A Season In Review and What The Future Holds

Shop Find 49ers gear online
You don't fluke your way to the NFC Championship
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Very nice post, Jreff.

I strongly agree with your analysis of the receivers. What do you make of Morgan vs. Crabtree in a head to head analysis? Aside from their contracts, I'm having problems finding distinctions between the two. Crabtree is the more gifted athlete, but Morgan seems better at gaining separation and squeezing out a few YAC. They're both excellent down field blockers, both prone to being streaky, and they both share a wicked straight arm.

Although I hate taking wide outs in the first round, I'll concede that doing so likely makes sense this season. We need speed. But I don't think we should discount attempting to find a sane, mature free agent receiver that knows how to plunk himself down in the soft belly of a zone.

Regarding Snyder, I'm on board with Corva. I think he's an important priority.

Crabtree at this point is nothing special. For being picked 10th and making a s**t ton of money the guy is not living up to the hype. When a player is described as needing a better guy on the opposoite side to be relevant that guy is not good. Right now I dont see much between them except Josh is more of a team player.

best thing about crabtree is he has no more guaranteed money, just 500k workout bonuses each year, so he is tradeable.

I checked his numbers last night:
2012: $3.5 million, 2013: $4.5 million, 2014: $3.5 million (Voidable Year), 2015: Free Agent

When the best attribute I keep hearing about him is his blocking something is wrong. I would trade him for a 3rd and take a kid like Streeter, Hill, Wright, Posey....don't care who, just somebody who does something.
I don't get it... Does any other offensive player on our team have good stats. Why the hate on Crabtree. Even in a Harbaugh offense where TE's seem to prosper, VD only had a decent year. Alex played way better this year but still so far to go. I don't like Crabtree's comments sometimes but I wouldn't want to take a step back and and get rid of crabtree.
no way in f**king hell was this team a fluke.
Originally posted by Nes49:
We will be hungier.

this is true!

Also, I think we need to draft a speed WR, big bodied WR, a fast RB, and possibly a OG/C if Kilgore is not starter material.
I feel like some of the turnovers were flukes. The defense played amazing, but it seemed like some a lot of the plays just went the 9ers way this year.
it wasnt a fluke, this team is for real. But its naive to think that we will be in the NFCC game year in and year out. Our D will look different next year, by how much is yet to be seen.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
I feel like some of the turnovers were flukes. The defense played amazing, but it seemed like some a lot of the plays just went the 9ers way this year.

thats the toughest thing.

What we were so good at all year was the very same thing that ultimately killed us. The irony sucks.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Very nice post, Jreff.

I strongly agree with your analysis of the receivers. What do you make of Morgan vs. Crabtree in a head to head analysis? Aside from their contracts, I'm having problems finding distinctions between the two. Crabtree is the more gifted athlete, but Morgan seems better at gaining separation and squeezing out a few YAC. They're both excellent down field blockers, both prone to being streaky, and they both share a wicked straight arm.

Although I hate taking wide outs in the first round, I'll concede that doing so likely makes sense this season. We need speed. But I don't think we should discount attempting to find a sane, mature free agent receiver that knows how to plunk himself down in the soft belly of a zone.

Regarding Snyder, I'm on board with Corva. I think he's an important priority.

Crabtree at this point is nothing special. For being picked 10th and making a s**t ton of money the guy is not living up to the hype. When a player is described as needing a better guy on the opposoite side to be relevant that guy is not good. Right now I dont see much between them except Josh is more of a team player.

best thing about crabtree is he has no more guaranteed money, just 500k workout bonuses each year, so he is tradeable.

I checked his numbers last night:
2012: $3.5 million, 2013: $4.5 million, 2014: $3.5 million (Voidable Year), 2015: Free Agent

When the best attribute I keep hearing about him is his blocking something is wrong. I would trade him for a 3rd and take a kid like Streeter, Hill, Wright, Posey....don't care who, just somebody who does something.
I don't get it... Does any other offensive player on our team have good stats. Why the hate on Crabtree. Even in a Harbaugh offense where TE's seem to prosper, VD only had a decent year. Alex played way better this year but still so far to go. I don't like Crabtree's comments sometimes but I wouldn't want to take a step back and and get rid of crabtree.

Crabtree was drafted and has been paid to be a #1, something he has not done. He finished the season strong, he had a total of 7 very good game...5 of those games that finished the season strong were against NFCW teams. He did NOTHING in the playoffs when the best are supposed to rise to the occasion. He is not prospering because he doesn't possess the skill to beat good CB's on a weekly basis.
I don't think this season was a fluke at all, personally I think this season was the beginning of great things to come. We have an amazing core in our team. We have a great head coach that the players believe in, and the players believe in themselves and each other which was a huge dybamic to the teams performance this year. Honestly I know its every teams goal to win the sb and which coach wouldn't want to do that in their first season. But I don't think that was really on harbaughs mind entering this season. I think this season a lot due to the short off season he wanted to see what he can do with the team, and what needs to change in the team. I know I sound like a broken record but I think this was just the first step for the niners and for harbaugh. I forsee a bright future for our team, and many good players joining or being drafted to this niners squad. I mean who wouldnt want to play on a team that has a family style aura, and hard working warrior state of mind?
  • SF14
  • Veteran
Hey guys. I signed up in December but decided to stay behind the scenes till our season was over so I can become a active poster for the 2012 season instead of crashing the 2011 season in December.

