LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 154 users in the forums

If Brooks Bails, Bring Back Manny?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm pretty sure that Lawson is sour grapes over being allowed to walk last season, but if he was willing to come back would you sign him? Dont get me wrong, Brooks has done an amazing job, but based on the collective thought of the Zone, it doesn't seem likely we will be able to retain him. Last year Lawson signed a 1 year deal for 3 million with the Bengals. That's chump change for a starting OLB. Lawson is increadibly athletic, is great against the run and is an "Oh so close, but no cigar" kind of passrusher, which just might be enough considering the amount of pressure the Smith brothers bring. Anyway, he could be a familar and cheap solution if the Brooks deal falls through. He's an upgrade over Haralson and probably wouldn't cost much more. Anyway, just a thought.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 21, 2012 at 9:08 PM ]
Not a bad thought in my opinon.
Nah he doesn't fit our scheme and I honestly feel like Haralson is a better fit for what we do if they're both going for that OLB spot. I'd rather draft someone like Jake Bequette/Ronnell Lewis and plug them in to that 3 OLB rotation somehow. Or find a vet that can be a part time player. Not a fan of Manny in this defense. He was cool as a person and a player but he's just not a fit in a 3-4.
Sorry, I like Lawson as a coverage LB/Run stopping LB but we've seen the light. We need guys who can get sacks. Haralson has gotten much better against the run (too bad he didn't do that when he started) but his pass rush has declined. Lawson is a better 4-3 OLB anyways. So basically if Brooks bails I see us going after an OLB real early in the draft and there are a bunch of options this year. Upshaw will be gone but Branch, Curry, Mercilus, Perry, maybe even Melvin Ingram if he drops a few pounds. Lawson was fine for in the past but we need more now.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 21, 2012 at 9:19 PM ]
I don't think Trent would make that move....
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Nah he doesn't fit our scheme and I honestly feel like Haralson is a better fit for what we do if they're both going for that OLB spot. I'd rather draft someone like Jake Bequette/Ronnell Lewis and plug them in to that 3 OLB rotation somehow. Or find a vet that can be a part time player. Not a fan of Manny in this defense. He was cool as a person and a player but he's just not a fit in a 3-4.

To be clear, I still would like to draft for the position. We need depth and a legit passrusher. However, while/if we make the transition I want to keep this defense operating at a high level. If Brooks leaves we basically have Haralson, Aldon and a rookie....yikes. Lawson would be much needed insurance, unless of course we find a better option in FA. I just think OLB has to be a top priority, if only for depth purposes. We need to add a legit vet.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

Agreed, this ship has sailed. This past season proved he's a better fit in the 4-3.
Originally posted by Hopper:

Agreed, this ship has sailed. This past season proved he's a better fit in the 4-3.

Just curious, in what way? I dont think you can say the real upgrade in our defense came from Lawson leaving and Brooks starting. The upgrade came from starting RayMac, adding Aldon and Justin playing out of his dam mind.....did I mention the addition of Bowman as well?

BTW, Lawson had better stats as a Niner in 2010 and 09 than he did as a 2011 Bengal.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 21, 2012 at 9:29 PM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Hopper:

Just curious, in what way? I dont think you can say the real upgrade in our defense came from Lawson leaving and Brooks starting. The upgrade came from starting RayMac, adding Aldon and Justin playing out of his dam mind.....did I mention the addition of Bowman as well?

BTW, Lawson had better stats as a Niner in 2010 and 09 than he did as a 2011 Bengal.

Brooks was a pretty big upgrade over Manny dude. Better pass rusher+against the run IMO. Manny's probably better in coverage, but Brooks wasn't bad either when they dropped him back.
Won't happen.

• sfout
  • Veteran
No he played great as 2 down 4-3 OLB. No way he goes back to a 3-4 scheme unless it is his absolute last option.
Might be nice to have someone who can cover TEs so Willis doesn't have to. I miss seeing him drop into that hook curl-to-hook zone and destroy crossing routes. Of course, it would have to be cheap. A 4-3 team could like what they saw and offer bigger bucks than we would.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

I can if we're talking about pass rush, Brooks was a real upgrade in that area. The run defense between the two is a wash. I'd give Manny the edge in coverage, but that's it.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
As a strong side linebacker in a 4-3 yes, but no way in hell as a pass rushing 3-4 outside linebacker.

Bowman-Willis-Lawson
McDonald-Soap-Smith-Smith

That looks good to me with RJF, Haralson, a draft pick, and Dobbs rotating in. The 49ers arn't switching to a 4-3 anytime soon though so it's not happening.
Manny saw what we did without him so he can be mad all he wants, I don't care! He knows we don't need him or Clements.
He can stay in Cincy and battle the Steelers and Ravens or he can come back and maybe win a SuperBowl.
Either way the niners are gonna be good. You guys are right though he can't rush the passer for sh*t!
If he comes back for the right money, I don't have a problem with it.
Share 49ersWebzone