If Brooks Bails, Bring Back Manny?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Bowman doesn't run a 4.4.

Youre right
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
If we can't resign Brooks, how about resigning Larry Grant, move him to OLB or have him play in the middle and slide Bowman outside. Then draft someone to groom for the future say in the 3rd round.
ugh. so you move two established players, one a pro bowl player, to different positions just to accomodate lawson who can not rush the passer. i have no time to figure out this logic
For all of you that think it's a fact that the Niners let Lawson walk because he sucked, here is a little reminder as to what was going on.....

"NFL Free Agents 2011: Travis LaBoy, Manny Lawson And The 49ers OLB Position by David Fucillo on Jul 29, 2011 12:00 PM PDT in 2011 49ers Free Agents

144 comments Email Print
Yesterday evening Barrows tweeted that San Diego, Seattle and San Francisco were all interested in outside linebacker Travis LaBoy. According to Barrows the priority was in that order, although based on his tweet it's hard to tell if that means those are the order of LaBoy's interest or the order in terms of who has offered the most, or what exactly. Whatever the case, the market is developing for LaBoy.

On top of all this is the fact that there hasn't been much of anything said about Manny Lawson coming or going. LaBoy is probably the better pure pass rusher but Lawson is the more total package. If LaBoy and Manny Lawson were to talk in free agency, the 49ers could very well be left with Aldon Smith, Parys Haralson, Ahmad Brooks and Thaddeus Gibson. Beyond those three the team has brought in Monte Simmons and Kenny Rowe as undrafted free agents.

Free agency officially gets going later today at 3:00pm pacific when teams can start to physically meet with opposing team's free agents and can get them to put pen to paper. As that time approaches, do the 49ers need to add another outside linebacker to this group? Maybe a Matt Roth type of guy?

Of course, If they re-sign Manny Lawson I suppose it's a bit of a moot point. Do you see it as a necessity to get one of LaBoy or Lawson back on the roster?"

http://www.ninersnation.com/2011/7/29/2303580/nfl-free-agents-2011-travis-laboy-manny-lawson-49ers-olb-position

Summary:

There was an NFL Lockout

We already drafted Aldon

Harlason and Brooks were under contract for 2 years on the cheap (less than 3 million Lawson got in Cincy)

Lawson felt as if he should be a starter (potential locker room problem)

There wasn't (at least at the time) a very clear distinction in talent between Lawson and Brooks.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
For all of you that think it's a fact that the Niners let Lawson walk because he sucked, here is a little reminder as to what was going on.....

"NFL Free Agents 2011: Travis LaBoy, Manny Lawson And The 49ers OLB Position by David Fucillo on Jul 29, 2011 12:00 PM PDT in 2011 49ers Free Agents

144 comments Email Print
Yesterday evening Barrows tweeted that San Diego, Seattle and San Francisco were all interested in outside linebacker Travis LaBoy. According to Barrows the priority was in that order, although based on his tweet it's hard to tell if that means those are the order of LaBoy's interest or the order in terms of who has offered the most, or what exactly. Whatever the case, the market is developing for LaBoy.

On top of all this is the fact that there hasn't been much of anything said about Manny Lawson coming or going. LaBoy is probably the better pure pass rusher but Lawson is the more total package. If LaBoy and Manny Lawson were to talk in free agency, the 49ers could very well be left with Aldon Smith, Parys Haralson, Ahmad Brooks and Thaddeus Gibson. Beyond those three the team has brought in Monte Simmons and Kenny Rowe as undrafted free agents.

Free agency officially gets going later today at 3:00pm pacific when teams can start to physically meet with opposing team's free agents and can get them to put pen to paper. As that time approaches, do the 49ers need to add another outside linebacker to this group? Maybe a Matt Roth type of guy?

Of course, If they re-sign Manny Lawson I suppose it's a bit of a moot point. Do you see it as a necessity to get one of LaBoy or Lawson back on the roster?"

http://www.ninersnation.com/2011/7/29/2303580/nfl-free-agents-2011-travis-laboy-manny-lawson-49ers-olb-position

Summary:

There was an NFL Lockout

We already drafted Aldon

Harlason and Brooks were under contract for 2 years on the cheap (less than 3 million Lawson got in Cincy)

There wasn't (at least at the time) a very clear distinction in talent between Lawson and Brooks.

