LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 256 users in the forums

A Season In Review and What The Future Holds

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I went back and watched the 1981 NFC Championship game this morning. Partly because I just wanted to see a game where I knew the Niners would win, but partly because the 2011 version reminded me a lot of the 1981 team. The one thing that stood out to me was this: that 1981 team had 6 turnovers in that game. 6! We ended up being -3 for the game but only because of the strip/fumble of White at the end of the game, otherwise we would have been -4. That team still won the game and then the Super Bowl. It just reminded me of how fickle the football gods can be, and we as fans can be. I'm still really angry that KW fumbled 3 times, just as I'm angry that Roger Craig fumbled in 1990. I'll never truly get over either one, but I'll move on, and more importantly I think our team will move on. It feels really good to know that we have competent leadership for the first time in a long time. That, more than anything, gives me hope. If this were a Singletary or Nolan or Erickson coached team, I'd definitely think we missed our one and only opportunity. Coach Harbaugh showed me a lot this year, and I am squarely in his corner at this point. Onward and upward. Being faithful today is easier than at any point in the past 20 years.
I'd choose Colston. I'm hopeful Carlos Rodgers will accept that "hometeam discount."
If we can keep this defense in tact and just add a few pieces to the offense, the NFL will have a lot to worry about for years to come.
Bottom line, that loss hurts more than 90, alot more and no it's not time to move on...yet. When it hurts this bad, it takes time especially if you live n die Red n Gold as NFC Championships don't come around that often, 14 years it's been. So yea, to each their own, but I am not over this by a long shot. Hell, the Craig fumbles still burns.

It like anything severe...going to take time to heal.

Still, I am so proud of my team and I look forward to next year!
Originally posted by susweel:
I know the loss was painful and still is but we gotta move on. It happened and there is nothing anybody can do about it. The season was great nobody expected anything from this team and we managed to win 14 games. We almost made it to the big dance but the reality we still need to make some more improvements to be considered a complete team.

The future is brighter than it has been in a long time. Here's to having a great off season and come back strong next year.
Well said, great year far exceeded my expectations, hope we can bring a FA WR or move up to get one of the better WR's in the draft.

Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
I'm over lastnight already, and i'm proud of our team.

Bring on Free Agency and the Draft

This
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
If we can keep this defense in tact and just add a few pieces to the offense, the NFL will have a lot to worry about for years to come.

^This
Absolutely.

Now, it's on th FA and the draft. Just think what we did this year w/no training camp, etc. Imagine how well we'll do with another great FA?Draft from Baalke & JH.
3-4 Supebowls in the next 5 seasons
Doubt our offense will be conservative going into year +2 of the system with a full off-season/training camp, new faces, and Harbaugh/Roman film room sessions without frantic rushing to install the playbook into everybody's heads.
Originally posted by lssanjose:
I'd choose Colston. I'm hopeful Carlos Rodgers will accept that "hometeam discount."

i think he will , he really wants to be here, thinks hes comfortable playing cb for this team

really wanna see the hawk back too , but not for too much $ , if he not back we probably draft safety in first and get a wr in FA
I'm still not over it. If you don't mind I will just stay here and mope for a while. Go on with your daily lives. I'll catch up with you. Thanks.
The team is in a good position for the future because the alternative could be a team that is in nowhere near this close to a being a Super Bowl contender this soon. It sucks, but not as much as knowing that Harbaugh is our coach. That alone has me looking for the bright side of a tough loss. Kyle Williams is a c-sucker for his mental errors, but lets hope if he is here in the long run, he learns from this and gets better.
Sigh....I hope the players stay motivated and move on, but as a fan, this one will sting for a long time.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
really wanna see the hawk back too , but not for too much $ , if he not back we probably draft safety in first and get a wr in FA

agree. We're either going WR or DB with our #1 and we'll use FA for whatever we don't grab with our #1. Hate to say it, but I don't see Goldson in a niner uniform next season. He's going to want best safety in the league money.
Share 49ersWebzone