There are 236 users in the forums

A Season In Review and What The Future Holds

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If you think that this team is a fluke.....then you should gtfo this WZ and off the bandwagon.....I dont care what team suits up in the RED & GOLD I always expect a winner......next year SB #6 mark it, write it down, take a picture, I dont give a f**k.......
  • SF14
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
If you think that this team is a fluke.....then you should gtfo this WZ and off the bandwagon.....I dont care what team suits up in the RED & GOLD I always expect a winner......next year SB #6 mark it, write it down, take a picture, I dont give a f**k.......

This!

we are going 15-1 next year
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
we're gonna win the division next year and finish at either 11-5 or 12-4

if our defense is again top 5, special teams #1, our offense needs to improve somewhere around 10-15

11-5 I say
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
this season was not a fluke, it was the start of something special. eventually the taste of sunday will go away, and i would like to think the niners will use that game to prepare them for next year sort of like we used the loss to dallas in the nfl finals to motivate us to go back and win it all the next year. aside from justin there is no one getting up there in years to worry about and after what happened yesterday, no player or coach on our team will set around playing checkers in the off season, if you stand still you lose ground and i am sure that will not happen to this coaching staff and these players.. this is our hill and these are our beans
(JH Speaking)

#1. WOW, we got this far with no wide receivers, did anyone think that was possible?? (Everyone laughs) Was it just me, or was everyone hoping "the real Braylon" was going to magically appear at some point?? Dang, that was a bummer.

#2. Vic Fangio gets a season ball for a.) getting the defense to a high level so fast, and b.) getting ever ounce of talent out of the roster.

#3. Brad Seely - you would have gotten the ball, but...we won't go there. Amazing job all year. Thank you.

#4. Roman (and staff) -- unbelieveable you got so much out of so little and with constant injuries. Those long play sheets look great on game day to fool the other team, but seriously next year we have more than 20 plays we can call for each game. We've got to get this scheme fully installed.

#5. ASmith -- It took a whole season, but we may have rebuilt him enough to see if he can take the next step. We have to spend the offseason getting him and the receivers to a comfort level. Let's bring in Smith, the WR (we eventually get, everyone laughs), and the DBs. Let's get Smith thowing lightening on the move and into tight coverage. We've got to see if this guy will pull the trigger. CK's got a heck of an arm, we have to see if he can make decisions in the pro offense, let's stress him this offseason and see. Tolzein, love this kid's game. Let's find his ceiling, I think he's gonna surprise us. Baalke - see if you can get Josh Johnson in here asap.

#6. VD - Let's hope we didn't accidentally create the next TO with that catch against NO (Everyone laughs). Let me talk to him. But Baalke, we need to pair VD with a different type of TE, find me the next "Gronkowski" -- there might be a couple at Stanford. We need a TE that plays like a basketball player, finds the soft zones and catches everything -- a real safety net for the QB. DW is fine, but he is really a mini-VD threat.

#7. GORE - Does the guy have a heart the size of a whale? (Laughs) Okay, we've got about 1 year left with him (he's on a 3 year deal with 2 years left). He runs for tough yards, still has great vision when there is daylight, (we'll get to the OLine later - groans heard), but we're gonna need to groom the replacement asap. Baalke, lets target a 3rd or 4th for a young back. Rathman, we really need you to bring Hunter and Miller to the next level. Rathman, "Miller is going to be a clone of me next year!" Cool.

#8. WR -- Really, we have keep Crab-baby?? Baalke, isn't there some team that we can rob by trading him to them?? Come-on, convince Seattle Crab's is somehow getting away from us! Seriously guys, Baalke, we need a real #1 WR - big, fast, fearless, team player -- get one in FA, one in round #1 or #2, and one in round #6 or #7. We CAN'T risk it next year, or other teams will start really shutting our offense down. How's Josh's ankle coming, we need some clue if he'll be 100% before we enter this FA and draft period.

#9. OL -- Is Chilo gone yet?? No really, he's gone right? Guys, we had a glaring hole at RG that led to constant attacks from the right. ADavis can only block some many guys on the same play. (Laughs). Baalke, get a FA if at all possible. And we need a OG/C in the draft. (Although this discussion might also include the urgency of bringing Kilgore or Pearson along because they are starter capable next year.) Now on scheme, OL Coaches and RB Coaches, I want a plan on my desk by Friday on how you are going to fix the scheme problems we had in protection. No more bulls**t. We can't have linemen and RBs all blocking 1 guy while the blitzer comes free -- we all see the blitzer lined up to come before the play. You're not suggesting the OL and RBs are total morons and get it wrong every time are you? There is something wrong with the protection schemes.

