LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 211 users in the forums

Do you believe the 49er will sign a true #1 WR AND a high draft pick as #2 WR?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do you believe the 49er will sign a true #1 WR AND a high draft pick as #2 WR?

Rather than start another thread, here's a question for the overwhelming majority who think Coach H and Baalke will NOT pay top dollar for a FA #1 WR, nor get a top #2 WR in draft, as the cost is too high.

Do you think B&H WILL get a #1 WR via FA and a #2WR via draft by trading up IF, IF we could do so by spending say only $4 mil more/yr on #1WR and trade up for one of our guys(craps) going in trade elsewhere? Here's the idea. Trading craps saves $4.25 mil/yr(or thereabout) and that would allow us to get an $8 or $9 mil/yr FA WR for net incr of $4.5 mil/yr, not an exorbinant amt of money for a #1 WR. By trading craps we could then move up the board to get a legitimate #2WR, and then Morgan becomes #3(vs competition from a bunch of UDFA or late rd WRs). So trading our current #1 and his salary, who has played like a #4 , would allow us to get a FA #1 WR and also then trade up for a legitimate #2 WR. To round things out kyle could be a # 4, and ginn a #5, knowing that in the late rds or UDFAs, Coach H and Baalke may very well find us a better #3 than morgan and /or a better #4 than kyle...and for not much money. Ques isn't do you like the idea, but do you think B& H would do that?

For the large majority of you who think the two acquisitions are too expensive, here is a way to do it for a net incr of $4.5mil/yr. Yes, we will have to pay more $$ for the #2WR but we would have spent that money on someone anyway. It would mean trading craps, but could be a workable solution to affording a #1 and #2 WR, which we bascially just have to have if we want to win it all next yr.
I think we are caught up too much in wanting a #1 receiver. They will probably get the best they can afford in FA. Then draft what's best available in the early round. Try to find a gem in the late round. And if lucky a undrafted talent to camp also. Like Baldwin with the Seahawks.
Well, qnnhan, that is pretty much the way B& H did it last yr, but now we are so close, do you think they will stay from the scheme that brought us such a great draft and FA .last yr...or will they do something that guarantees an #1 FA WR and a high draft pick for #2 WR? Somehow I think they will, but their results were so good last yr, i suspect you are correct.
i believe we will sign a good WR in FA(not nessasarily a #1) and draft one WR in an early round(1st-3rd). whether or not they turn out to be a legit 1 and 2 will be determind.
  • dj43
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Rather than start another thread, here's a question for the overwhelming majority who think Coach H and Baalke will NOT pay top dollar for a FA #1 WR, nor get a top #2 WR in draft, as the cost is too high.

Do you think B&H WILL get a #1 WR via FA and a #2WR via draft by trading up IF, IF we could do so by spending say only $4 mil more/yr on #1WR and trade up for one of our guys(craps) going in trade elsewhere? Here's the idea. Trading craps saves $4.25 mil/yr(or thereabout) and that would allow us to get an $8 or $9 mil/yr FA WR for net incr of $4.5 mil/yr, not an exorbinant amt of money for a #1 WR. By trading craps we could then move up the board to get a legitimate #2WR, and then Morgan becomes #3(vs competition from a bunch of UDFA or late rd WRs). So trading our current #1 and his salary, who has played like a #4 , would allow us to get a FA #1 WR and also then trade up for a legitimate #2 WR. To round things out kyle could be a # 4, and ginn a #5, knowing that in the late rds or UDFAs, Coach H and Baalke may very well find us a better #3 than morgan and /or a better #4 than kyle...and for not much money. Ques isn't do you like the idea, but do you think B& H would do that?

For the large majority of you who think the two acquisitions are too expensive, here is a way to do it for a net incr of $4.5mil/yr. Yes, we will have to pay more $$ for the #2WR but we would have spent that money on someone anyway. It would mean trading craps, but could be a workable solution to affording a #1 and #2 WR, which we bascially just have to have if we want to win it all next yr.

