LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 207 users in the forums

What keeps the offense from begin elite

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
I don't think anyone was ever saying all the recievers need to go in the first place, we just need to fill in the holes, and hope to god crabtree decides this is the year to show up to work 5 minutes early instead of 5 minutes late.

I wouldn't care if we replaced all of our wide outs, really the two most important are Ginn, but not for his receiving, for his kick return skills, and Morgan, not because of his skills, but he and Alex seem to have a little chemistry. If you think about it, this receiving core is so utterly average it is sickening, there isn't one irreplaceable guy on that squad, all average to below average talent, nothing special.
Crabtree's strategy was to make a ton of cash and quit. End of story.
Can't wait for April to watch jim actually prepare for the draft. We will see the types of players he likes and what type of offense he will run. I remember a story about Walsh and Montana drawing plays in car to the SB that were unstoppable. Jim will likely create this.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I don't think anyone was ever saying all the recievers need to go in the first place, we just need to fill in the holes, and hope to god crabtree decides this is the year to show up to work 5 minutes early instead of 5 minutes late.

I wouldn't care if we replaced all of our wide outs, really the two most important are Ginn, but not for his receiving, for his kick return skills, and Morgan, not because of his skills, but he and Alex seem to have a little chemistry. If you think about it, this receiving core is so utterly average it is sickening, there isn't one irreplaceable guy on that squad, all average to below average talent, nothing special.

sad but true, the one year we get lucky enough to snag a top WR theres no CJ, Andre, Fitz, Green... Crabs isnt done yet and i hope he has a huge year still but the quality of those receivers and their talents are ridiculous compared to crabs.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

sad but true, the one year we get lucky enough to snag a top WR theres no CJ, Andre, Fitz, Green... Crabs isnt done yet and i hope he has a huge year still but the quality of those receivers and their talents are ridiculous compared to crabs.

I think Morgan and Crabtree would make a fine #2 and #3, to say Vincent Jackson, or Wallace, I would be okay going into next season with that group, Ginn and a rookie. I do think that over the course of a season, if healthy, Morgan would push Crabtree to the #3 spot, just on will, and chemistry with Alex, if we could just fuse Morgan and Crabtree into one receiver, Morgans heart, drive and and hands, with Crabtree's, athletics.
What keeps it from being elite?
With v.davis mentioning that it took the whole season to finally get a grasp of the offense sorta tells me that its more than just skill postioning thats holding the offense back. Seemslike the team will get there. Lack of system maturity. Btw on nfl network..kelvin martins knee was down before the td.
Originally posted by keeferr75:
With v.davis mentioning that it took the whole season to finally get a grasp of the offense sorta tells me that its more than just skill postioning thats holding the offense back. Seemslike the team will get there. Lack of system maturity. Btw on nfl network..kelvin martins knee was down before the td.

ive been saying the same thing forever but its being ignored

itd beyond me how we can have a conversation about offense not being elite after 1 year in a new offense with no offseason at that
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
you could turn back time and crank up this thread a year or two years ago when we were 6-10 and worse i see on some of the other teams forums how our fans whine about everything and are never happy. we have a team that won 14 games with new coaches and no off season and a new system, we almost got to the super bowl, we have a quarterback who is the biggest reason why we won the game that got us to the title game . if you did not know better you would think, by the postings of some,, we have just won 3 games, that is just sad
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by calinig4life:
Continuity, chemistry & very good WRs'

This, and I'd also like to throw in play-calling, don't get me wrong its been great, but I felt it could've been a bit more smarter (don't know if that's a good word to use). But for instance when Gore broke a 40 yard run against the Eagles in the first half, what did Roman dial up next, 3 pass plays only to go 3 and out in the redzone. Maybe Gore was tired, but Hunter was also killing it in the running game that day.

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by calinig4life:
Continuity, chemistry & very good WRs'

This, and I'd also like to throw in play-calling, don't get me wrong its been great, but I felt it could've been a bit more smarter (don't know if that's a good word to use). But for instance when Gore broke a 40 yard run against the Eagles in the first half, what did Roman dial up next, 3 pass plays only to go 3 and out in the redzone. Maybe Gore was tired, but Hunter was also killing it in the running game that day.

Hard to say on the play calling. I agree there were some WTF plays..although nothing like the Raye Raye era... I really felt like it was a shell game this season hiding weaknesses of the offense on any given day between Gore and the WRs core being so depleted.
  • dj43
Originally posted by cciowa:
you could turn back time and crank up this thread a year or two years ago when we were 6-10 and worse i see on some of the other teams forums how our fans whine about everything and are never happy. we have a team that won 14 games with new coaches and no off season and a new system, we almost got to the super bowl, we have a quarterback who is the biggest reason why we won the game that got us to the title game . if you did not know better you would think, by the postings of some,, we have just won 3 games, that is just sad

Some egos are involved. Some just like to debate. Some don't really follow the game other than just watching the football. Lots of reasons why some fans take the positions they do. Reality is that the league recognized an amazing job by the coaches and the GM as well as the team. Whether some fans recognize it doesn't really matter. However, it does keep the off-season "interesting."
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Some egos are involved. Some just like to debate. Some don't really follow the game other than just watching the football. Lots of reasons why some fans take the positions they do. Reality is that the league recognized an amazing job by the coaches and the GM as well as the team. Whether some fans recognize it doesn't really matter. However, it does keep the off-season "interesting."
yes you are right, i just had to vent,, i am fully aware that we could be better on offense but i really do not think it is not tragic if we are not "elite" whatever that means. we must upgrade our wide outs and if that involves replacing them all i am fine with that, we must get a younger version of gore whose name is not dixon, a solid guard whose name is not named chilo. that and a full off season with the coaches with the same system will help us improve on offense.
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Crabtree's strategy was to make a ton of cash and quit. End of story.
How did you possibly come to this conclusion??????????????

The Summer of Crabtree bashing is almost upon us. Once we get past Free Agency and the Draft, Webzoners will have nothing better to do than bash Crabtree. Poor guy will never live up to expectations...
There's blame for everyone, AS, the WR and even the play calling (coaches), AS missing wide open wr, wr dropping passes, and the plays sometimes being to cute.

Next year we will see if Crabtree comes to his own, as the 10 overall pick he hasn't lived up to the hype, all good wr break out in the second year, though he hasn't had good QB play. Plus he has gone from 48 catches to 55 to 72, so next year I expect him to somewhere between 89-99 balls and 8 TDs, especially if he wants a big contract after the following year (2014). Not expecting them to be 100%, but if AS can hit on 50 of those wide open wr, or the wr catch half those dropped balls and the coaches convert on half the opps with the right play calling, I expect a SB.

Alex will not be in the same offense for the 2nd straight year, if he doesn't show better play this year Kaep or Tolzien should be given a real chance.

Sometimes OC got to cute with the formation and play calling or wasn't aggressive at times.
Share 49ersWebzone