LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 276 users in the forums

Crabtree: more overrated than lazy, or more lazy than overrated?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Crabtree: more overrated than lazy, or more lazy than overrated?

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Hey, I was excited when we signed him, but was really hacked off when he held out half a yr, then didn't bother to learn playbook for 2nd half. Seems like a guy who thot he could get by on talent alone, and gave short shrift to running crisp routes, running comebackers when Qb was in trouble, and didn't seem as interested in team as the other 51 guys. Loved his circus catches, and I hope other teams focus on those, as craps just seems like a guy who isn't thrilled about being here, and would love to be somewhere else.

Problem for him is, in pros, you HAVE TO run crisp routes, you HAVE TO work to get open, you have to come back to QB if he is in trouble, and you have to have a team mentality. When craps gets over the above i'd love to see him play for us, but frankly, he is one of the few guys on the squad who just doesn't seem to be the team player you need to have, esp. for your #1 WR. Yes, he makes #1 money, but my bet is he gets traded, in that we can't afford paying a #1 playing like a #4 or #5 WR. I didn't see any appreciable improvement in him this yr, in spite of a team that improved mightily.

Load him up with our first pick(#30) , or our 2nd and see if we can get a true #1 WR. Nobody will defend him as playing as #1 this yr. He has been a huge disappointment, and with his holdout history, disappearance at end of season (3 incomplete passes in Saints game, and they all hit him between the 1 and 5), and then 1 catch for 3 yrds in NFC title game....well, that pretty well caps it for me. I wish craps good luck elsewhere where he can thrive. Here he is probably only guy on team (who except for a handful of midseason games filled with circus catches), showed no improvement, and just looks like he isn't all that happy here.

The guy has the best coach in the nfl and it didn't apparently "take" on him. Adios, muchacho. I just hope we can get equal value for him....Williams at steelers comes to mind.
What were you hoping to get from him this year? Stats wise, or what expectation isn't he meeting? Why would we trade a productive wr.
The Niners threw very little last season. Crab was hurt and was still able to get almost 1000 yards. The guy is a good receiver. He just needs to get more consistent with some things.

He is limited because he lacks great speed and he is not really big either. What that says to me is that he is a prototypical #2 receiver with upside to become a good #1 if he keeps getting better. He can't change the physical aspect of his game, so he really needs to improve the mental, and chemistry aspects.

I don't understand all the hate for the guy to be honest. He made big blocks, and some big catches for us, and is still young. If the Niners really want to open up the offene they need a matchup problem on the outside. It is as plain as that. Get one of those, and Crabtree will find himself open much more.
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
The Niners threw very little last season. Crab was hurt and was still able to get almost 1000 yards. The guy is a good receiver. He just needs to get more consistent with some things.

He is limited because he lacks great speed and he is not really big either. What that says to me is that he is a prototypical #2 receiver with upside to become a good #1 if he keeps getting better. He can't change the physical aspect of his game, so he really needs to improve the mental, and chemistry aspects.

I don't understand all the hate for the guy to be honest. He made big blocks, and some big catches for us, and is still young. If the Niners really want to open up the offene they need a matchup problem on the outside. It is as plain as that. Get one of those, and Crabtree will find himself open much more.
Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. People just want someone to hate. They hate that he missed practice time yet he plays hurt during the season. He produced 872 yards this year on 15 games and played hurt most of the year. His stats in have gone up every year and thats with the same revolving door of offensive coordinators as Alex. If you want him to catch 1200 yards and 90 catches than that means Alex will have to throw for 3500 to 3800 yards. Alex only threw a little over 3000. Crabs and VD make up 50% of the passing offense. Just go get someone else to help the offensive passing attack out.

Great post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crabs will be a very good receiver for us next year and get into the top 10. And he's not super big but he's not that small either. He plays very aggressive and has long arms. Check out the list of Free Agent receivers and tell me how many of them are taller than 6'2". Won't find many. People are delusional if they think Crabtree does not have the talent of a #1.

Dude got 600 yards his rookie year when he didn't even know the playbook and didn't practice with the team.

He got 700 his 2nd year when he went through another injury (neck) which stalled his progress of hitting the regular season sprinting.

He then got 900 his 3rd year after injuring his foot and another slow start to the season.

All this while not being targeted as much as other guys we covet who are barely getting 1000 or 1100 yds.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Crabs will be a very good receiver for us next year and get into the top 10. And he's not super big but he's not that small either. He plays very aggressive and has long arms. Check out the list of Free Agent receivers and tell me how many of them are taller than 6'2". Won't find many. People are delusional if they think Crabtree does not have the talent of a #1.

Dude got 600 yards his rookie year when he didn't even know the playbook and didn't practice with the team.

He got 700 his 2nd year when he went through another injury (neck) which stalled his progress of hitting the regular season sprinting.

He then got 900 his 3rd year after injuring his foot and another slow start to the season.

All this while not being targeted as much as other guys we covet who are barely getting 1000 or 1100 yds.

I have more of a problem with him being such a crybaby.
Originally posted by YOUNGster08:

I have more of a problem with him being such a crybaby.

And that's not a problem. Vernon's had his share of crybaby. So did Bryant when he was here. I think I want a receiver who is willing to try and back up his talk. Crabs just needs our QB to throw the damn ball to him a little more. Can't make great catches if the ball is only thrown to you when you are wide open or not even then.

