LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

KNBR radio broadcast

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Eric Davis, COME ON MAN! learn when to control ur emotions/stfu

Agreed. The call was epic except for ED screaming/giggling like a schoolgirl. That part was embarrassing. Ted Robinson was in the zone, hurt voice and all.
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:

Agreed. The call was epic except for ED screaming/giggling like a schoolgirl. That part was embarrassing. Ted Robinson was in the zone, hurt voice and all.

I thought old people were in bed by now.
this might've been the first memorable Niners playoff radio playcall for you new generation of fans (those too young to remember the last Niner playoff game 9 years ago, or even the last memorable TD catch in 1998-99), so I'll cut you guys some slack as well since most will not be as familiar or remember the Starkey/Walker or Starkey/Plummer radio era....

Even though its different times, and its been a while, in future playoff games i hope Eric Davis knows it better to just let Ted so the solo call of a gamewinning TD
Originally posted by SportsFan:

uhhh....late 20's counts as old now? okay
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

Seriously. That call was one of the best in Niners history. Everything about it was epic.
Originally posted by okdkid:

Seriously. That call was one of the best in Niners history. Everything about it was epic.

This. Unbelievably stupid to hate on this.
Ted Robinson - A+ (he's grown on me, still miss Starkey)
Eric Davis - C- (edit out E.D.'s "he's got it!" and "whoohoos!" and that TD call is perfect)

he'll learn from this
The call on the TD pass to VD was great. Gives me chills. Love the emotion.
Excellent radio calling, as usual.

For those who have a problem with the "he got it!!!" outburst by the colour commentator, one of the most iconic radio calls in 49ers history is the first Rice TD in the 1988 NFC Championship game in Chicago. Just as Rice grabs the ball and sets off on his long run to the endzone, and a split second before the play-by-play announcer calls it ("they won't catch him"), the colour commentator says "He's gone!", with such a calm assurance at Jerry's greatness that makes the call just perfect.

The colour commentator is not just there to spout off platitudes when there's a break in the action, like so many of the horrible ones we have in England in our football (all of them ex-players and all barely literate, unlike your excellent American ex-players in both TV and radio). A good colour gives pulse to the broadcast, and Davis did this beautifully. As for partisanship, of course he's partisan. That's the beauty of radio commentary compared to TV which is "neutral" to the point of blandness.
[ Edited by paulk205 on Jan 14, 2012 at 10:43 PM ]

I hope you are joking...

a good color commentator knows when to step back and let the play-by-play guy make the call....strikes too much of homerism and upstages and ruins the playcall when your color guy telegraphs the successful play with "he's got it!" half a second before the TD catch and then whoops and hollers like that...all the memorable Niners radio soundbites from the past it was just Starkey...the past color commentators like Plummer and Wayne Walker knew it was better to be silent rather than have two guys yelling over each other which on second hearing sounds muddled and uprofessional.

but hey, this was the 1st Niners playoff win in nearly a decade so I'll cut Eric Davis some slack...this one time

too much homerism...

its the local broadcast. have you ever listened to other local broadcasts of other teams? there is always a color guy who is clearly a huge homer. that is not out of the ordinary at all.

cheers paulk205. The standards and expectations between american and british broadcasters are perhaps different, and even within the different regions of america, blatant partisanship/homerism of broadcastrs is more accepted in the midwest/south but more frowned on in the metropolitan coastal cities as unprofessional.

in my opinion, the SF Bay area has historically had a tradition of great objective and non-biased radio and TV sportscasters who maintain great professionalism in their calls.

This year was Eric Davis's first year as color commentator, so he's still learning, but next time I hope he knows to tactfully defer the moment to Ted Robinson.
Originally posted by paulk205:

For those who have a problem with the "he got it!!!" outburst by the colour commentator, one of the most iconic radio calls in 49ers history is the first Rice TD in the 1988 NFC Championship game in Chicago. Just as Rice grabs the ball and sets off on his long run to the endzone, and a split second before the play-by-play announcer calls it ("they won't catch him"), the colour commentator says "He's gone!", with such a calm assurance at Jerry's greatness that makes the call just perfect.

The colour commentator is not just there to spout off platitudes when there's a break in the action, like so many of the horrible ones we have in England in our football (all of them ex-players and all barely literate, unlike your excellent American ex-players in both TV and radio). A good colour gives pulse to the broadcast, and Davis did this beautifully. As for partisanship, of course he's partisan. That's the beauty of radio commentary compared to TV which is "neutral" to the point of blandness.

Nicely said.

Davis shows he's proud of being a former 49er and that he's still a huge 49er fan with his excitement. He's genuinely just as excited as all of us were on that last play. Bashing the man for his excited would be like bashing yourself for jumping for joy at that time. I, for one, was going crazy when it happened and it just shows me that Eric Davis was just as excited in that moment too and was still professional enough to talk about how he was thinking they should go to Vernon in that situation too.
Originally posted by MaliCali:
too much homerism...

its the local broadcast. have you ever listened to other local broadcasts of other teams? there is always a color guy who is clearly a huge homer. that is not out of the ordinary at all.

the homerism isn't my main gripe....it was ED's yelling over Ted R's call that stuck out like a sore thumb....like i've said, Eric Davis should learn from this
cheers paulk205. The standards and expectations between american and british broadcasters are perhaps different, and even within the different regions of america, blatant partisanship/homerism of broadcastrs is more accepted in the midwest/south but more frowned on in the metropolitan coastal cities as unprofessional.

in my opinion, the SF Bay area has historically had a tradition of great objective and non-biased radio and TV sportscasters who maintain great professionalism in their calls.

This year was Eric Davis's first year as color commentator, so he's still learning, but next time I hope he knows to tactfully defer the moment to Ted Robinson.

I guess me being from Indiana (midwest) and now living in TX (south) is why it's more accepted? I don't know if that's completely true. I just think it's more "to each their own". I loved Davis's part in the call, others might not care for how Davis acted.
Originally posted by paulk205:

Nobody cares about an interjection such as "he got it!" from ED. It was ED's ridiculously prepubescent sounding squeal that came off as amateurish. Yeah, color commentators are supposed to be a part of big calls, but I've rarely heard a grown man on such a call sound like a 13 year old girl at a Justin Bieber concert. ED needed to check himself, and his stupid screaming/giggling took away from what Ted was doing.

Funny, but I don't remember anyone giggling and shrieking while Starkey was screaming "Owens! Owens! Owens! Owens!" for The Catch 2. Don't remember hearing it on The Catch radio call, either. ED came off like a total amateur. Not saying we need to draw and quarter him, but it was obnoxious. I'm sure someone upstairs will have a talk with him about it.
Share 49ersWebzone