LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 231 users in the forums

What keeps the offense from begin elite

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Crabtree's strategy was to make a ton of cash and quit. End of story.
How did you possibly come to this conclusion??????????????

The Summer of Crabtree bashing is almost upon us. Once we get past Free Agency and the Draft, Webzoners will have nothing better to do than bash Crabtree. Poor guy will never live up to expectations...
Poor guy will never live up to expectations... as long as his lazy under achieving, no preseason ass continues to hold him back! I believe this is a contract year for Crabtree, and he strikes me as pay day wonder, a guy who will blow up for a season just in time to get paid, then go back to his weak punk ways as soon as possible! If he had a heart, he could be great, but heart is the one thing he lacks!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
There's blame for everyone, AS, the WR and even the play calling (coaches), AS missing wide open wr, wr dropping passes, and the plays sometimes being to cute.

Next year we will see if Crabtree comes to his own, as the 10 overall pick he hasn't lived up to the hype, all good wr break out in the second year, though he hasn't had good QB play. Plus he has gone from 48 catches to 55 to 72, so next year I expect him to somewhere between 89-99 balls and 8 TDs, especially if he wants a big contract after the following year (2014). Not expecting them to be 100%, but if AS can hit on 50 of those wide open wr, or the wr catch half those dropped balls and the coaches convert on half the opps with the right play calling, I expect a SB.

Alex will not be in the same offense for the 2nd straight year, if he doesn't show better play this year Kaep or Tolzien should be given a real chance.

Sometimes OC got to cute with the formation and play calling or wasn't aggressive at times.
If he does not show better play..what was wrong with the play of alex this year, he made plays with his arms and legs, he did not make mistakes, he was a true leader, he helped win 14 games, he broke montanas record for fourth quarter comebacks you are actually telling me that based upon the play of alex smith this past year, the job should be wide open and alex should not be the favorite. did i read that right or read between the lines right? if so,, wow
Originally posted by cciowa:
If he does not show better play..what was wrong with the play of alex this year, he made plays with his arms and legs, he did not make mistakes, he was a true leader, he helped win 14 games, he broke montanas record for fourth quarter comebacks you are actually telling me that based upon the play of alex smith this past year, the job should be wide open and alex should not be the favorite. did i read that right or read between the lines right? if so,, wow
I meant to say "Alex will be in the same offense...."
The argument from some people was that he had different coordinators, so shouldn't he improve? I was saying that if he doesn't show better next season (this year) Kaep or Tolzien should be given a chance. Please re-read.

If you consider his numbers last year as dynamic and you are satisfied-WOW (to you). As for 4th quarter comebacks, consider this, with the way the D played and the many short field opportunities he and the offense were given, the argument could be made that they should not have to come back from as many as they did.

However, as I stated there is plenty of blame for the offense that being better as that is the thread question. Are you saying Alex is blameless , then you were not paying attention to everything on offense.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I meant to say "Alex will be in the same offense...."
The argument from some people was that he had different coordinators, so shouldn't he improve? I was saying that if he doesn't show better next season (this year) Kaep or Tolzien should be given a chance. Please re-read.

If you consider his numbers last year as dynamic and you are satisfied-WOW (to you). As for 4th quarter comebacks, consider this, with the way the D played and the many short field opportunities he and the offense were given, the argument could be made that they should not have to come back from as many as they did.

However, as I stated there is plenty of blame for the offense that being better as that is the thread question. Are you saying Alex is blameless , then you were not paying attention to everything on offense.
i like alex very much and i suppose i make more of the drops by the wide outs than non alex fans. never said alex was blameless and you can give the d credit, which you should but there were many times we had to go on a long drive to score the winning touchdown,the defense was on the sidelines and alex got the job done, if you could not see that, you must have not been paying attention. what the heck, you are a good fan bill cuz you do not hope alex fails. i always like posters like you who give me things to think about
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

The Summer of Crabtree bashing is almost upon us. Once we get past Free Agency and the Draft, Webzoners will have nothing better to do than bash Crabtree. Poor guy will never live up to expectations...
Poor guy will never live up to expectations... as long as his lazy under achieving, no preseason ass continues to hold him back! I believe this is a contract year for Crabtree, and he strikes me as pay day wonder, a guy who will blow up for a season just in time to get paid, then go back to his weak punk ways as soon as possible! If he had a heart, he could be great, but heart is the one thing he lacks!

