LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

Is our offense capable of putting up 28+ points?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is our offense capable of putting up 28+ points?

Originally posted by 65of221on3rdLOL:
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
We won't f**king need to.

When I hear an analyst on ESPN or NFL Network say is as their main argument, all credibility is lost.

It's either can the Saints play on the road or can the 49ers put up 28 points.

Stupidest s**t ever. Just b/c the Saints average 28 on the road doesn't mean that trend will continue. They haven't played a top-5 defense on the road, and they've only played 2 defenses in the top-half of the league.

AND THEY HAVEN'T PLAYED A DEFENSE LIKE OURS EITHER

28 points my ass.

Exactly what offense have you faced like the Saints?

We have faced 4 offenses in the top-11: Lions, Eagles, Giants and Cowboys.

It goes both ways, you're right. I just can't stand the argument that the 49ers need to score 28 points b/c the Saints are automatically going to score that much.

I guarantee the Saints will not score 28 points against this defense.
Originally posted by jreff22:
We have, we got healthy and kept you out of the Dome.

Now if you could only do something about the Alex Smith situation. Time is ticking. And when you attempt the most FGs in NFL history its kind of hard for the offense to take responsibility for earning the 2 seed.

Congratulations on Drew Brees earning you the 3 seed
Originally posted by Ninerman49:
We are the worst in the league when it comes to big plays. Even if we stop the saints a decent amount of times I still see them scoring around 28 points. Do you think our offense could put up that much in return? Do you think we will see alex finally taking more shots downfield?

The truth is. I feel we will be in a position where drew brees willl have the ball with 1:30 left and a chance to win it like last time... :(

The 49ers have a GREAT chance at winning this game, and here's why...

this season:

the Saints average 27 pts per game on the road. 25 ppg on grass.

the 49ers average 27 pts per game at Candlestick.

the Saints D gives up an avg of 25 ppg on the road.

the 49ers D gives up an avg of 11 ppg at Candlestick.

So, if the Saints score 25 ppg outside, and Niners give up 11 ppg at the Stick, its reasonable to expect the Saints could be held to around 18 pts.

And, if the 49ers score 27 ppg at the Stick, and the Saints D gives up 25 ppg away from home, its reasonable to expect the 49ers could score around 26.

The Saints already have proven that they dont score all that much on grass. 25 pts per game for the supposed "greatest show on turf part II" isnt all that scary. now couple that with having to face an elite defense, which allows under 11 ppg at home, which is about what the greatest ppg defense in NFL history averaged over a full season in 2000 (Ravens). the 49ers have given up a garbage time TD that went through the DB's hands, shutout the Rams, and then gave up 3 pts to the Steelers on MNF. thats the last 3 games at Candlestick.

Something tells me the Saints arent going to be scoring 35+ like everyone in America seems willing to put money on. The Saints also havent beaten many good teams this year. they beat the Giants and Lions. so did we. they beat the Texans, which is about the extent of it. meanwhile, they faced bottom 10 ppg defenses NINE TIMES this season. they faced the cream of the crop when it came to crappy D's. Brees is incredible, and if we were in that dome, id have little hope. but, lets see the big, bad Saints offense on real grass, outside, where real football is played, and against a legit defense.

I see us taking away the Saints running game, as we usually do. the success of the run game was the key to the Saints passing successes this season. take that away, and ill take my chances against a one-dimensional football team. now use Justin Smith to occupy Carl Nicks and Jermon Bushrod. Smith is just the kind of player that can create that distraction. let the pass rush take advantage of this, and blitz Brees heavily up the middle. Like Tom Brady, when you get to Brees up the middle, he loses the pocket he loves to step into, and has to move around. Hes not that great outside the pocket.

we have a great team of LB that can occupy the short passing game, and if the pass rush is working, the guys who stretch the field will be kept in check. we kept Calvin Johnson in front of us all game, and he never burned us.

If this can be established, the Saints will begin to panic. the offense that had been running so smoothly for 9 weeks will hit a bump, and if were lucky, theyll try and change strategy. we just need to knock them off the tracks a bit. im not worried about the offense. ever since AZ made our OL look awful, they really made some changes. the last 3 games against PIT, SEA, and STL, the OL has protected Smith well, especially against the blitz.

our edge will be ST. we are able to score pts on most every trip into FG range, and Lee is responsible for the worst opponent starting position in the NFL. if they spend the game starting back behind the 20 on average, and we spend the game more towards the 30, thats a big advantage.