#10 DEFENSE - WOW again. Sign Rogers asap -- Culliver, Brown, and Brock all developed nicely, kudos, they are keepers. Start preparing to find a replacement for Goldson, he's gonna be hard to keep. We need a rangey guy like that, that isn't afraid to hit. Man, that is hard to find. Try to lock up Grant, he's a starter anywhere else now. This defense runs on having the ILBs able to cover the whole darn field. Let's get some more strength and weight on Aldon this offseason, - wow, he could be 20 sacks if we can get him starting next year. LASTLY, Justin Smith is indespensable. We need to find the next JSmith in the draft - he is getting up there in years. They may not make them like that anymore, need to start looking now. Send in Brooks, I want to try and convince him to stay on a reasonable contract -- he doesn't want to risk ending up on another Bengals type team does he?

#11 ST - Seely, you get a raise. Castanzo, no lie, he is a difference maker. Spiller, got to keep him. Ginn -- how are we going to keep him? His agent has called three times this morning. Everyone Laughs. Seriously, let's make sure KW is okay -- kid was just trying too hard. Heck, we've all been there. Thank god Ditka wasn't here, he nearly killed me back then. LOL.

Okay, men, we did it. This Franchise is back to "Superbowl or Bust." Congrats - you're job just got 1000 times harder. Let's take the afternoon off and we'll start back here tomorrow at 5:30 am -- we'll tomorrow, sleep in. See you at 6:00 am.
  • SF14
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HearstFan:
(JH Speaking)

#1. WOW, we got this far with no wide receivers, did anyone think that was possible?? (Everyone laughs) Was it just me, or was everyone hoping "the real Braylon" was going to magically appear at some point?? Dang, that was a bummer.

#2. Vic Fangio gets a season ball for a.) getting the defense to a high level so fast, and b.) getting ever ounce of talent out of the roster.

#3. Brad Seely - you would have gotten the ball, but...we won't go there. Amazing job all year. Thank you.

#4. Roman (and staff) -- unbelieveable you got so much out of so little and with constant injuries. Those long play sheets look great on game day to fool the other team, but seriously next year we have more than 20 plays we can call for each game. We've got to get this scheme fully installed.

#5. ASmith -- It took a whole season, but we may have rebuilt him enough to see if he can take the next step. We have to spend the offseason getting him and the receivers to a comfort level. Let's bring in Smith, the WR (we eventually get, everyone laughs), and the DBs. Let's get Smith thowing lightening on the move and into tight coverage. We've got to see if this guy will pull the trigger. CK's got a heck of an arm, we have to see if he can make decisions in the pro offense, let's stress him this offseason and see. Tolzein, love this kid's game. Let's find his ceiling, I think he's gonna surprise us. Baalke - see if you can get Josh Johnson in here asap.

#6. VD - Let's hope we didn't accidentally create the next TO with that catch against NO (Everyone laughs). Let me talk to him. But Baalke, we need to pair VD with a different type of TE, find me the next "Gronkowski" -- there might be a couple at Stanford. We need a TE that plays like a basketball player, finds the soft zones and catches everything -- a real safety net for the QB. DW is fine, but he is really a mini-VD threat.

#7. GORE - Does the guy have a heart the size of a whale? (Laughs) Okay, we've got about 1 year left with him (he's on a 3 year deal with 2 years left). He runs for tough yards, still has great vision when there is daylight, (we'll get to the OLine later - groans heard), but we're gonna need to groom the replacement asap. Baalke, lets target a 3rd or 4th for a young back. Rathman, we really need you to bring Hunter and Miller to the next level. Rathman, "Miller is going to be a clone of me next year!" Cool.

#8. WR -- Really, we have keep Crab-baby?? Baalke, isn't there some team that we can rob by trading him to them?? Come-on, convince Seattle Crab's is somehow getting away from us! Seriously guys, Baalke, we need a real #1 WR - big, fast, fearless, team player -- get one in FA, one in round #1 or #2, and one in round #6 or #7. We CAN'T risk it next year, or other teams will start really shutting our offense down. How's Josh's ankle coming, we need some clue if he'll be 100% before we enter this FA and draft period.

