LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 313 users in the forums

Is our offense capable of putting up 28+ points?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is our offense capable of putting up 28+ points?

• BobS
  • Veteran
The key isn't scoring 28 points it is holding the Saints down. So I almost hope the 49ers don't score 28. I think our best chance of winning is controlling the clock and limiting Saint possessions, the more times Brees has the ball the more chances for big plays out of the Saints. I wouldn't mind seeing two 10 minute drives yielding one FG and one touchdown, in the first half and do the same thing in the second half, I have no problem winning this thing slow and ugly, 20-14.
We can, but it will involve the D and ST's putting us in good field position. We have yet to show that we can execute multiple long drives ( that result in TD's and not field goals) and our Red Zone woes, while better are still a concern. However, if the D and ST play continue at their season long level and Alex has a good game, and, Harbaugh allows the O to open up a bit, we have a legit chance at taking the Saints. Go 9'ers!!
we have moved the ball extremelly well

no matter where we were on the field i dont think we had many 3 and outs
We have the ability yes. But we'll have to shake our conservative nature a tad and take some risks. The one play that I think Harbaugh has been saving for the playoffs is the screen pass. Ever wonder why we never run them in regular season? But whenever we did, it would usually work well especially with Kendall Hunter. So let the Saints defense pin their ears back on the rush and let's burn them with screens...over and over and over until they stop it.

Plus our offensive line is going to be FIRED UP. You don't think Jimmy H gets into their head about the preseason blitzing? This combined with HOPEFULLY a healthy Frank Gore and I think we'll run the ball down their throats. Keep on picking up 4-5 yards a pop. This will make the Saints defense tired and we control the clock/keep Brees off the field.
[ Edited by pete98146 on Jan 11, 2012 at 11:31 AM ]
Originally posted by pete98146:
We have the ability yes. But we'll have to shake our conservative nature a tad and take some risks. The one play that I think Harbaugh has been saving for the playoffs is the screen pass. Ever wonder why we never run them in regular season? But whenever we did, it would usually work well especially with Kendall Hunter. So let the Saints defense pin their ears back on the rush and let's burn them with screens...over and over and over until they stop it.

we are only conservative in RZ we have one of the most RZ trips in nfl despite our limitations witht he playbook earlier this season (because of the offseason)

imo the conservative nature will be shaken off against the saints
Are the 49ers on offense capable of putting together 4 good lengthy drives ending in 4 touchdonws? No.

Can the 49ers as a team get 4 touchdowns or more, through offense,special teams, field position, turnovers, etc? Yes. In fact I'd say as a team they could do it quite easily.
Originally posted by gosaints:
Are the 49ers on offense capable of putting together 4 good lengthy drives ending in 4 touchdonws? No.

Can the 49ers as a team get 4 touchdowns or more, through offense,special teams, field position, turnovers, etc? Yes. In fact I'd say as a team they could do it quite easily.

It doesnt matter how you score as long as you score more points than the other team
Originally posted by valrod33:

It doesnt matter how you score as long as you score more points than the other team

we have a better chance of putting together lengthy drives than the Saints, just because we'll be going against the lesser of the two defenses.

but its true that we probably won't--or won't have to. we'll score on short fields from turnovers and turn good field position into 3 points at least. we'll win the turnover battle and the game.
Akers making 5 field goals, a safety, Ginn returning a punt all the way to the endzone and Rogers TD, very doable.
Originally posted by Ninerman49:
We are the worst in the league when it comes to big plays. Even if we stop the saints a decent amount of times I still see them scoring around 28 points. Do you think our offense could put up that much in return? Do you think we will see alex finally taking more shots downfield?

The truth is. I feel we will be in a position where drew brees willl have the ball with 1:30 left and a chance to win it like last time... :(

Dude when is the last time you were with a woman? Grow a pair. This is football.

Oh and to answer your question, yes.

Of course we can put up 28 points. I honestly believe that we can put up much more than that if Harbaugh deemed it necessary. While our offense does look flat at times, on the whole I think most people complaining about it lack clarity. For one, the fact that we've progressed to this point after a lockout and shortened camp is nothing short of amazing. Lost in all the current press we're getting is that Harbaugh is a rookie head coach. The fact is came in on a very short timetable, had the foresight to commit to Alex when NOBODY believed in him, install a new system, AND have success deserves applause.

Two, you have to look at the way Harbaugh schemes.

In my opinion, he just doesn't seem interested in blowing teams out every week just because. He eschews the traditional game approach in favor of long, sustained drives that eat up the clock. And with one of the hottest offenses in NFL history coming to town Saturday, I can't say that this would be a good time to deviate from that. So is our offense capable of putting up 28 points? I'd say sure, if we need to then that's what we'll do.

Beyond that, I don't see the problem with sticking to what works.
We only put up more than 28 pts in three games all year and the offense only scored more than 28 pts once all year (ST scored in the other two games).

Anything is possible, but our offense putting up more than 28 pts against the Saints D isn't very likely. The defense & ST are most likely going to have to win this game for us, which shouldn't shock anyone.
Originally posted by Overkill:
We only put up more than 28 pts in three games all year and the offense only scored more than 28 pts once all year (ST scored in the other two games).

Anything is possible, but our offense putting up more than 28 pts against the Saints D isn't very likely. The defense & ST are most likely going to have to win this game for us, which shouldn't shock anyone.

Makes sense to me. The opportunity is there for the 49ers to win playing their game...Siants turned the ball over twice, but Lions failed to gain an advantage from it. Niners will need to cash in on any opportunites like that & slow the game down.
Do the 49ers routinely put together lengthy drives, let's say 60 yards or more? From what I could gather most successful drives are relatively short on the basis of great field position.
Do the 49ers routinely put together lengthy drives, let's say 60 yards or more? From what I could gather most successful drives are relatively short on the basis of great field position.

not really

most of our game winning or must score drives are typically long ones

steelers giants eagles etc.

49ers offense typically scores when need to we arent like the saints or packers that score willy-nilly

imo harbaugh is going to treat every drive as a need to score situation (not saying we will score every drive)
Share 49ersWebzone