LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 202 users in the forums

Kaepernick believes he can seriously challenge for starting job this year

Shop Find 49ers gear online
To the point of the thread - can CK compete or win the job? He's going to have to wow the coaches with his DECISION MAKING first, and play making second. The 49ers are built with a defense and coaching style that emphasizes sound minimizing turnovers.

BUT, we can be sure that coaching (and ownership) saw the limitations of the above strategy. Also, despite perceptions, the 49ers showed significant weaknesses playing that strategy -- their running game was NOT that dominant, and the defense was vulnerable to the big play.

IMHO the strategy is going to evolve to a more aggressive offense in 2012 with emphasis an upgrade on receiving threats and OL pass protection. So pertaining to CK versus AS, the guy that shows he can execute a more aggressive game plan while still exhibiting exceptional decision making discipline will win the coaches trust and starting job.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Alex's agent is Tom Condon, known as the best agent in the NFL. He will be staring at Ryan Fitzpatrick's massive contract, six years, $59 million, and ask for similar numbers. I think, in the end, the Niners will agree to a 5 year, $50 million dollar deal. It will be very clear at this point that CK is going to ride pine for some time, years rather than days.

Fitzpatrick might never see that money after the way he s**t the bed this season. Buffalo can get out of the deal if they want and it would cost them nothing although reports about Fitzpatrick playing with cracked ribs have come to light recently.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 8, 2012 at 1:03 PM ]
Originally posted by Redgoldknight:
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
Bad examples, He didn't win the starting QB position in 06? not only that I don't believe we count the years under Singefartcell, And in the giants game how many receivers did he miss that game? Cossel said he missed 3, I think after dropping back to throw more than 30+ times and missing 3 targets isn't the end of the world, every QB misses his WR's from time to time. I think you are over analyzing things a bit, Alex is a competitor but he doesnt have the Brett Favre intence competitive nature, which I abosulty happy with, I dont want a QB like that and would rather Alex keep playing like the silent assasin he is.

Haha silent assasin don't make me laugh! Both Mannings, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, A. Rodgers. If you watched the playoffs this year these QB's played like assiasans. Out side of Alex game winning pass. No sir! Haven't seen it all season, hope to see it next season but I doubt it I'm not counting on it partner. I respect your opinion but do not agree. I really think you should actually play attenttion to how evasive he is as a passer
note i said silent, why do people always have to compare Alex to other QB's? Alex will never be eltie and nor did I ever say that. Get a life people.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Joecool:
What Harbaugh thinks about Kaep or Tolzien will be determined by what we agree or don't agree to sign Alex for. $10 mil a year for a QB who was efficient for only one year and didn't do anything necessarily jaw-dropping is a little high.

In BUF case, Fitzpatrick was the guy they were grooming and hitching their wagon to. Alex Smith isn't that guy for us.

i think this year we sign him to a "short tem deal" consisteing of 2-3 years at about 8-9 mill a year

then at the end of this year or next year ( 1 year before contract runs out) we extend him to a long term deal if he performs/ improves

I think 2-3 year deal at around 6 or 7 million with a guarantee extension if he hits incentives is more reasonable. We drafted a guy Harbaugh highly covets and obviously wants to develop into a starter. No need to put ourselves into a situation where we are committed to Alex with Kaep's contract running out and he's ready to play...unless Alex starts to light the league up.
It's good he's got that fire...realistically, I don't see him winning the starting job from Alex. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Harbagh acquire a vet b/u...we were lucky Alex stayed healthy all year. Ideally, you'd like an experienced b/u behind the starter, not throw a rookie in there.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
It's good he's got that fire...realistically, I don't see him winning the starting job from Alex. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Harbagh acquire a vet b/u...we were lucky Alex stayed healthy all year. Ideally, you'd like an experienced b/u behind the starter, not throw a rookie in there.

It would be unlikely if Alex made it through an entire season again unscathed. With a full season and offseason, Kaep should be able to come in and at least provide enough of a change-up that he can be successful. I expect to see more of Kaep going forward, but I doubt he will unseat Alex until Alex gets injured, which is bound to happen sometime.
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
note i said silent, why do people always have to compare Alex to other QB's? Alex will never be eltie and nor did I ever say that. Get a life people.