The problem IS Crabtree. He has not yet proven his worth, much of it because of injury. As a result, you can't trade him because no one is going to eat his salary. He just isn't worth it. The only recourse is to keep him, hope he stays healthy and begins to play closer to what a #10 overall pick should play...and then hope you can re-sign him. For now, trading him is just not an option as I see it.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
We'll pick up some has-been or never-was in FA and draft a WR with our first and a couple in the later rounds.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
We'll pick up some has-been or never-was in FA and draft a WR with our first and a couple in the later rounds.

You really believe Baalke's attitude is like yours? Eh, whoever will fit the bill at FA WR? C'mon now!

It will be just like last year. He will see what the "Market" will bear for his choices. If the "Market" demand is too high, then move to the next candidate the way he did with CBs starting with Nnamdi.

IMO, he will be leaving no WR FA stone unturned. Starting with all the available FA, he will go down the line. He will get one that will "fit". That much I do believe in and he will be of definite value.

Given what Baalke did last year, I'm excited for this year!
I believe harghbalk will get 2 receivers that will fit n2 what we do. We're a w.c. offense we dont have to have a #1 receiver. I personally like the idea of having V. Jackson and R. Randall on defense A. Branch and D. Wolfe
A TRUE #1 WR in free angency, I doubt it! Not because I don't have faith in the team or GM, but because of the value of some of the second tier guys may better suit our needs at our positions. I'm not crazy about overpaying for any ONE player, I'm still trying to forget the Clements contract. :( Breaking the bank doesn't always help.

A TRUE #1 WR in the draft, depends on free agency (other than WR) and best player on the board. If free agnecy leaves with holes to fill or the need for quality depth, then No.

So, no I doubt it!
[ Edited by Fal_Mc11 on Feb 21, 2012 at 10:18 AM ]
We are Niners fans with Jerry Rice defining the #1 receiver position. So it's strange to me that somehow to think in terms of not having a #1 receiver on the team. But going off this year with Harbaugh, the offensive passing game was mostly off of playaction. A safe take what they give you type of offense. Whitner confirmed this. So improving the receiver core without having a true #1 receiver makes a lot of sense in the Harbaugh offense that we have seen. I think Harbaugh and Roman can swing either way for next year depends on what Baalke can get them.

If Baalke can some how get a couple of very good WR talent to the team, they might do a 180 and be a passing team, especially with the possible decline of Frank. If not, the passing game will still be playaction based and safe. I think we might end up some where in between.

• dj43
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
We are Niners fans with Jerry Rice defining the #1 receiver position. So it's strange to me that somehow to think in terms of not having a #1 receiver on the team. But going off this year with Harbaugh, the offensive passing game was mostly off of playaction. A safe take what they give you type of offense. Whitner confirmed this. So improving the receiver core without having a true #1 receiver makes a lot of sense in the Harbaugh offense that we have seen. I think Harbaugh and Roman can swing either way for next year depends on what Baalke can get them.

If Baalke can some how get a couple of very good WR talent to the team, they might do a 180 and be a passing team, especially with the possible decline of Frank. If not, the passing game will still be playaction based and safe. I think we might end up some where in between.
I don't disagree with anything you are saying here based on the past season. However, I believe we may have seen quite a different offense if Edwards would have stayed healthy. If you really think about it, the signing of Edwards was a BIG move. The guy had been a top 5 draft choice and had been very productive although inconsistent. JH felt his personal relationship with the kid's family would be enough to turn him around but that failed. Had he played like he can play, he would have been a solid #1.

