LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 132 users in the forums

If Brooks Bails, Bring Back Manny?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Brooks can take his whopping 7 sack season high and pound pavement for that price......

This. If they can bring back Lawson at a cheaper price and draft a solid 3-4 OLB prospect with pass-rushing skills, that is way preferable to dropping the farm on Brooks. He's good, but he's not irreplaceable.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Johnson is better than Manny though...

How do you figure? I watch a lot of Ravens games because of living on the east coast, and the dude plain out just does not impress me at all. Seems to benefit from having AMAZING talent around him more than anything. I don't understand his unjustified hype
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This. If they can bring back Lawson at a cheaper price and draft a solid 3-4 OLB prospect with pass-rushing skills, that is way preferable to dropping the farm on Brooks. He's good, but he's not irreplaceable.
this is just nuts, they are not going to bring back a guy they let walk last year. The reasons why they let him walk last year are still there, He can not rush the passer and maybe there are some other things tthe coaches do not like. if brooks walks you get a rookie and let our good coaches develop him. i do not want the stench of the old regime, who has already been dumped once, back. the clammer a and blather to bring back x niners is a complete mystery to me gee lets bring back manny and maybe he can learn from aldon smith .
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
this is just nuts, they are not going to bring back a guy they let walk last year. The reasons why they let him walk last year are still there, He can not rush the passer and maybe there are some other things tthe coaches do not like. if brooks walks you get a rookie and let our good coaches develop him. i do not want the stench of the old regime, who has already been dumped once, back. the clammer a and blather to bring back x niners is a complete mystery to me gee lets bring back manny and maybe he can learn from aldon smith .

Plus he only left for a 1 year deal for 2-3 mil so it's not like cost was an issue.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
manny was so good everyone was beating down his door which forced him to sign a one year deal. Unlike carlos rogers, lawson did not do anything to make anyone think he is worthy of more than a one year deal with someone.
Please tell me this thread is a joke...
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HoneyBadger49er:
I would love to but the history of some members of the webzone and thier constant love affair with x niners is of public knowledge

nope

I read a Fangio interview somewhere where he said he would have loved to sign Manny, and that he fit his system. It just didn't work out contract wise
I would love to but the history of some members of the webzone and thier constant love affair with x niners is of public knowledge

Madden strikes again...

Say no to Manny!!!!

Brooks will walk, IMO. Aldon will replace him as a starter and Brooks will want starter money with many other 3-4 team ready to give it to him. Therefore, we will need OLB depth for sure. Haralson is the other starter. However, I been thinking about the possibility of landing a FA DE/OLB. Maybe we go after Mario to see what it would take. He'd be perfect in our system as we play both 3-4 and 4-3. Holy cow! Having J. Smith-Ice-McD as our front three while Mario, Patrick, Navaroro and Aldon become the backers. Williams-J. Smith-RayMac-A. Smith as a third down option is a ridiculous and awesome front four.

It won't happen just for the same reason Wallace won't happen...too much mula! Looks like Melvin Ingram, Courtney Upshaw (we would have to trade up into the teens), Nick Perry, Whitney Mercilus, Vinny Curry, Andre Branch, Bruce Irvin and Chandler Jones could be our next OLB depth. Personally, would love to jump up and get Ingram or Upshaw if one slid into the twenties.

Much cheaper than Mario for sure. Curry, Irvin and Jones could be had in the second, but Curry is moving up fast.

What do you guys thing about Super Mario being a Niner?
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for spizzy.
Originally posted by ninertico:
Say no to Manny!!!!

Brooks will walk, IMO. Aldon will replace him as a starter and Brooks will want starter money with many other 3-4 team ready to give it to him. Therefore, we will need OLB depth for sure. Haralson is the other starter. However, I been thinking about the possibility of landing a FA DE/OLB. Maybe we go after Mario to see what it would take. He'd be perfect in our system as we play both 3-4 and 4-3. Holy cow! Having J. Smith-Ice-McD as our front three while Mario, Patrick, Navaroro and Aldon become the backers. Williams-J. Smith-RayMac-A. Smith as a third down option is a ridiculous and awesome front four.

It won't happen just for the same reason Wallace won't happen...too much mula! Looks like Melvin Ingram, Courtney Upshaw (we would have to trade up into the teens), Nick Perry, Whitney Mercilus, Vinny Curry, Andre Branch, Bruce Irvin and Chandler Jones could be our next OLB depth. Personally, would love to jump up and get Ingram or Upshaw if one slid into the twenties.

Much cheaper than Mario for sure. Curry, Irvin and Jones could be had in the second, but Curry is moving up fast.

What do you guys thing about Super Mario being a Niner?

Mario would be ideal. We might have the best front 7 in NFL history.....but I seriously doubt it would happen given Baalke's meticulous approach to free agency.

I don't get why we wouldn't pay Brooks. He is a STUD. He is a going to command a big contract and get one because other teams realize this. I don't feel comfortable with Aldon and either Haralson or a rookie starting. Aldon is a ridiculous talent and he STILL DIDNT START, so its unrealistic to expect another rookie to come in and have an Aldon like impact, let alone start. Plus, if that happened we would only have 1 veteran OLB in Haralson.

The safest/best option is to just PAY BROOKS. If not, drafting a young OLB and signing Manny wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. Manny is better than a lot of people gave him credit for. They are just upset he didn't put up the sack numbers.
LOL lawson sucks, when you play olb in a 3-4 your main job is to rush the passer and he cannot do that to save his life
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
LOL lawson sucks, when you play olb in a 3-4 your main job is to rush the passer and he cannot do that to save his life

thank god for fred. good job
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

thank god for fred. good job

Yeah, because Brooks record setting season high 7 sacks dwarfs Lawson's measily 6.5 forgetable sack season....derp.....

With that said, this isn't a debate about Brooks vs Lawson....
Share 49ersWebzone