You get the hell off this website and get a life! Were all trying to be 49ers fans who get along and talk about our team. And you come on here dissing us telling us to get a life. Obviously were checking yourself in the mirror when you say that. I was polite and real cool of your opinions and respected them just as everyone else did with you. Now your talking this Rosseane jibber jabber. If you want to talk who-Ra and talk down to us 49ers fans on webzone go join the NY Giants forums.
He has a shot hea got all the tools. We have no idea how he will progress. Lol @ everyone saying its being the realm of possibility
Definitely don't want him to start next season, I'd like for him to get another full offseason with lots of playing time in the preseason, and hold the clipboard for the 2012 season. By 2013, I think that's the time to highly start considering him, especially considering how Alex performs next season. I would like to see Alex Maintain a 2:1 pass/interception ratio, but with more TDs next season.

As for Kaep, another offseason with Jim coaching him up and sitting behind Alex, he'll only benefit and sky rocket his potential from there. I want him coming in Aaron Rodgers esque.

EDIT: I love his energy though. He wants to play. I friggin' love it. Keep that fire Kaep, you'll be our QB soon enough!
[ Edited by ElDannMann on Feb 8, 2012 at 5:15 PM ]
you want him to say that--you don't want a player excited to be the backup!

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Joecool:
What Harbaugh thinks about Kaep or Tolzien will be determined by what we agree or don't agree to sign Alex for. $10 mil a year for a QB who was efficient for only one year and didn't do anything necessarily jaw-dropping is a little high.

In BUF case, Fitzpatrick was the guy they were grooming and hitching their wagon to. Alex Smith isn't that guy for us.

How do you know that we aren't hitching our wagon to Smith? I think we are, regardless of the second round burned last year. That is why I advocated bypassing a QB in the early rounds. Now, we will have used a high draftee that rides pine for the next four to five years.

Your opinions are based on what you view as a wasted 2nd rounder last season, despite several other picks you disliked working out.

As it its biased to begin with your opinion is invalrod.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Your opinions are based on what you view as a wasted 2nd rounder last season, despite several other picks you disliked working out.

As it its biased to begin with your opinion is invalrod.

@maddogaaron rodgers sat out for multiple years it only helped him
  • dj43
Originally posted by Redgoldknight:
Originally posted by dj43:
One thing that is overlooked about Alex Smith is his intense competitive nature. Despite how badly he had been treated here, he came back to prove everyone wrong about him. His work ethic and intelligence is as high, or higher than anyone on the team. He will NOT be outworked by CK or anyone else on the team. Kaep will have to prove he is one heck of a QB to move ahead of Smith. If Kaep is learning more about the system this offseason and how it works, we can be sure Smith is not sitting on his laurels either. It will be a heck of a competition but my money is on Alex Smith both short and long term. The guy has shown more fire and guts than just about any body around.

Hey partner, I'm not replying to argue with you were both apart of Niner nation ands we both want the 49ers to be Super Bowl Champs. But I am going to question you and state some axiom's if I may. Alex Smith has a competitive nature to win the starting job. But he lacks intense competitive nature when it comes to winning the game at all costs. He still exudes way to much timidity when it comes to squeezing the ball in tight holes. And as an all-time great QB by the name of Steve Young said pertaining to Alex Smith. "At the NFL level there are no open receivers". As many NFL experts and analasysts went back and watched the game vs the Giants. They all saw to many receivers that Alex Smith did not pull the trigger on. To win the game and put it out of reach. He plays his heart out when we are losing (which is good). But once we have a lead or the game is tied he tends to clothe himself in ultra conservative mode. Another thing is this is the first time in Alex 7year career that he won the starting job in trainning camp. And it happened to be against 2 rookie's .

You are dead wrong about his nature to win at all costs. DEAD WRONG. He proved that by being willing to set aside his gunslinger mentality at Utah to come back under multiple OCs with varying approaches, and finally come to full agreement with Harbaugh that the BEST way to win given the limitations of the team this past season (lock out, injuries, etc) was to play it very conservatively.

