LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 299 users in the forums

Is there any 49er that is more over-rated than Delanie Walker?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
would be better for the offense if he was a good pass blocker too

We can say that about Staley and hes actually a lineman.

yup, but this thread isnt about him.

Thread Title: Is there any 49er that is more overrated than Delanie Walker ?

yup, and orginally maybe even early in the thread the conversation/debate could have been included other niners but the focus is clearly on walker now if it hasn't been for the bulk of this thread. the op even goes on to briefly compare our te situation to teams like the pats.

ya can bring up other niners now but imho its pretty much about walker and his impact on the team.

yup, and orginally maybe even early in the thread the conversation/debate could have been included other niners but the focus is clearly on walker now if it hasn't been for the bulk of this thread. the op even goes on to briefly compare our te situation to teams like the pats.

ya can bring up other niners now but imho its pretty much about walker and his impact on the team.

IMO i think we have bigger concerns than Delanie.

yup
Too easy: Rogers,Staley,Vernon, and you know who...
Originally posted by Irish40Niner:
Too easy: Rogers,Staley,Vernon, and you know who...

Too easy? Rogers, Staley, more over rated than Walker? Staley and Rogers start every game at a much more taxing position than #2 TE. I think its ridiculous that you even listed them. I'll give you Davis. Davis has been a complete non factor recently outside of blocking. Anything thrown to Davis has to be dropped in the old bread basket or forget it. He couldn't catch crabs from $10 hooker. Glad we paid him a qb's salary! Also, wanted to point out that all of this Walker is a good blocker BS is just that. Complete BS! Yes he's improved but he's still a terrible blocker. He may have improved to the point of being average but that might be pushing it.
[ Edited by NinerG94 on Jan 4, 2013 at 8:56 AM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The guy is simply not good. His hands are very overrated. He drops passes and fumbles. And he never puts up big #'s. The only guys who think he is a super star are Joecool and Susweel. And the only thing keeping him back from stardom is the QB throwing to him. Funny the same QB didn't hold back VD from stardom or Pro Bowls or big #'s.... People fell in love with him because he has some speed. Ableit not as much as VD. But he doesn't play anywhere near his timed speed. He looks slower and more sluggish out there.

In a day and age where all these teams have 6'5", 6'6", 6'7" TE's and WR's we have the shortest guys in the league. The game is played in the air now with all the rule changes. I'd say dump him and pick up Fleener. Our team would be better. And I expect Fleener to be the better player in the NFL.

To answer the original question he is among the most overrated 49ers.
yes but did you not say the niners would rue the day when we let go of our former number one draft choice, fisherman woods? i am not sure anyone said he is a superstar, i think the best thing is that he is like vernon,, they create mismatches for the defense which is something we have with our tight ends. whats wrong with that

I just think Fleener is more of a mismatch. A 6'5" or 6'6" guy with far better hands running down the middle and picking the ball our of the air. That's better than a 6'0" player. He would be our Jimmie Graham or Gronkowski. I think that's more of mismatch paired with VD than what we currently have.
I for one, prefer the true tight end mold. Like Brent Jones, or Jay Novacek. The ones who always find a way to get open, and are big enough to bring the ball in with tight coverage. We have the beast receiver in Vernon, and the jack of all trades in Delanie. Celek is our best true TE.

This was the exact point of this thread, people basically saying "oh yeah, their fine, no need to upgrade at TE, bigger needs...blah...blah."

When your offense depends on the #2 TE as much as this one and the #2 TE gets as many snaps as they do in this offense, then you can't afford to not upgrade to a more reliable offensive threat and if he's going to be out on the field for an extended amount of time.

I felt that way last year, I feel that way even moreso this year, they need to upgrade and will be in good position to do so through the draft this year.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
i love what crabs has done and all, but we need a true #1 wr. A Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, etc... etc....
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
i love what crabs has done and all, but we need a true #1 wr. A Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, etc... etc....

How is Crabtree any less of a #1 WR than those guys? Jones isn't even the #1 WR on his own team.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 4, 2013 at 9:27 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

How is Crabtree any less of a #1 WR than those guys? Jones isn't even the #1 WR on his own team.
i have to agree with phoenix. he has been more of a number one than alot of alleged number ones in the nfl. he put up elite numbers and showed up big in games at key times. he did not pad his stats in garbage time. i am sold on him being a number one. mario is a solid two. our problem is a solid 3. moss did a respectable job for us this year and of course he is now our number two guy. even if moss and kyle come back next year, we need another wide out. I am leaving jenkins out of this conversation cuz I am expecting nothing from him. That way if he does produce he will be a pleasant surprise to me

• cciowa
  • Veteran
maybe polarizing is a better term? alex and walker are the two most polarizing figures on the team I think
Originally posted by cciowa:
maybe polarizing is a better term? alex and walker are the two most polarizing figures on the team I think

Alex is polarizing, people either like or dislike him. I don't know that Delanie is. I don't DISLIKE him, I appreciate that he works his ass of and has done well, especially for a 6th round pick, what gets on my nerves is when people act like they did last year "oh, the 49ers have got two VERY GOOD TE's that can start on any team in the league."

He's a solid player that leaves much to be desired.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Too easy? Rogers, Staley, more over rated than Walker? Staley and Rogers start every game at a much more taxing position than #2 TE. I think its ridiculous that you even listed them. I'll give you Davis. Davis has been a complete non factor recently outside of blocking. Anything thrown to Davis has to be dropped in the old bread basket or forget it. He couldn't catch crabs from $10 hooker. Glad we paid him a qb's salary! Also, wanted to point out that all of this Walker is a good blocker BS is just that. Complete BS! Yes he's improved but he's still a terrible blocker. He may have improved to the point of being average but that might be pushing it.

I'm not saying they are bad players, just overrated imo.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Irish40Niner:
Originally posted by NinerG94:

I'm not saying they are bad players, just overrated imo.
irish is right on in regards to staley in my opinion
walker isnt overrated, who said he was something special.. i think mostly when people talk about him it is in the same sentence as vernon davis and how they are a good tandem to have, but walker has shown a little more this year in receiving i think, so whos over rated..clearly not delanie walker
Share 49ersWebzone