Yes, he had one bad game...wow...how many bad games has Alex had? Doesn't make him suck.
Jackle, what I would expect from a guy who has been here for a couple seasons, is just what I mentioned above. Run crisp routes. Put in fake in every route, maybe 2 in others. Keep an eye on Qb. If in trouble, run a comeback. In tense games, saints and NYG, one would expect the #1 WR to become a playmaker...work harder to get open. Disappearing at end of season and playoffs is not what you want to see from anybody, WR , OG, DB or waterboy. Be an enthusiastic member of the team. Some call it crybaby, to me it is just lack of wanting to excel, wanting to do anything to help your team win...esp when the chips are down. #1 WR on a team carries with it an expectation that you WILL make the plays, you will move the chains, you will make catches in RZ. In fact, #1WR needs to be a leader, a guy who MAKES his team be better. Make it look like he earns his money. I see craps play, i don't see any of those things. Since his holdout, I wondered if he really wanted to be here. I have seen nothing but a few games midseason when he made circus catches for maybe 3 games or so, and everyone went ga-ga over him. I enjoyed those catches too, and really hoped he had turned the corner. Well, he hadn't.

I'll say this. If Coach wants to keep craps, he better get inside his head. Because right now, he is part of a WR corps that doesn't move chains, doesn't score in RZ, and to me, anyway, just doesn't appear that he cares. If Coach can change that attitude great, but right now he looks like a #1 WR about to be traded for a guy who REALLY is a #1. Just an opinion, but i don't see the effort, nor the crisp routes, nor the separation, nor the fakes. Interesting to note that the only guy to leave our staff was a WR coach, and who knows, maybe a great WR coach, or Coach H himself is what craps needs to excel. But right now, it just looks like he is eating up our salary cap and putting out #4 or #5 effort...and that isn't what you want in a #1. If he stays, it should be for a salary cut of a #3, but that is generous . Another way of saying it, "he ain't worth the money"...and this game requires schidt canning guys that aren't holding their own.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Feb 14, 2012 at 3:21 PM ]
Poor fundamentals. Even JR said so on TV.

I think that he has the talent of a good #1, but not a great #1. If he is your #1 then you do probably need a fast guy and big guy to compliment him, though I agree that he is fairly solid in those areas. I could see him getting over 1000 yards next season if he can stay healthy. Even knowing that I would still like a Big, dependable option for Third downs that is not named Vernon. Vernon could be that over the top guy to some extent, but I think Smith will gun it in there more with somebody like Braylon (It seemed to me that he threw more tight throws to him early in the season) with a bigger body.

Vernon can do some of that, but for such a specimen if he has to break a tackle he struggles. I want a guy who can catch the ball with a man on him, and quickly spin to one side or the other to pick up the occasional first down. I really believe that Braylon was a really good fit if he wouldn't have been injured/a headcase. Hopefully we can pick somebody up with that same skillset, and Morgan comes back healthy. Crabs is going to be solid.
I am just a fan, a nobody to the ownership. But IF this were my team, and IF we decided to keep craps around, i would :

a) bring in a red hot WR coach to replace the one who left.

b) would work extra hard on roman to call dozens more quick outs and slants

c) would consider spending maybe $100K to have Jerry R take days ,maybe weeks, to teach craps what he never learned or forgot, and that is how to play WR.

Maybe give him a season, maybe not. But any real improvement at the position has to come in PS, and I just don't see him getting the playcalling and personal teaching necessary to make him the WR he should be. That is why i think we are going to try and peddle him to someone else with a #1 and contract problems, who will take our #1 and probably a second pick in draft. We have to have that #1 for this yr, and working with craps to become that guy is something that should have been achieved by last yr. We can't go all the way with a #1 playing like a #4 or 5. We have to have the down home, REAL #1. Hence, I think we part ways.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Feb 14, 2012 at 3:33 PM ]

I think that he has the talent of a good #1, but not a great #1. If he is your #1 then you do probably need a fast guy and big guy to compliment him, though I agree that he is fairly solid in those areas. I could see him getting over 1000 yards next season if he can stay healthy. Even knowing that I would still like a Big, dependable option for Third downs that is not named Vernon. Vernon could be that over the top guy to some extent, but I think Smith will gun it in there more with somebody like Braylon (It seemed to me that he threw more tight throws to him early in the season) with a bigger body.

Vernon can do some of that, but for such a specimen if he has to break a tackle he struggles. I want a guy who can catch the ball with a man on him, and quickly spin to one side or the other to pick up the occasional first down. I really believe that Braylon was a really good fit if he wouldn't have been injured/a headcase. Hopefully we can pick somebody up with that same skillset, and Morgan comes back healthy. Crabs is going to be solid.

100% agree. But with Vernon and the Draft...those great WR's every team covets will be too much $$ and there's not any Great WR's in f*gency. I just don't think a WR who's getting 1000 to 1100 yards right now will not be getting that in our offense.
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Okay I'm just being obnoxious now. I'll stop.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Both

Alex works 150% to get better during TC

Crabs takes his sick time during TC
He will be fishing with Rashaun Woods soon!
Share 49ersWebzone