One thing we SHOULD all be certain of was that Alex Smith wanted in the worst way to prove all his doubters wrong. In order to do that he would have to complete a lot of important passes in critical situations, and that meant throwing a lot. No other way would convince the fantasy football-minded fans who judge the effectiveness of a QB on his yardage and TDs that he was the real deal. Therefore, for Smith to set aside his own personal goals in favor of a strategy that would help the TEAM win, he displayed a desire to win that many other players would not have chosen.

Having said that, let us not forget that he made some very big-time throws to Delanie Walker, Michael Crabtree and Vernon Davis that brought big-time wins to the team. He DID make tight window throws as the season progressed but never did he waiver in his commitment to Harbaugh to play in such a way as to win football games. The throw to VD in particular was thrown at a time that fully met Steve Young's definition. As 49er broadcaster Ted Robinson said, "no one should ever doubt Alex Smith again." He DID display a huge competitive fire both in sacrificing his own goals for the team goals and in also making critical throws to win games that were otherwise hanging in the balance.

A quarterback that wants BADLY to win will follow the game plan presented by the coaches. Alex did that very well and put the team within one blown fumble call of the Super Bowl...unless you think he should have played like Jeff George.
[ Edited by dj43 on Feb 9, 2012 at 9:49 AM ]
You are dead wrong about his nature to win at all costs. DEAD WRONG. He proved that by being willing to set aside his gunslinger mentality at Utah to come back under multiple OCs with varying approaches, and finally come to full agreement with Harbaugh that the BEST way to win given the limitations of the team this past season (lock out, injuries, etc) was to play it very conservatively.

One thing we SHOULD all be certain of was that Alex Smith wanted in the worst way to prove all his doubters wrong. In order to do that he would have to complete a lot of important passes in critical situations, and that meant throwing a lot. No other way would convince the fantasy football-minded fans who judge the effectiveness of a QB on his yardage and TDs that he was the read deal. Therefore, for Smith to set aside his own personal goals in favor of a strategy that would help the TEAM win, he displayed a desire to win that many other players would not have chosen.

Having said that, let us not forget that he made some very big-time throws to Delanie Walker, Michael Crabtree and Vernon Davis that brought big-time wins to the team. He DID make tight window throws as the season progressed but never did he waiver in his commitment to Harbaugh to play is such a way as to win football games. The throw to VD in particular was thrown at a time the fully met Steve Young's definition. As 49er broadcaster Ted Robinson said, "no one should ever doubt Alex Smith again." He DID display a huge competitive fire both in sacrificing his own goals for the team goals but in also making critical throws to win games that were otherwise hanging in the balance.

A quarterback that wants BADLY to win will follow the game plan presented by the coaches. Alex did that very well and put the team within one blown fumble call of the Super Bowl...unless you think he should have played like Jeff George.

This is who Alex Smith is in regard to playing within the team concept. Good post
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

One thing we SHOULD all be certain of was that Alex Smith wanted in the worst way to prove all his doubters wrong. In order to do that he would have to complete a lot of important passes in critical situations, and that meant throwing a lot. No other way would convince the fantasy football-minded fans who judge the effectiveness of a QB on his yardage and TDs that he was the read deal. Therefore, for Smith to set aside his own personal goals in favor of a strategy that would help the TEAM win, he displayed a desire to win that many other players would not have chosen.

Having said that, let us not forget that he made some very big-time throws to Delanie Walker, Michael Crabtree and Vernon Davis that brought big-time wins to the team. He DID make tight window throws as the season progressed but never did he waiver in his commitment to Harbaugh to play is such a way as to win football games. The throw to VD in particular was thrown at a time the fully met Steve Young's definition. As 49er broadcaster Ted Robinson said, "no one should ever doubt Alex Smith again." He DID display a huge competitive fire both in sacrificing his own goals for the team goals but in also making critical throws to win games that were otherwise hanging in the balance.

good post dj as usual. Alex haters have selective memory. they only remember what they want to and will go out of thier way to dilute any contribution alex had to this season. usually the bottom line is wins but within the alex witchhunt camps, the bottom line is how not to give credit to alex.They reach pretty far for it but i have to give them credit, they are consistent
Share 49ersWebzone