#9. OL -- Is Chilo gone yet?? No really, he's gone right? Guys, we had a glaring hole at RG that led to constant attacks from the right. ADavis can only block some many guys on the same play. (Laughs). Baalke, get a FA if at all possible. And we need a OG/C in the draft. (Although this discussion might also include the urgency of bringing Kilgore or Pearson along because they are starter capable next year.) Now on scheme, OL Coaches and RB Coaches, I want a plan on my desk by Friday on how you are going to fix the scheme problems we had in protection. No more bulls**t. We can't have linemen and RBs all blocking 1 guy while the blitzer comes free -- we all see the blitzer lined up to come before the play. You're not suggesting the OL and RBs are total morons and get it wrong every time are you? There is something wrong with the protection schemes.

#10 DEFENSE - WOW again. Sign Rogers asap -- Culliver, Brown, and Brock all developed nicely, kudos, they are keepers. Start preparing to find a replacement for Goldson, he's gonna be hard to keep. We need a rangey guy like that, that isn't afraid to hit. Man, that is hard to find. Try to lock up Grant, he's a starter anywhere else now. This defense runs on having the ILBs able to cover the whole darn field. Let's get some more strength and weight on Aldon this offseason, - wow, he could be 20 sacks if we can get him starting next year. LASTLY, Justin Smith is indespensable. We need to find the next JSmith in the draft - he is getting up there in years. They may not make them like that anymore, need to start looking now. Send in Brooks, I want to try and convince him to stay on a reasonable contract -- he doesn't want to risk ending up on another Bengals type team does he?

#11 ST - Seely, you get a raise. Castanzo, no lie, he is a difference maker. Spiller, got to keep him. Ginn -- how are we going to keep him? His agent has called three times this morning. Everyone Laughs. Seriously, let's make sure KW is okay -- kid was just trying too hard. Heck, we've all been there. Thank god Ditka wasn't here, he nearly killed me back then. LOL.

Okay, men, we did it. This Franchise is back to "Superbowl or Bust." Congrats - you're job just got 1000 times harder. Let's take the afternoon off and we'll start back here tomorrow at 5:30 am -- we'll tomorrow, sleep in. See you at 6:00 am.
My day just got better with that, thanks.
Originally posted by cciowa:
this season was not a fluke, it was the start of something special. eventually the taste of sunday will go away, and i would like to think the niners will use that game to prepare them for next year sort of like we used the loss to dallas in the nfl finals to motivate us to go back and win it all the next year. aside from justin there is no one getting up there in years to worry about and after what happened yesterday, no player or coach on our team will set around playing checkers in the off season, if you stand still you lose ground and i am sure that will not happen to this coaching staff and these players.. this is our hill and these are our beans

this
Originally posted by SF14:
Originally posted by HearstFan:
(JH Speaking)

My day just got better with that, thanks.
Holy s**t, I just read that in Harbaugh's Voice

• mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
We blew our golden chance, and who knows when the next one comes around? Think about it, home f**king field advantage against a 9-7 team in the NFC Championship with the lead in the 4th quarter. Do you really think we're going to get that far next year with everything going in our favor? Things happen, and we could very well be eliminated in the first round, or not make the playoffs due to our tough schedule and possibly improved division, and don't forget injuries either. Sorry for being such a debbie downer, but it was right there for the taking, and we aren't guaranteed anything in the future.

They were not playing like a 9-7 team, they beat the f**king packers in green bay too. You might as well have given up when we were expected to be at best 8-8 again with that attitude.

Next season we could not make it, we could be eliminated in the first, or NFC championship, or heck we could lose it in the superbowl round next year.. So with that in mind, would you rather be pessimistic and think of this as the one shot we missed in the first(and only) taste of playoff action in way too long? Or would you rather be hopeful and think of this as a team that is just scratching the surface of its potential? The injuries and other unpredictables are what makes seasons unique, obviously you never want to be the rams but many teams deal with and overcome injuries including our own with all the receivers we had hurt.

At the beginning of the year we were listed as one of the teams that would be hurt most by the lockout- rookie coach, new system/coordinators, trying to turn around a team with alex smith. Yet now at the end of the year people are acting like this team is as good as it can get with the current guys. The fact is with all the creative things we try to do sometimes its just a few days practice before they're testing out brand new plays on game day.

