LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 243 users in the forums

According to Adam Shefter, the 49ers are tryin to get 2 Top WR's

Shop Find 49ers gear online
hope we don't sign any of the players that drew brees made "look" good. And go after someone like garcon.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by Squidp:
Meachem and Randle!!

Meachem is a product of Drew Brees. No thanks.

Agreed. Meachem is really no better than Devery Henderson. Also has the worst hands on that team at the WR position.

Meachem= brees
Wayne/Garcon=manning
Manningham= other manning
Vjax= Rivers
Djax= vick

f**k man chances are all these receivers won't do s**t here compared to the stats they put up in their previous offenses lol..

Robert Meachem is garbage.

This and DeSean was good well before Vick became the starting QB for the Eagles. Yeah.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Meachem and Randle!!

Agreed. Meachem is really no better than Devery Henderson. Also has the worst hands on that team at the WR position.

Meachem= brees
Wayne/Garcon=manning
Vjax= Rivers
Djax= vick

f**k man chances are all these receivers won't do s**t here compared to the stats they put up in their previous offenses lol..

This and DeSean was good well before Vick became the starting QB for the Eagles. Yeah.
Desean had Mcnabb? Mcnabb was pretty decent himself.

The only FA WR who isn't really QB made is Bowe, his Qb's are hot garbage.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Meachem and Randle!!

Meachem= brees
Wayne/Garcon=manning
Vjax= Rivers
Djax= vick

Thank heavens we have a QB who made VD look good!

Almost more concerned with shoring up the OLine than getting a WR. With Snyder playing RG it leaves the line short of back ups unless Kilgore is ready and even then Person and Boone back up at OT, not OG...and that would be assuming Person is ready to do anything.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 18, 2012 at 7:47 AM ]
Phoenix, just a clarification on your post #163, and your comment, "stop with this inane nonsense" ...also calling crabtree craps is not clever or witty and makes you sound like a snarky 12 yr old".

You will note nowhere have i ever called him crap, instead using the term craps. Reason? Because every time he goes out for a pass, there is a sense of being in Las Vegas, and the chance he will actually catch the ball is about the same as winning in craps, as in the game of chance... at the craps tables. Maybe that isn't clever or witty, but it sure describes our man fumble fingers when the chips are down. Circus catches in midseason, then in the money games, 1 (ONE) reception for 3 yrds against NYG, and worse, 3 drops in the Saints game ,and they all hit him between the 1 and 5. If "craps" bothers you, well it bothers me too. I would much rather refer to him as "Tree' , as he made catches on those skyballs earlier in season. Then when the collar got tight, he disappears...like at the craps tables. If you are offended by that, well I would be delighted to start calling him TREE, but obviously his performance doesn't justify it...yet. But we can always hope.

As a side note, Tebow is working with a Qb coach in LA, vernon and alex spent a lot of time together learning how each responded to the others moves, Rice spent hours with montana getting on the same page, and there are many other examples back in time of guys not cutting it, getting extra time, in this case with our qB. Is any of that going on? Not that has been reported, but we already know that if alex is asked, he will gladly work with a WR who wants to improve. Rice had a miserable first yr with drops, but he worked on it like crazy. More importantly, he wrote the book on running crisp routes , and using fakes that instantly put the CB or DB on his heels and Jerry immediately gained the upper hand. If craps were to do that, put out the extra effort, it would help the team immensely, and more importantly help craps. Also I would call him Tree. But so far, he hasn't seemed to show the interest in getting extra work. With the addition of 2 new WRs, he may find he wished he had taken the opportunity to get in sync with alex. Hopefully the new additions will push craps and he will become what we thot we had when he got drafted. Oh, and a half season holdout didn't help either.
Meachem and Randle!!

Meachem= brees
Wayne/Garcon=manning
Vjax= Rivers
Djax= vick

Garcon put up 950/6 with Collins, Painter, and Orlovsky throwing to him.

Its stupid to say a WR may only be good because the QB throwing to him. Most of this guys listed were high draft picks and great receivers in college. The only receiver we've drafted in the last 15 years that had as good of college careers as those guys is Crabtree.
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Originally posted by btthepunk:

I hope he slides to the 20s and we trade up for him.

Trading up in the first round is EX SPEN SIVE. Even if it's just 4 spots or whatever. I remember giving up something like our 2nd rounder plus two 4th rounders last year just to trade up 11ish spots and get Kaepernick last year, and that was an early 2nd round draft pick. I hope we just hold our ground and wait for someone to come to us. If someone isn't there who we like, try to trade out of it, if possible.

According to the draft trade value chart. If he slid to #20 it would take between a 2nd and 3rd round pick to move up the 10 spots. Id be willing to give up a 2nd round pick or a 3rd and 4th.
According to the draft trade value chart. If he slid to #20 it would take between a 2nd and 3rd round pick to move up the 10 spots. Id be willing to give up a 2nd round pick or a 3rd and 4th.

if kendall wright or floyd falls there i would take that trade for a 2nd even
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

if kendall wright or floyd falls there i would take that trade for a 2nd even

For sure.
Just give the 1 and keep your 2 and 3 and sign WALLACE we don't need rookies we are soooo close to the superbowl trophy!

