LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 196 users in the forums

No , Harbaugh Did NOT Have 'Almost The Same' Players As Singletary

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jsaniner:
Originally posted by kodiak9er:
i do follow baseball, and hockey, and basketball, and soccer......the defense was already top 10 in the nfl last couple of years, and that was with manusky not fangio, and all but 3 starters and one situational player that you mention, were on this team already. singletary was a s**t coach, theres nothing to argue, 90% of the team was here when he was, the core of this team was on the roster with nolan. and in one year we improved by 7 wins. whatever dude, im sorry youre right. i think what you need to understand is that yes those FEW players brought in were upgrades from what we had before.....but the big thing is that the MAJORITY of the players that were already on this team played better than they had in their entire careers. its ignorant to say this is not the same team, it virtually is, look at the roster online lol its not hard..........7 1/2 players were already on the team, 3 1/2 were brought in(half being parys and aldon), on offense, 8 1/2 players already on the team, 2 1/2 brought in(edwards is the lost half, and the half gained after he left). its jst adding and subtracting lol this forum cracks me up

i do follow baseball, and hockey, and basketball, and soccer......the defense was already top 10 in the nfl last couple of years, and that was with manusky not fangio, and all but 3 starters and one situational player that you mention, were on this team already. singletary was a s**t coach, theres nothing to argue, 90% of the team was here when he was, the core of this team was on the roster with nolan. and in one year we improved by 7 wins. whatever dude, im sorry youre right. i think what you need to understand is that yes those FEW players brought in were upgrades from what we had before.....but the big thing is that the MAJORITY of the players that were already on this team played better than they had in their entire careers. its ignorant to say this is not the same team, it virtually is, look at the roster online lol its not hard..........7 1/2 players were already on the team, 3 1/2 were brought in(half being parys and aldon), on offense, 8 1/2 players already on the team, 2 1/2 brought in(edwards is the lost half, and the half gained after he left). its jst adding and subtracting lol this forum cracks me up

First of all I didn't say this is the same entire team. In my clarifying post I conceded this applied only to the defense. Looking just at that, and removing the new starters in 2011 that were also on the 2010 team, you are left with the new 2011 acquitions. I'm saying without them - if you still had Clements at cornerback and Mays at strong safety and 'who knows' at nickel back and 'who knows' as a situational pass rusher, then the defense would not have achieved what it did. It would have been better than 2010, but not as good as it was with the 2011 free agent and draft additions. The combination of a pass rusher like Aldon Smith and a shut down corner like Rogers and a strong safety like Whitner and a nickel back like Culliver was a huge factor in shutting down the opponents passing game. And I still maintain the story of the defense makeover - starters who were carryovers from 2010 AND new acquisitions - is underreported.

hmmm, i do have to agree with you there. clements was ok but rogers, this year at least, was way better than clements ever was for us. and whitner at safety over mays (even though i liked his athletic ability), well there is no point in even comparing the two lol. spencer probably would have been the nickel back if it weren't for culliver on the outside and rogers moving in, so yes that is an upgrade cuz spencer is garbage. i guess i misunderstood what you were trying to say. imo, the majority of the players that were starters this year were already on the team. harbaugh and fangio just knew what they were doing using the correct players for the system, and starting the players that were better and more talented unlike previous couching regimes. thats why i agree with the column, most of this team had already been here and played above any level they ever had this year under competent coaching. nolan and mclueless couldnt do it, singletary and mclueless couldnt do it, but harbaugh and trent did. youre right, without those upgrades this d would have still been great, but prolly not as amazing as they were
Originally posted by jsaniner:
Originally posted by English:
And maybe you should start accepting that other people are allowed their own opinions.

And the bulk of the team were already on the roster. Draft picks obviously excluded.

Sorry about the baseball crack, that was out of line. You say draft picks excluded. You left out free agents. That's my point, that the free agents AND draft picks (not on last year's team) significantly increased the talent level of the 2011 defense.

Thank you for the apology.

Yes, we did some FA work, but it wasn't an unusual level of activity and it wasnt big name/big price stuff. Mainly, what Harbaugh did, he did with the assets available to Sing. Mainly. And Sing had shown no sign of utilising that properly. Even with the draftees and those FA signings, Sing struggles to get to 8-8.
I agree with the OP. Baalke and Harbaugh make a good duo.
Share 49ersWebzone