Crabtree hasn't quite lived up to expectations, and I'm definitely miffed at his lack of offseason training, but honestly he's the least of our worries right now. By the end of the year, our WR group was depleted, and sure, Crabs had a poor playoffs. But, for the most part, he played very well throughout the season and won accolades for his team-first and improved play from the CS/FO. He's BY FAR the best WR on the team, and will be a valuable asset going forward. We definitely need to add a complimentary threat on the other side--think a fast, big-bodied, big-play WR via draft or FA--but Crabtree's going to be here at least until his rookie deal is up. Remember that WR is one of the hardest transitions from college to the pros, and that it often takes WRs several years to come in to their own. Crabtree has consistently improved in each and every of his 3 years. With another year in the league, a year in the system, and more WR threats added to the team, this trend should continue.

Hell, VD didn't start really producing until his 4th year. A lot of the Crabs hate reminds me of how fans viewed Davis his first 3 years, and Davis showed comparatively much less in his first three seasons than Crabs has in his. I'm by no means equating the two or predicting the same results for Crabs, but the what is similar is this: we on the 'Zone have a troubling proclivity for hating on some of our most promising young players.
[ Edited by merm49 on Mar 5, 2012 at 11:25 AM ]
Originally posted by merm49:

Crabtree hasn't quite lived up to expectations, and I'm definitely miffed at his lack of offseason training, but honestly he's the least of our worries right now. By the end of the year, our WR group was depleted, and sure, Crabs had a poor playoffs. But, for the most part, he played very well throughout the season and won accolades for his team-first and improved play from the CS/FO. He's BY FAR the best WR on the team, and will be a valuable asset going forward. We definitely need to add a complimentary threat on the other side--think a fast, big-bodied, big-play WR via draft or FA--but Crabtree's going to be here at least until his rookie deal is up. Remember that WR is one of the hardest transitions from college to the pros, and that it often takes WRs several years to come in to their own. Crabtree has consistently improved in each and every of his 3 years. With another year in the league, a year in the system, and more WR threats added to the team, this trend should continue.

Hell, VD didn't start really producing until his 4th year. A lot of the Crabs hate reminds me of how fans viewed Davis his first 3 years, and Davis showed comparatively much less in his first three seasons than Crabs has in his. I'm by no means equating the two or predicting the same results for Crabs, but the what is similar is this: we on the 'Zone have a troubling proclivity for hating on some of our most promising young players.

The Crabtree "Hate" (over used slang usage that can't go out of style to soon) and the VD "Hate" should be similar to you, they both had head problems that got in the way of their physical talents, I don't "Hate" Crabtree, but I have seen his kind before, million dollar talent, ten cent head. I wish he would play at the level he is capable of at all times, I wish that he would dedicate himself to his craft, but I fear he will only do that because it is a contract year. I could be wrong, I hope I am, but in the end, only time will tell.

Again, I don't know how these conclusions are made. He has gone up in numbers every year. His team mates say great things about him. He has missed preseasons but even when Harbaugh took over, he was obviously not faking an injury or else he would have been on the field when the season started... I think he played part of the week 1 Seattle game, and sat out the week 2 game.

What wr numbers are you wanting him to put up? Are you just reading his body language and saying he has no heart? Or to the original OP, what makes you believe he wants to just quit? To get paid, you have to put up great numbers. So being lazy or quiting isn't going to get you a payday. If he had no heart, he could ask to get traded and play for a team that didn't ask him to block so much because there's no glory in it. He could ask to go to a pass happy team to boost his stats to make the probowl. He hasn't done any of that.

