LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

No , Harbaugh Did NOT Have 'Almost The Same' Players As Singletary

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think you are making Lowell's argument for him.......

Just because players moved around to different positions or became full time starters under Harbaugh is a bigger slam on Singletary. He couldn't recognize the talent.

The only new players we picked up on Defense were Whitner and Rogers. I agree they were upgrades, but they didn't explain the 7 win difference.

The players that moved positons were Soap to NT.....he played better than Franklin who we had to sign a one year tender.

Made full time starters were Bowman, Brooks, Ray McDonald..........WHY WEREN'T THEY STARTERS BEFORE? (I don't think Bowman was ready in his Rookie year, but they werent afraid to let spikes go.)

Singletary also "FORCED" Baalke to draft Taylor Mays!

The offense was essentially the same players except opposing teams WERENT CALLING OUT OUR PLAYS before the snap. Singletary also couldnt commit to a QB and couldn't coach the QB because he didn't know what he was doing and couldn't coach a QB and didn't think the QB was any harder than any position on the team.

I agree Baalke upgraded the team with his moves, but we were a better team than 6-10. But Singletary also couldn't get the coaches for his system because he was a dinosaur.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
The bend but don't break philosophy was thrown out the window this year.

Actually, bend-but-don't-break is exactly what our defense did all year. They allowed the ball to be moved on them through the air - they just didn't allow teams to score. That's what bend-but-don't-break is. The bending part is allowing passing yardage (or rushing yardage, but we didn't allow any of that sh*t) and the don't break part is not allowing the TD.

I disagree. We were ranked 4th in total defense, 2nd in points allowed, and 1st against the run by a large margin. We gave up passing yards because teams had no other choice but to pass. No way they were running on this D. Opposing QB's had a QB rating of 73.6 (5th in NFL). Bend but don't break is what Indy had for many years with their Tampa 2. Give up a lot of yards but limit points scored. Teams did not gain many yards on us nor did they score many points. This is not a bend but don't break defense.
I think Harbro could've turned Mays into a badass.
Stop sticking up for SingleBrainCell. He would be 4 - 12 with this team. This guy started Chilo Freakin Rachal over Snyder for years. Not just 1 game or 1 season. For years. Shows you how smart he is.....
Hate to agree with Lowell, but the bulk of the team was in place. The fact that Sing didn't know where to play them or how is his problem.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
I think you are making Lowell's argument for him.......

Just because players moved around to different positions or became full time starters under Harbaugh is a bigger slam on Singletary. He couldn't recognize the talent.

The only new players we picked up on Defense were Whitner and Rogers. I agree they were upgrades, but they didn't explain the 7 win difference.

The players that moved positons were Soap to NT.....he played better than Franklin who we had to sign a one year tender.

Made full time starters were Bowman, Brooks, Ray McDonald..........WHY WEREN'T THEY STARTERS BEFORE? (I don't think Bowman was ready in his Rookie year, but they werent afraid to let spikes go.)

Singletary also "FORCED" Baalke to draft Taylor Mays!

The offense was essentially the same players except opposing teams WERENT CALLING OUT OUR PLAYS before the snap. Singletary also couldnt commit to a QB and couldn't coach the QB because he didn't know what he was doing and couldn't coach a QB and didn't think the QB was any harder than any position on the team.

I agree Baalke upgraded the team with his moves, but we were a better team than 6-10. But Singletary also couldn't get the coaches for his system because he was a dinosaur.

People also forget that Harbaugh only had a few weeks to implement his system with the shortened mini-camp while every other team in our division had pretty much the same coaching staff and same system already in place.
Baalke did so well in free agency that we added 7 important starters in free agency. I think he changes strategy this year resigns core players and adds 2 big contracts in FA. WR and Mario Williams. Williams will be groomed to replace Smith eventually. I like Welker at WR. Most people will say Welker will never leave NE. Who would have thought rice would have worn black and silver?
While I'd agree Harbaugh and Baalke look every bit to be a terrific combo, the GM acquires/fires the players the head coach wants. Any GM who acts independently from the head coach won't be around very long. That takes nothing away from Baalke...he's done a fine job. But, it was Harbaugh who called the shots on who played where, as it should be. Lack of harmony between the GM and head coach is precisely why a team like Dallas, with all the talent they have, continues to struggle. Jerry Jones fashions himself to be owner and GM, and it just doesn't work. Al Davis tried to do the same thing...but he continued to make too many mistakes with draft picks, and in his daily control of the team. We're very fortunate to have a GM and head coach who work so well together. Green Bay has it, too, as well as other teams around the league. It's kind of a new thing in Ninerland, as it hasn't been that way for too many years. We can all truly look forward to next season...because Harbaugh and Baalke are an excellent team.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Stop sticking up for SingleBrainCell. He would be 4 - 12 with this team. This guy started Chilo Freakin Rachal over Snyder for years. Not just 1 game or 1 season. For years. Shows you how smart he is.....

this

dude was a brainless tard
LOL @ comparing "Same Players" to different D "Starters".
This POST Fails.

Originally posted by brhokla:
It was an excellent season and that's all that matters. Forget what Nolan and Sing did. That's finally all over and we can move onto some winning football that's been long deserved.

I agree, lets move on. Mike said he wanted winners and he had them all along, he just didn't know how to coach them. Jim does, end of story.
Sing was more of a drill Sgt and preacher, his tough love and inspired speeches could only get so far

Looks like the positive environment that was created by harbaugh paid off in a big way, plus more attention was paid to assignments and matchups and our defense learned to play like a unit this season, Sing should get some credit for helping build up the players that had a great season this year.

I'm confident Baalker and Harbaugh will add some nice pieces for the defense next season
This makes no sense. When did gm's start promoting guys to the starting line up's? If that's the case then why didn't he do that a year before? I think it with a grain of salt when folks say he's winning with the exact same team. We all know Rogers, Whitner, and Al. Smith made a difference. But for the most part is is the same exact team. This guy is trying to hard to be different with this article.
Just because a guy goes out and buys a .458 Winchester Magnum elephant gun doesn't mean he knows how to use it, and more to the point, doesn't know how to track and kill an elephant. Same goes for football players. Sure, noln or BM( bigmike) could go out and draft a player, but that has nothing to do with:

-does he know how to develop that talent
-once developed, does he know how to use that talent.

so w/r/to acquisition of players prior to Coach Harbaugh's arrival, Cohn had his point. Picking players high in the draft, however, is no where near as hard as developing those players, and once developed, how to utilize them . I think all would agree, 49ers would have looked pretty good to a top notch coach (albeit from college ranks), who saw the talent available, but also recognized the incredible failure in a) how to develop and b) use them. It is the real art of coaching that comes from the last two. Ending up with the 1st to 6th pick in the draft every yr, and picking some good talent, doesn't take a genius, but we sure could have done better over the yrs with some of the early picks we got. It is what you do with those guys, and where to play them is just as important in developing them.

JH got his picks this yr, but he really did the job on making a well oiled machine out of what was already here...in essence a scrap pile of high picks with either no development, inability of knowing how to use them, or both. THAT is the difference between Coach H and his predecesors.
Article is a waste. It would not have mattered if we had all allstars. 49ers still would have under achieved with Sing. I think he did a great job getting Vernon Davis straight though.
Share 49ersWebzone