LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

Eddie D a finalist for pro football hall of fame.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Shouldn't induction be based on production, winning, and impact on the game? Eddie D did all three at a high level. If success truly starts at the top, he should be in. He formed the greatest dynasty in the history of the NFL, won 5 championships, and changed the way organizations are ran in the NFL. Every other NFL franchise copied his 49ers in every way. He was in another class. If there was ever a non player who deserved to be in the HOF, it's Eddie D.

How ironic that it happens here in NO, where Eddie was accused of cozying up with the governor and riverboat gambling. It is a travesty that he is not it. Just like Pete Rose should be in (and Barry )
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Shouldn't induction be based on production, winning, and impact on the game? Eddie D did all three at a high level. If success truly starts at the top, he should be in. He formed the greatest dynasty in the history of the NFL, won 5 championships, and changed the way organizations are ran in the NFL. Every other NFL franchise copied his 49ers in every way. He was in another class. If there was ever a non player who deserved to be in the HOF, it's Eddie D.

Sounds like your describing Bill Walsh.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:

How ironic that it happens here in NO, where Eddie was accused of cozying up with the governor and riverboat gambling. It is a travesty that he is not it. Just like Pete Rose should be in (and Barry )

I wasn't even thinking about the NO connection. That is ironic lol.
Originally posted by Jcool:

Absolutely. I could use the same argument for Bill, and he's in. Eddie D should be in as well.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Absolutely. I could use the same argument for Bill, and he's in. Eddie D should be in as well.

Hard to really quantify what an owners impact is when compared to players/coaches.
Sadly I think it will be decades before Eddie D gets in. The writers seem to only vote for those that they see on TV.
Hard to really quantify what an owners impact is when compared to players/coaches.

That's true, but it's not without precedence. There are a number of owners, commissioners, presidents, and founders in the HOF. I think Eddie's resume can rival many of them. Obviously I'm a bit biased, but if there are non-players in the HOF, Eddie should be one of them.
What a crock. The only owner with 5 superbowls and they let in WS, and fat tuna . What a joke
Originally posted by Tommyboy:
Sadly I think it will be decades before Eddie D gets in. The writers seem to only vote for those that they see on TV.

former SF Chronicle beat writer/curmudgeon Ira Miller chairs the election committe....still a hater I suppose
Ogden nailed it

Larry Allen actually scared people

Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by Tommyboy:

former SF Chronicle beat writer/curmudgeon Ira Miller chairs the election committe....still a hater I suppose

Don't get me started on Ira Miller
Larry ran a 4.8
Owners aren't getting in over great players and coaches sorry guys. Unfortunately, Eddie's best shot is that they have a separate category for owners.
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Owners aren't getting in over great players and coaches sorry guys. Unfortunately, Eddie's best shot is that they have a separate category for owners.

Really I bet if Jerry Jones stop being an owner today. He would get in on his first try. The fact is the media votes for those they see on TV all the time.

P.S. Matter of fact I bet Art Modell gets in before Eddie sadly.
[ Edited by Tommyboy on Feb 2, 2013 at 3:33 PM ]
  • dj43
There seems to always be some hypocrisy in every situation. The NFL has known about PEDs for years before they moved on it but because DeBartolo did not report the bribe offer (gambler!!!) he will not get in the Hall.

And why Charles Haley is not in I will never understand.
Share 49ersWebzone