Like everyone I am very bummed that we lost last night. I am upset at Williams but I don't dislike the guy as a person but as a player I just shook my head alot last night.

As for the upcoming 2012 season I think the Niners should be at the minimum as good as the 2011 team, but I expect upgrades since I am sure Jim H wants this team to be better then the 2011 one :). I see the 2012 schedule as this below.

San Francisco 49ers 2012 schedule (dates TBA later).

Home Games: AZ, STL, SEA, CHI, DET, NYG, BUF and MIA

Away: AZ, STL, SEA, GB, MIN, NO, NE and NYJ

Everything in bold are obviously going to be challenging games, especially the road games. I think the home games in bold are going to be moderate tough games. Of the 4 teams in bold at home that might give us problems is DET (same young team) and Buf (ditto with DET). I see most of NYG and CHI teams not having the same teams as the 2011 ones but they could also be sleeper teams. I am going to say 7-1 at home or at worse 6-2.

On the road will be an entirely different story. This road schedule is IMO a top 3 toughest one in the NFL and will be a test. I see GB, NO and NE is a triple whammy and were going to see if this 12' team has what it takes to play with the big boys in their house, should be exciting to watch. I had a problem with trying to decidie if the NYJ will be a legit threat. I decided after the NYJ's locker room melt down a few weeks ago, I honestly think Rex Ryan has lost this team and it will carry into 2012. I am predicting a 5-3 or 4-4 road record only with respect to GB, NO and NE. I think one of those wins will come against GB and NO. NE is on a totally different level as much as I hate to say that . Again a surprise loss to one of the NFC west contenders on the road could happen.

So at best (and being realistic) 12-4 or 11-5, worse case scenario 10-6. I honestly think Jim will want the '12 squad to be better then the 11' squad and I know the organization will want that to happen at any cost, especially being so close to the title game last night.

As for someone saying earlier about comparing us to SD. I think the poster meant like how on a consistent basis SD were in the playoffs year in and year out before the 2011 season and not about the heartless players SD had. While I am a big Niner fan, I'll admit I was jealous of SD going to the playoffs every year. I think the Niners are in great hands with Jim for the next 5 years.
[ Edited by SF14 on Jan 23, 2012 at 5:27 PM ]

we're gonna win the division next year and finish at either 11-5 or 12-4

if our defense is again top 5, special teams #1, our offense needs to improve somewhere around 10-15
  • SF14
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
I don't think this season was a fluke at all, personally I think this season was the beginning of great things to come. We have an amazing core in our team. We have a great head coach that the players believe in, and the players believe in themselves and each other which was a huge dybamic to the teams performance this year. Honestly I know its every teams goal to win the sb and which coach wouldn't want to do that in their first season. But I don't think that was really on harbaughs mind entering this season. I think this season a lot due to the short off season he wanted to see what he can do with the team, and what needs to change in the team. I know I sound like a broken record but I think this was just the first step for the niners and for harbaugh. I forsee a bright future for our team, and many good players joining or being drafted to this niners squad. I mean who wouldnt want to play on a team that has a family style aura, and hard working warrior state of mind?

I agree, I think no one thought this team was going to come back from the dead (2010 season) and seriously compete out of the gates with a rookie coach. While others figured its going to take a year or two for Jim to get everyone on the same page. I honestly think with this happening sooner then expected, this is going to put the league on notice and take the 2012 Niners a very serious team to play against. I think with training camp and preseason games in full slate this summer this will favor the Niners in getting up to speed quickly vs a short training camp last summer. I like our chances so much at another promising season, I am gonna order Sunday ticket next season
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
we're gonna win the division next year and finish at either 11-5 or 12-4

if our defense is again top 5, special teams #1, our offense needs to improve somewhere around 10-15

It's not a longshot to say we will go 8-0 at home next year. On the road, we'll be lucky to split.
Harbaugh and Baalke are good at what they do and they have a plan. This team will be good for years.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Sorry but I don't buy it. I agree that we will probably be in the playoffs next year but we will never get this close again with this team. This was our chance. We peaked. You can't just be happy to be there...you have to go out and win it all when you're this close. See the 2010 SF Giants.

Opportunities are few and far in between in the NFL and this was ours.

It's amazingly hard to go 13-3, have a bye and have a home game in the NFC Championship.

Hi Debbie Downer!

We got here bc we officially have a legit coach and GM who know what they are doing (Saints, Patriots, Giants, Pitt etc) who had very little to prepare this year.

We will get better, hopefully enter team of the decade talk.

I don't doubt that we will be better...but that doesn't necessary equate to a better record or a better chance at a Super Bowl.

Again, this was our chance and we (Kyle Williams) f**ked it up.

Wow. I absolutely disagree with you on every level. There is absolutely zero reason to be pessimistic on the 49ers future.

- Most of the starters will be back
- Superstar coach
- Superstar GM
- All-world defense with pro bowlers on every level
- QB who is incredibly stable, efficient and clutch.
- Tons of cap room to sign our FAs and plug holes
- Tied for the league lead in Pro Bowl players

Will we get a first-round bye? Maybe not. But we will be back in the playoffs for the foreseeable future. And as we've seen this year, anything can happen once you're in.

Life is good.

And another draft. Think about it, our picks from this year were studs and can only get better. This draft will also add to this team and we have the coaches to use them and coach them up the way it should be done.
Share 49ersWebzone