I understand being depressed about losing, but come on, look at the next season with some hope. Niners are not far from another solid run at the superbowl, teams with good defenses consistently get chances. Other teams in our division will get better but so will we and we've got a head start talent-wise right now lol.

Plus this guy isn't our coach:

Originally posted by mike:
They were not playing like a 9-7 team, they beat the f**king packers in green bay too. You might as well have given up when we were expected to be at best 8-8 again with that attitude.

Next season we could not make it, we could be eliminated in the first, or NFC championship, or heck we could lose it in the superbowl round next year.. So with that in mind, would you rather be pessimistic and think of this as the one shot we missed in the first(and only) taste of playoff action in way too long? Or would you rather be hopeful and think of this as a team that is just scratching the surface of its potential? The injuries and other unpredictables are what makes seasons unique, obviously you never want to be the rams but many teams deal with and overcome injuries including our own with all the receivers we had hurt.

At the beginning of the year we were listed as one of the teams that would be hurt most by the lockout- rookie coach, new system/coordinators, trying to turn around a team with alex smith. Yet now at the end of the year people are acting like this team is as good as it can get with the current guys. The fact is with all the creative things we try to do sometimes its just a few days practice before they're testing out brand new plays on game day.

I understand being depressed about losing, but come on, look at the next season with some hope. Niners are not far from another solid run at the superbowl, teams with good defenses consistently get chances. Other teams in our division will get better but so will we and we've got a head start talent-wise right now lol.

Plus this guy isn't our coach:
I don't even want to see HIM, God damn those were some rough times
Any time the team have a great a defense as this one. It's no fluke. If we keep this defense together, we can go against any team and have a good chance to win the game.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
It will be hard to replicate the +28 takeaway/giveaway ratio.

(we were -2 yesterday, and no surprise it was loss).

A lot of our wins we "skin of the teeth" with little margin for error.

Want it to not be a fluke. Then fix the offense.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Sorry but I don't buy it. I agree that we will probably be in the playoffs next year but we will never get this close again with this team. This was our chance. We peaked. You can't just be happy to be there...you have to go out and win it all when you're this close. See the 2010 SF Giants.

Opportunities are few and far in between in the NFL and this was ours.

It's amazingly hard to go 13-3, have a bye and have a home game in the NFC Championship.

Hi Debbie Downer!

We got here bc we officially have a legit coach and GM who know what they are doing (Saints, Patriots, Giants, Pitt etc) who had very little to prepare this year.

We will get better, hopefully enter team of the decade talk.

I don't doubt that we will be better...but that doesn't necessary equate to a better record or a better chance at a Super Bowl.

Again, this was our chance and we (Kyle Williams) f**ked it up.

Wow. I absolutely disagree with you on every level. There is absolutely zero reason to be pessimistic on the 49ers future.

- Most of the starters will be back
- Superstar coach
- Superstar GM
- All-world defense with pro bowlers on every level
- QB who is incredibly stable, efficient and clutch.
- Tons of cap room to sign our FAs and plug holes
- Tied for the league lead in Pro Bowl players

Will we get a first-round bye? Maybe not. But we will be back in the playoffs for the foreseeable future. And as we've seen this year, anything can happen once you're in.

Life is good.

And another draft. Think about it, our picks from this year were studs and can only get better. This draft will also add to this team and we have the coaches to use them and coach them up the way it should be done.

Just don't see it happening. This was our chance...period. Home game in the NFC Championship against a team that we were better than. I also think we can/would have beat the Pats. Great season, terrible end.

I expect playoffs next year but I don't expect to be as good relative to the rest of the NFL. Even if we are better, too many things can happen (Packers this year).
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
We blew our golden chance, and who knows when the next one comes around? Think about it, home f**king field advantage against a 9-7 team in the NFC Championship with the lead in the 4th quarter. Do you really think we're going to get that far next year with everything going in our favor? Things happen, and we could very well be eliminated in the first round, or not make the playoffs due to our tough schedule and possibly improved division, and don't forget injuries either. Sorry for being such a debbie downer, but it was right there for the taking, and we aren't guaranteed anything in the future.

I so agree..Too much parity in the league.. to have everything break our way for home field in the NFC Champ game and a beatable Pats team ahead in the SB and to have it go down the drain, even though our O was not good yesterday, to have to go down the drain because of a backup playing a most important position in OT..If only Ginn had been healthy..

Man we need a couple good WR so.. bad..ohh pooo
Share 49ersWebzone