Crabs and VD make up 50% of our passing offense (Literally). Our problems are elsewhere. Crabs can get better, just like every other player can. We need more weapons on offense. A big WR and maybe a 2nd TE threat.
Originally posted by cciowa:
i like alex very much and i suppose i make more of the drops by the wide outs than non alex fans. never said alex was blameless and you can give the d credit, which you should but there were many times we had to go on a long drive to score the winning touchdown,the defense was on the sidelines and alex got the job done, if you could not see that, you must have not been paying attention. what the heck, you are a good fan bill cuz you do not hope alex fails. i always like posters like you who give me things to think about

As I said, if all those short fields and even medium fields had been converted from field goals to TDs, he (AS) and the O would not have had to make a comeback, you want your kicker to make about 24 filed goals, not 40+. Being conservative, what is that (?) 80 points more?
As I said, if all those short fields and even medium fields had been converted from field goals to TDs, he (AS) and the O would not have had to make a comeback, you want your kicker to make about 24 filed goals, not 40+. Being conservative, what is that (?) 80 points more?

When you get inside the twenty and the coach calls run plays you end up kicking a lot of FGs. The passing game was not good in the Red Zone but many times they chose to run into a stacked line on first and second down, making a pass inevitable on third and long. Smith's passing was least effective in the short game last year (though he had been very effective the year before).

How much of this ineffectiveness was due to the new system and injuries to WRs? Playcalling? Don't know but since his rating in the red zone had been much better in previous years I doubt it was all on Smith. Will be fun to see what they do to remedy the situation this coming season!

Again, I don't know how these conclusions are made. He has gone up in numbers every year. His team mates say great things about him. He has missed preseasons but even when Harbaugh took over, he was obviously not faking an injury or else he would have been on the field when the season started... I think he played part of the week 1 Seattle game, and sat out the week 2 game.

What wr numbers are you wanting him to put up? Are you just reading his body language and saying he has no heart? Or to the original OP, what makes you believe he wants to just quit? To get paid, you have to put up great numbers. So being lazy or quiting isn't going to get you a payday. If he had no heart, he could ask to get traded and play for a team that didn't ask him to block so much because there's no glory in it. He could ask to go to a pass happy team to boost his stats to make the probowl. He hasn't done any of that.

Crabs and VD make up 50% of our passing offense (Literally). Our problems are elsewhere. Crabs can get better, just like every other player can. We need more weapons on offense. A big WR and maybe a 2nd TE threat.

He will put up big number this season, it's a contract year!

Only #11 can improve. It's impossible for our WRs to improve
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

Yup. They are not fast enough, big enough, tall enough, can't run routes, can't create separation, can't catch etc...
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

That is such a negative point of view. You should try and cheer up, have hope!
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Yup. They are not fast enough, big enough, tall enough, can't run routes, can't create separation, can't catch etc...

uh no one said they cant improve but our only viable targets at the end of last year were VD and crabs

do you really see brett swain and hastings as reliable targets?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
When you get inside the twenty and the coach calls run plays you end up kicking a lot of FGs. The passing game was not good in the Red Zone but many times they chose to run into a stacked line on first and second down, making a pass inevitable on third and long. Smith's passing was least effective in the short game last year (though he had been very effective the year before).

How much of this ineffectiveness was due to the new system and injuries to WRs? Playcalling? Don't know but since his rating in the red zone had been much better in previous years I doubt it was all on Smith. Will be fun to see what they do to remedy the situation this coming season!

Like I said, I would say 33 percent each, to be divided by the coach, wr and qb- okay maybe 25 if you toss in the linemen, if each cuts their mistakes in half, that is a big step to 40+ FG to maybe just 24 FG. Also, instead of 1-13 on third downs in the championship game to maybe 6 or 7-13. Not all the run plays are on the coach-remember, Alex checked down in and out of the plays called, there were times when they might have run, but he decided to pass and vice versa and was wrong. Other times he decided to let it roll and was wrong. Of course there are times when he was right, just need more of these.

When you have a short field 20 yards and less a lot of teams that pass have problems, because you have less field to thin out a defense. Still to win the SB, this is what you gotta do.
Share 49ersWebzone