I see a close, defensive game, a style the Saints arent used to playing in. the Niners live in this environment. were at home, were on national TV, we always play well in these scenarios, and the Saints are going to be in totally foreign territory. being out west in a defensive game, outside on grass, etc. it just seems like we have enough advantages to have a legit chance to win. all the "experts" clearly arent doing their jobs if they cant envision a scenario where the Niners have a chance.

I like us to win in a 24-17 type of game. this wont be a 42-35, all-TD style game the Saints are used to.

I wish this game would get here already. im so sick of waiting. this feels like waiting for Christmas used to as a kid, except theres a bit of worried anxiety involved.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Jan 12, 2012 at 12:54 AM ]
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
We have faced 4 offenses in the top-11: Lions, Eagles, Giants and Cowboys.

It goes both ways, you're right. I just can't stand the argument that the 49ers need to score 28 points b/c the Saints are automatically going to score that much.

I guarantee the Saints will not score 28 points against this defense.

How can you not stand the 9ers need to score 28 but guarantee the Saints won't. Definition of hypocritical.
Originally posted by Niners99:
this year:

So, if the Saints score 25 ppg outside, and Niners give up 11 ppg at the Stick, its reasonable to expect the Saints could be held to around 18 pts.

And, if the 49ers score 27 ppg at the Stick, and the Saints D gives up 25 ppg away from home, its reasonable to expect the 49ers could score around 26.
Sorry I know you spent a lot of time on that but I stopped reading here. Why don't you take this strategy and try to make a living betting on over/under odds. See how far you get.
this year:

Sorry I know you spent a lot of time on that but I stopped reading here. Why don't you take this strategy and try to make a living betting on over/under odds. See how far you get.

if you read the rest, I explained past the stats. Id hate to put some worry in your mind about this probable Saints victory, but if you want to be realistic about the game, read it.
I heard on 49ers central that the saints gave up the most big passing plays this season and their defense is pathetic I think the niners could handle them even more so if Harper is out, so yeah I think the 49ers could put up 28+ on the Saints. Gore,Davis and Crabtree could torch their D especially since they aren't very good tacklers.

The Saints already have proven that they dont score all that much on grass. 25 pts per game for the supposed "greatest show on turf part II" isnt all that scary. now couple that with having to face an elite defense, which allows under 11 ppg at home, which is about what the greatest ppg defense in NFL history averaged over a full season in 2000 (Ravens). the 49ers have given up a garbage time TD that went through the DB's hands, shutout the Rams, and then gave up 3 pts to the Steelers on MNF. thats the last 3 games at Candlestick.
One game outside since our current 9 game winning streak, thats 9-0. We scored 22 in that game @ TEN a similar defense. Brees said in an interview this week with SF media he missed a TD to Moore, and anyone who saw the game watched Graham miss a TD by "one blade of grass" (he switched to half a size smaller cleats the next week). So yea could have been 36.

Something tells me the Saints arent going to be scoring 35+ like everyone in America seems willing to put money on. The Saints also havent beaten many good teams this year. they beat the Giants and Lions. so did we. they beat the Texans, which is about the extent of it. meanwhile, they faced bottom 10 ppg defenses NINE TIMES this season. they faced the cream of the crop when it came to crappy D's. Brees is incredible, and if we were in that dome, id have little hope. but, lets see the big, bad Saints offense on real grass, outside, where real football is played, and against a legit defense.

I see us taking away the Saints running game, as we usually do. the success of the run game was the key to the Saints passing successes this season. take that away, and ill take my chances against a one-dimensional football team. now use Justin Smith to occupy Carl Nicks and Jermon Bushrod. Smith is just the kind of player that can create that distraction. let the pass rush take advantage of this, and blitz Brees heavily up the middle. Like Tom Brady, when you get to Brees up the middle, he loses the pocket he loves to step into, and has to move around. Hes not that great outside the pocket.
Ok you're going to occupy 2 pro bowl offensive linemen with 1 pro bowl defensive linemen the whole game? Highly doubtful. We have the best offensive line in the league for a reason.

we have a great team of LB that can occupy the short passing game, and if the pass rush is working, the guys who stretch the field will be kept in check. we kept Calvin Johnson in front of us all game, and he never burned us.