Originally posted by CRABTREE:
Just give the 1 and keep your 2 and 3 and sign WALLACE we don't need rookies we are soooo close to the superbowl trophy!

i agree with this

id rather have waalce for a first but if we dont get him i wouldnt hesitate to trade a 2nd to get wright who is extremelly similar to wallace and also floyd who is the most fundemetally and nfl ready WR prospect this year
  • dj43
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by dj43:
I just dont see it happening. To echo what Tierney and Davis said yesterday on their show......

"If you are a top FA WR, would you want to go to a team that is a run heavy offense with Alex Smith as the QB?"

Im not saying the answer is going to be a resounding NO for most WRs....but it is definitely a question that they will all ask themselves.
Once again, the local one trick pony arrives just on time.

"Run heavy offense" may or may not be an issue. The problem with the offense this year was the lack of WRs (stating the obvious). Hence, a player like Garcon, who became frustrated with the failure last season, may see the opportunity to come here and become the piece that makes the offense more balanced AND an odds-on SB contender. Having an offensive-minded NFL Coach of the Year HC AND a winning record is a big draw for a receiver.

Once again, the blatant name calling is unnecessary. Just because you have been here longer than me doesnt mean you can regularly talk down to me.

ESPECIALLY in this instance, where I didnt even really post an opinion.....but rather passed along a statement made by our OWN color commentator. You are too much.

You never seem to miss an opportunity to express negative feelings about Alex Smith whether it is in the Alex Smith thread or otherwise. It is your pet subject.

We all know that Smith, as good as he was last season, has not yet justified his draft position. We also, most of us anyway, also recognize the integral nature of the QB/WR relationship. Improve one you improve the other. Works both ways. The QB play improved dramatically last season but the WR play was lackluster to say the least. Shefter and others have recognized it. Time to fix that. Most players, and their agents, will see the opportunity here. Where else will a decent WR go with a similar opportunity to get to the SB?

The Giants, NO and GB are loaded with WRs. Atlanta is set. Pittsburgh has quality. So does Baltimore. Dallas might have an opening but the defense is not good. Houston starts with Johnson. Detroit is full. Where is a Mike Wallace going to go if he leaves Pittsburgh and wants to go to a winner?

Do you understand how much the sentences that are bolded contradict each other. You say one improves and the other does to...and how they work both ways. Then you go and say that the QB play improved but the WRs didnt. Makes zero sense.

As far as your last paragraph goes.....dont you find it the slightest bit ironic/coincidental that ALL of the teams that have good/great receiving corps also have a top 10 QB (sans Baltimore, but I dont agree with you that they have a ton of quality receivers)?

And to address your "pet subject" comment, yes I will gladly admit that Alex is the subject I speak on most. You want to know why? Because its the subject that has the most debates. I enjoy debating on sports. And for some reason, its one of the only Niner subject matters that has two large groups with differing opinions.

Last thing....just curious if you plan on insulting and commenting on statements like the one I am about to quote....seeing as he is pretty much saying the same thing that I/Tierney/Davis was saying:

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Wallace still has to sign a contract, he has to want to come to SF in the first place. That's a big IF....especially leaving Big Ben to play with Alex Smith.
Thank you for your admission that you simply "enjoy debating on sports." That is helpful in my attempts to understand most of your posts. You pick a topic and one side of it only and stick with it with that view only. Having spent several years on a college debate team I get you now. The problem I had been having with your posts was that you ONLY looked at one side of that issue without ever acknowledging the other side. In so doing, you came off sounding like many fans who only watch the ball and never take the time to dig deeper to gain an understanding of why certain plays worked or did not work.

Even considering your admission, I still don't know how much you actually study or know about the game. You remind me of a debate partner I had for a short time. He was VERY good on the negative side of the topic but would get clobbered on the affirmative side. (in college debate each team must debate both sides of an issue twice in qualifying rounds) He could just never bring himself to fully accept the affirmative proposal even though it meant the difference between going on to the trophy round or not. You are like that guy. You never seem to grasp the other side of the issue but now your admission makes it clear it is just a matter of choice.

So I'll just stay out of your way as I prefer to talk about the entire game of football and not just pick one aspect alone.
Meachem and Randle!!

Meachem= brees
Wayne/Garcon=manning
Vjax= Rivers
Djax= vick

Garcon and Wayne just managed to do pretty well without Manning.
Originally posted by mjboot:
Sign a free agent wR any of the top 5 . Draft te at number 1. Cb or lb depends who we lose in fa at 2. Draft a guard at number 3, draft a wr/kr at 4. DL at 5. Cb at 6

this is exactly what I'm thinking and hope Trent is as well.

I think Walker is a bit overrated and another stud TE (6'5" or taller) with decent speed and good hands would really help out in the red zone. Matchup problems to boot just like in NE and then nobody could double Vernon! Killer O right there, if we get the #1 wr in FA!!!
Originally posted by CRABTREE:

We are not "so" close to the superbowl trophy. our secondary and Oline need a bit of work.

And you saw how our defense took a few steps back when Ray Mac was injured, and when justin smith was out for plays we lost a lot.
Share 49ersWebzone