What I take from that is that Jim Harbaugh clearly knows this team needs a true #1 and they will attempt to get that player for the upcoming season. I just don't think they will spend the money on a FA. I believe they will use the #30 and a 3rd or 4th on one of the speedy smurfs that are out there. Would not be surprised it was Joe Adams in the 3rd with the first round pick being Fleener or perhaps Randle, though they may be both gone by #30.
Originally posted by dj43:

I don't disagree with anything you are saying here based on the past season. However, I believe we may have seen quite a different offense if Edwards would have stayed healthy. If you really think about it, the signing of Edwards was a BIG move. The guy had been a top 5 draft choice and had been very productive although inconsistent. JH felt his personal relationship with the kid's family would be enough to turn him around but that failed. Had he played like he can play, he would have been a solid #1.

What I take from that is that Jim Harbaugh clearly knows this team needs a true #1 and they will attempt to get that player for the upcoming season. I just don't think they will spend the money on a FA. I believe they will use the #30 and a 3rd or 4th on one of the speedy smurfs that are out there. Would not be surprised it was Joe Adams in the 3rd with the first round pick being Fleener or perhaps Randle, though they may be both gone by #30.

That's not true. Harbaugh knew that this team needed more of a jump-ball guy. If Braylon wanted more money, we would not have signed him. We got him for cheap which was the main reason he was picked up.

There's only about 10 true #1 WR's in the league, if even that. Calling for a #1 WR is not different than calling for a QB like Drew Brees.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:

That's not true. Harbaugh knew that this team needed more of a jump-ball guy. If Braylon wanted more money, we would not have signed him. We got him for cheap which was the main reason he was picked up.

There's only about 10 true #1 WR's in the league, if even that. Calling for a #1 WR is not different than calling for a QB like Drew Brees.
That is your opinion. I fully disagree. Harbaugh knows the critical importance of a top level wide out going all the way back to his days at Indy with Marvin Harrison. Watch and see. They will make a move to solve that need, more likely in the draft than FA though.

That is your opinion. I fully disagree. Harbaugh knows the critical importance of a top level wide out going all the way back to his days at Indy with Marvin Harrison. Watch and see. They will make a move to solve that need, more likely in the draft than FA though.

No harm in acquiring a top WR but our 40+ sacks by the OL (even though most were on the road) also points directly to a need. However, don't expect us to throw money at a "#1 WR." Not worth the money to acquire someone who will probably barely get 1000 if he's mostly the primary target. Most of these guys get 1000-1200 yards while being targeted around 140 or so times. Not gonna happen on the 49ers considering our own #1 was targeted 114 times this year and our "#1" last year was targeted 101 times for 741 and our #2 was targets 80 times for 698. Now imagine if in 2010, Crabs and Morgan were targets 140 and 110 each. Crabs would have 1000 and Morgan would be right there with them.

It doesn't make sense to throw money at a WR who's production will probably drop in this offense. WE can get what we desire in the draft and use him for specific purposes during his development year.
  • dj43

No harm in acquiring a top WR but our 40+ sacks by the OL (even though most were on the road) also points directly to a need. However, don't expect us to throw money at a "#1 WR." Not worth the money to acquire someone who will probably barely get 1000 if he's mostly the primary target. Most of these guys get 1000-1200 yards while being targeted around 140 or so times. Not gonna happen on the 49ers considering our own #1 was targeted 114 times this year and our "#1" last year was targeted 101 times for 741 and our #2 was targets 80 times for 698. Now imagine if in 2010, Crabs and Morgan were targets 140 and 110 each. Crabs would have 1000 and Morgan would be right there with them.

It doesn't make sense to throw money at a WR who's production will probably drop in this offense. WE can get what we desire in the draft and use him for specific purposes during his development year.

RE: OL need. I have posted numerous times around here that if the BPA at #30 is a guard like Cordy Glenn rather than a WR, then that should be the choice. Snyder did a decent job last year but got pushed back far too often. Goodwin's weakness is also inadequate strength to hold off a strong rusher in the middle. The front of the pocket collapsed too soon and too often last season. We must solve that problem in one of the first two picks. Whichever one isn't met with #30, it will be met with the next pick.
Share 49ersWebzone