If this can be established, the Saints will begin to panic. the offense that had been running so smoothly for 9 weeks will hit a bump, and if were lucky, theyll try and change strategy. we just need to knock them off the tracks a bit. im not worried about the offense. ever since AZ made our OL look awful, they really made some changes. the last 3 games against PIT, SEA, and STL, the OL has protected Smith well, especially against the blitz.

our edge will be ST. we are able to score pts on most every trip into FG range, and Lee is responsible for the worst opponent starting position in the NFL. if they spend the game starting back behind the 20 on average, and we spend the game more towards the 30, thats a big advantage.

I see a close, defensive game, a style the Saints arent used to playing in. the Niners live in this environment. were at home, were on national TV, we always play well in these scenarios, and the Saints are going to be in totally foreign territory. being out west in a defensive game, outside on grass, etc. it just seems like we have enough advantages to have a legit chance to win. all the "experts" clearly arent doing their jobs if they cant envision a scenario where the Niners have a chance.

I like us to win in a 24-17 type of game. this wont be a 42-35, all-TD style game the Saints are used to.

I wish this game would get here already. im so sick of waiting. this feels like waiting for Christmas used to as a kid, except theres a bit of worried anxiety involved.
Seattle (twice), Dallas, Philly, Detriot, Giants, and Cardinals all put up at least 17 on this great D. You think the Saints will score 17 in the playoffs? We did have the most yards offense in a postseason game last week to a pass defense that is very similar statistically
Originally posted by 49ersGiantspride:
I heard on 49ers central that the saints gave up the most big passing plays this season and their defense is pathetic I think the niners could handle them even more so if Harper is out, so yeah I think the 49ers could put up 28+ on the Saints. Gore,Davis and Crabtree could torch their D especially since they aren't very good tacklers.

Who is going to throw them the ball lol?
Originally posted by 49ersGiantspride:

Who is going to throw them the ball lol?

One game outside since our current 9 game winning streak, thats 9-0. We scored 22 in that game @ TEN a similar defense. Brees said in an interview this week with SF media he missed a TD to Moore, and anyone who saw the game watched Graham miss a TD by "one blade of grass" (he switched to half a size smaller cleats the next week). So yea could have been 36.

Ok you're going to occupy 2 pro bowl offensive linemen with 1 pro bowl defensive linemen the whole game? Highly doubtful. We have the best offensive line in the league for a reason.

Seattle (twice), Dallas, Philly, Detriot, Giants, and Cardinals all put up at least 17 on this great D. You think the Saints will score 17 in the playoffs? We did have the most yards offense in a postseason game last week to a pass defense that is very similar statistically

yet, at seasons end, we averaged 14.3 points per game allowed, 2nd only to the Steelers 14.2

oh btw, "couldve been 36 pts" is horrible logic. if every team in the NFL played the "couldve done this" card, the season would be entirely different.

we allow 10.9 pts per game at home. we havent allowed a TD at home in 8 quarters. we havent turned the ball over once in the last 5 games. we lead the NFL in turnover margin.

if ONE Saints fan would actually step up and say "hey, lets be a little worried here." it would make your fans sound alot smarter. the ignorant attitude of everyone on the Saints front is exactly what Harbaugh wants. at this rate you better pray the Saints win, because you guys are going to be working on that massive helping of crow for the rest of the offseason if you lose.

btw, those who dont learn from history are doomed to repeat it. I cant even imagine how much more cocky you guys were heading into Seattle last year.

heres my advice to the Saints...treat every playoff game like its your Super Bowl, because you wont be making it there if your looking overtop this game towards Green Bay.

since we lost to Dallas in week 2, the 49ers D has given up 4 TD's at Candlestick in the last 24 quarters of play, or the last 6 home games.

the idea that youre going to march up and down the field scoring at will is a daydream.
since we lost to Dallas in week 2, the 49ers D has given up 4 TD's at Candlestick in the last 24 quarters of play, or the last 6 home games.

the idea that youre going to march up and down the field scoring at will is a daydream.

you faced eli, big ben on one leg, and who in that span ?

I don't think they're listening anymore. They're just going to go back and watch their terror dome highlights, talk about Alex Smith etc.

you faced eli, big ben on one leg, and who in that span ?

vick, dalton, flacco, stafford...
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
vick, dalton, flacco, stafford...

dalton, flacco? vick had a down year

we had

rodgers, cutler, schaub, stafford (us too!), newton (twice) > dalton, ryan (twice) > flacco, eli (us too!)
[ Edited by 65of221on3rdLOL on Jan 12, 2012 at 2:32 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone