly. Maybe even probably. What is important is that he wasnt grossly overpaid and that the Niners will have their LB and front 7 totally intact next season.

I also like a feel good story and this is one. Brooks turned his life around, his attitude and commitment to football, and got his reward. Nice to see!

Originally posted by walker807:
LOL, the same people who think Brooks will actually see 44 million from that deal are probably the same people that thought Clements was going to get 80 million from the niners the day he was signed. Brooks may have been able to pull 10 million a year on the open market so this is a great deal. No he is not worth 10 million a year, BUT he is the second best OLB in FA after Williams. He could have chosen from a dozen teams that would have loved to have his production from last season.

Exactly. Nate's deal was 8yr/$80M, but really was 45M for 5yrs.

The Max value is at 44.5M, likely a lot of tied to incentives based on pro-bowl, sacks, all-pro, etc..
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Exactly. Nate's deal was 8yr/$80M, but really was 45M for 5yrs.

The Max value is at 44.5M, likely a lot of tied to incentives based on pro-bowl, sacks, all-pro, etc..

thats what i was thinkng. plus I dont think we'll keep him for the full 6 years. Hes about to turn 28, I doubt we pay him the 7 mill when hes 34
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

He had a very good year, and he could potentially be better. When you go 13-3, you want to keep the core guys around for continuity. Let's look at the Ravens as a comparison. The guys listed below for the Ravens have been on the team for over 5 years.

Terrell Suggs = Aldon Smith(?)
Ray Lewis = Patrick Willis
Haloti Ngata = Justin Smith
Ed Reed = Dashon Goldson (?)
Jarrett Johnson = Ahmad Brooks

Good teams keep their core together. You can also use the Steelers or Colts as additional examples.

I guess here's the other question: do you trust Haralson and a rookie over Brooks?
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Maybe is was a tad bit too much, but he probably would have gotten offers similar, outside of Mario, he was the 2nd best OLB free agent wise IMO. And Mario is gonna get 100M contract. Someone will freaking spend a ton on him.

And wait for march 13th, 4PM est, when deals start happening for every teams free agents, major deals will be hammered in first 5-8 hours. Players always get overpaid, its the nature of the business.
So this means that more than likely we will not have enough money to resign bowman in a few years or extend him? There is little to no way we can pay all 4 backers that much money unless we let a player like gore go or Rogers if we resign him for 6-7 a year. The steelers are in this situation now. Hopefully Alex and Rogers take a pretty discounted contract bc I would love to keep our d together
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Not dissatisfied in resigning him but Rodgers should have been priority. Brooks is a good player but Rodgers is more of a playmaker. That deep pass he broke up in for the Should be TD against the Saints not to mention in creating turnovers with the INTs he had this year he has more defensive value. Sacks are nice but INTs always get the offense the ball. Hopefully we can get Rodgers signed, franchise Goldson if not resign him. Smith is almost all but certain to come back although I have mixed feelings about resigning Smith I want to see what he can do in year 2 of same system but I think this year a slightly better QB wouldhaves gotten us our 6th Lombardi.. Costanzo would be nice to resign but ST guys seem easier to replace ST standouts then CBs and LBs.
Originally posted by GEEK:

He had a very good year, and he could potentially be better. When you go 13-3, you want to keep the core guys around for continuity. Let's look at the Ravens as a comparison. The guys listed below for the Ravens have been on the team for over 5 years.

Good teams keep their core together. You can also use the Steelers or Colts as additional examples.

I guess here's the other question: do you trust Haralson and a rookie over Brooks?

Good examples. And I feel better with Brooks at OLB then someone else.

Our front 7 is just amazing. Only position we may see a upgrade is NT if Sopoaga doesn;'t continue his improvement.
Originally posted by GEEK:

not even close

rest is definitally comparable though

Originally posted by elguapo:
So this means that more than likely we will not have enough money to resign bowman in a few years or extend him? There is little to no way we can pay all 4 backers that much money unless we let a player like gore go or Rogers if we resign him for 6-7 a year. The steelers are in this situation now. Hopefully Alex and Rogers take a pretty discounted contract bc I would love to keep our d together
Draft well, draft replacements for guys BEFORE they hit free agency. I would still like the 49ers to add a 3-4 OLB as a potential future replacement for Brooks in a few years.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by andes14:
An important point people are glossing over:

I hope people realize that on 1st and 2nd down, Brooks isn't even gonna be rushing the passer all that much. Aldon will be an every down player, and he will be doing most of the early down pass rushing, meaning Brooks will oftentimes be in coverage as Fangio rarely brings 5 or more rushers. If we did let Brooks walk, all we'd really need to go a long ways in replacing him would have been just a good coverage/set the edge LB, a la even our good friend Manny Lawson.

Just remember guys, this is the guy who claims Kurt Thomas is the best player to never make an all-star game.

Not to mention that Juan Gonzalez, Garrett Anderson, Jeff Bagwell, and Carlos Delgado were better baseball players than Derek Jeter. I still laugh at those comments.
Originally posted by Paul:
he is worth $7 million a year??

Only $17MM guaranteed. Great deal for an AWESOME player, esp. over 6 years.
Originally posted by elguapo:

Problem with Steelers is they are in deep cap hell. We aren't, we are set up nicely for future years. Bowman will get extended in 2013 before he is up after 2013. By 2013 most of Willis' bonus money is gone, his remaining signing bonus is in 2012.

Yes it is hard to keep the team intact, but I dont think it will be hard in 2013 and beyond, it's 2012, and trying to fit them under the cap. As of now we have around 88M committed for 2013, before Brooks and Spillman. It wont be as bad as 2012, we should have 40M+ to spend, less if we do keep our core together, and get a top notch WR.

I'm not concerned about future, it's just this year. So many FAs we need to retain, Brooks and Spillman are done, now it's Rogers and Goldson. Alex, Costanzo and Morgan will come. Imagine if Braylon hadn't busted and played great, we wouldn't be able to keep him.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Draft well, draft replacements for guys BEFORE they hit free agency. I would still like the 49ers to add a 3-4 OLB as a potential future replacement for Brooks in a few years.

I hope so, I just love bowman but I guess a good ilb is easier to find than a good olb.
Share 49ersWebzone