True! But we forget that it was Lawson who chose to leave (probably b/c of Brooks and Baalke's desire for pass rushers at the OLB spots). But who knows. There was a video-interview of him just before FA and IMHO, there was NO mistaking he was set to leave SF; hitting the FA market and looking to play for a winning team and make some coin. Obviously, none of that happened and I doubt it will happen again now that he is a FA after his one-year contract in Cincy. Not after 52 tackles and 1.5 sacks as an OLB in the 4-3.
Originally posted by NCommand:

144 comments Email Print

Summary:

There was an NFL Lockout

We already drafted Aldon

True! But we forget that it was Lawson who chose to leave (probably b/c of Brooks and Baalke's desire for pass rushers at the OLB spots). But who knows. There was a video-interview of him just before FA and IMHO, there was NO mistaking he was set to leave SF; hitting the FA market and looking to play for a winning team and make some coin. Obviously, none of that happened and I doubt it will happen again now that he is a FA after his one-year contract in Cincy. Not after 52 tackles and 1.5 sacks as an OLB in the 4-3.

It didn't happen? He got playing time on a 10-6 Cinci team that made the playoffs. I don't see why they wouldn't keep him around, I don't see why he'd come back here, and I don't see why people think he'd be a fit in this defense.
Matt Barrows ‏ @mattbarrows Brooks seeking $8M-a-year deal. @damo49ers: How much leverage does Brooks have considering lack of depth at OLB?

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
It didn't happen? He got playing time on a 10-6 Cinci team that made the playoffs. I don't see why they wouldn't keep him around, I don't see why he'd come back here, and I don't see why people think he'd be a fit in this defense.
some people are just in love with x niners who always helped us to a 6-10 record

144 comments Email Print

Summary:

There was an NFL Lockout

We already drafted Aldon

WTW,

Those are fair questions and I do agree that it's unlikely he would end up here. The only point of this thread was to say that if possible, I like him as a back up plan. But for guys to say that he completly sucks is dumb.

Ummm, going to Cincy as your only option in FA at that time on a one year deal was about as low as it gets. Nobody knew Cincy would turn out to be a good team. They may keep him but I highly doubt it will be for any big pay day (like he initially wanted - see also, Goldson, Dashon). He wouldn't come back here b/c nobody here would want him even if Brooks leaves. Heck, Aldon Smith had 37 tackles alone in 3rd down duties...not far off. And his stellar coverage? 4 PD. Wow...Haralson had 3 FF's alone. Anyhow, the point was Baalke never wanted him back and never offered him a contract b/c Baalke understand the #1 priority of an OLB in the 3-4 is to pass rush (en route to sealing the edge) and coverage was a huge distant 3rd (as we saw this year). Baalke even went so far as making a video highlighting the true responsibilities of an OLB in the 3-4.

So lets just drop it. We don't want him and he'd never come back here anyway (pride). He was never a good fit in the 3-4...he's an average, at-best LB who would never be allowed to come within 500 yards of this NFL-record setting defense (the one that came together immediately AFTER his 5 years here).
Originally posted by Youngb:
Matt Barrows ‏ @mattbarrows Brooks seeking $8M-a-year deal. @damo49ers: How much leverage does Brooks have considering lack of depth at OLB?

A lot! Or you can franchise him for, I believe, what was it? 6.2 million?

Originally posted by Youngb:

I feel like a webzone celebrity for twitting him this question
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Ummm, going to Cincy as your only option in FA at that time on a one year deal was about as low as it gets. Nobody knew Cincy would turn out to be a good team. They may keep him but I highly doubt it will be for any big pay day (like he initially wanted - see also, Goldson, Dashon). He wouldn't come back here b/c nobody here would want him even if Brooks leaves. Heck, Aldon Smith had 37 tackles alone in 3rd down duties...not far off. And his stellar coverage? 4 PD. Wow...Haralson had 3 FF's alone. Anyhow, the point was Baalke never wanted him back and never offered him a contract b/c Baalke understand the #1 priority of an OLB in the 3-4 is to pass rush (en route to sealing the edge) and coverage was a huge distant 3rd (as we saw this year). Baalke even went so far as making a video highlighting the true responsibilities of an OLB in the 3-4.

So lets just drop it. We don't want him and he'd never come back here anyway (pride). He was never a good fit in the 3-4...he's an average, at-best LB who would never be allowed to come within 500 yards of this NFL-record setting defense (the one that came together immediately AFTER his 5 years here).
POST OF THEYEAR. good job. lawson was always over rated. To him and a few fans he was elite. sorry never was and never will be. He would consider himself lucky if he ever got to come back here, set behind aldon and study the way a backer should rush the passer. like nc said, he is average at best who helped lead us to 6-10 records, why would you want to go backwards
Originally posted by WildBill:
If we can't resign Brooks, how about resigning Larry Grant, move him to OLB or have him play in the middle and slide Bowman outside. Then draft someone to groom for the future say in the 3rd round.

I think moving an all pro ILB to 3-4 olb where he will specialize in rushing the passer, something he's never done before, is a brilliant idea. Can Baalke hire you as an assistant?
Manny?????????
Manny is the protypical 4-3 OLB, he has nothing to do in a 3-4 scheme. Remember in 2010 he came of the field in passing sitautions...
nough said
Share 49ersWebzone