There are 148 users in the forums

What's Worse: Kyle Williams '12 NFCC Fumble(s) or Roger Craigs in '90

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What's Worse: Kyle Williams '12 NFCC Fumble(s) or Roger Craigs in '90

Originally posted by ninertico:
In sheer magnitude, nothing compares to the Craig fumble given the weight of the situation. C'mon guys, that was for a "Three Peat", remember? This year, we weren't even given our due, we weren't supposed to be there so it's all gravy.

Again, it's POV, but Craig's fumble for what it meant at the time, wins hands down!

We wanted the Superbowl this year.

In 1990 the world EXPECTED us to win it
Craig's fumble shattered what could have been an all-time (ALL-TIME!) first of a three-peat. It has never been done before and we were in the verge of a historic feat.

Kyle Williams' fumble doesn't even compare to Craig's fumble. Everyone is voting for Kyle's fumble because that's still fresh on everyone's mind, or perhaps the voters don't even remember the Craig fumble.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Craig's fumble shattered what could have been an all-time (ALL-TIME!) first of a three-peat. It has never been done before and we were in the verge of a historic feat.

Kyle Williams' fumble doesn't even compare to Craig's fumble. Everyone is voting for Kyle's fumble because that's still fresh on everyone's mind, or perhaps the voters don't even remember the Craig fumble.

high motherfocken 5. kill these nonsense
Originally posted by susweel:
Both against the Giants.

Haha, this certainly adds to the vitriol. So two losses to the Giants in NFCC games, in the same manner. But if history holds correct, our next playoff meeting will be a blowout of epic proportions!!

The Craig fumble was truly horrible and I cried when Bahr put the ball through the uprights (and just watching it again recently, man was it closer than I remembered). I was also 11 years old, so that had a lot to do with it. Certainly hurt though, even with 2 superbowls back to back.

Like others have said, maybe we should look at our perfect superbowl record in another perspective.....that we are undefeated for a reason. The Giants beat the 49ers in the '90 NFCC game because of their defensive gameplan and our lack of running game. That Belichick superbowl game plan was a thing of genius, and to think that a Montana-less led 49ers would have beaten the Bills for sure is a bit naive and homer like in my opinion. The Giants won that game because they had something crazy like 45 minutes time of possession, which they accomplished through a lot of running the ball and letting the Bills move the ball at will but no long pass plays (and beating up the receivers as well). They intentionally allowed Thurman Thomas to rush for over 100 yards to accomplish this.

They did win on luck with the missed field goal, but even assuming they make it only gave up 22 points the entire game (20 really as 2 came from a safety). I'm gonna assume that even though we had a good D, we'd probably try to shoot it out with them and I'm not sure how that would have went. Look at the '92 Bills matchup that we lost at Candlestick in the no punt game with a much more seasoned Steve Young, and an arguably worse Buffalo team.

LOL at thinking it was an automatic blowout like the Charger superbowl.

I think we'll have to wait and see what happens with this superbowl. Looks like the Giants are the better team but if the Patriots pull out a win (especially a surprising big or decisive win), then it will probably make the whole KW drama sting a lot less. Like someone else mentioned about the beating the '83 Redskins took against the Raiders.

I think we really need a big Patriots win to make Niner nation feel better.

I feel we would have had a good shot at the Patriots, but let's revisit this thread in a few days...
terrible tread! YEAH lets compare some of the worst moments in 9er history
kw is my #1 most hated! and always will be!
Craig's was worse bc we would of beat buff for sur. with Williams we may of lost to new england. Done
So Craig was arguably THE major reason we got a chance at a three peat....

Flash forward decades and this team hasn't sniffed the playoffs AFTER CRAIG WAS GONE....

We get one shot with some muffed punts blowing it and....

You think Craig is worse??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok we did have Young in the 90's, and that was it.

Craig era....BOWLS

You owe him.

Or they weren't alive so therefore shouldn't even comment on it.

• Jcool
  • Veteran

Kyle's fumbles put them in scoring range and the last one the defense had no chance because all they needed was a field goal. The Craig fumble was bad but the defense gave up two plays over 10 yards to put them in field goal range. Also you had the fake punt that led to a field goal to make it 13-12 and if we stopped that the game is probably over. Kyle's fumbles directly lead to the loss. Rogers Craig's fumble was bad but the defense had a chance to stop them and they couldn't.
i'd have to rate the Craig fumble # 1--the Niners were trying to 3 peat--we still had all the great players---the Montana injury makes it a little closer--could we have beaten Buffalo with Steve Young? It would have been close I think. The Williams fumbles--the player himself screwed up more--3 screwups in one game--one the dive that could have been a disaster--the other not even knowing the ball hit his knee? then the fumble. This Niner team could beat the Pats--so it is really sad---both games .
Ok so remove Craig from the 49ers.

He doesn't exist.

How many Superbowls do you clowns who have no idea of what you're talking about actually have ?

We wouldn't have been close. That era was the best in history, with Marino's Dolphins, Taylor's Giants, Emmit's Cowboys, and SO MANY OTHERS.

All of a sudden this third string receiver muffs two punts after the Niners have been nowhere in a decade and are close, and Craig did a worse job for us?!

Yup. Glad you don't work in my company. I would fire you.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Kyle's fumbles put them in scoring range and the last one the defense had no chance because all they needed was a field goal. The Craig fumble was bad but the defense gave up two plays over 10 yards to put them in field goal range. Also you had the fake punt that led to a field goal to make it 13-12 and if we stopped that the game is probably over. Kyle's fumbles directly lead to the loss. Rogers Craig's fumble was bad but the defense had a chance to stop them and they couldn't.

But the first one by Williams our defense should have been able to keep them out of the endzone.
Originally posted by Jcool:

The Niners offense was 1-13 on 3rd down and had a whole bunch of 3 and outs before Williams fumbled in OT

Craig just had to run the clock out
Share 49ersWebzone