LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 144 users in the forums

Rewording Original Post about WR'ing Corp....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by joeymac49s:
I made a post stating I thought we could use T.O. and it was moved to Free Agency but the question I was really asking which may have gotten lost in the post was, do you really feel comfortable with Crabtree, Ginn, Williams, Swain and Hastings as our WR corp going into the playoffs?? That could quite possibly be the worse WR corps to ever play in the playoffs. Ok I'm joking with that but here's my point. With Braylon Edwards in the game the defense had to AT LEAST respect him. I don't see Swain or Hastings getting that respect which means if I was the Saints or Packers I would put my #1 CB on Vernon Davis, my #2 on Crabtree b/c I'll just roll coverage to his side and double team him all game. I think we REALLY need a big deep threat. Yes Ginn is a deep threat but we need someone with some size oh and someone who can catch the ball (I still haven't forgave him for that drop against Baltimore, either of them). I think our BIGGEST lose of the year if he's not ready by the playoffs is Delanie Walker. The mismatches he creates keeps the defense honest, he does more things not seen for the 49ers then almost anyone on the team. If he's not ready we're going to have to lean even heavier on the run and that scares me. (btw does anyone else think Kendall Hunter is going to be a top 5-8 back in this league for the next 8-10 yrs??) I just REALLY believe we need to bring in someone the other team feels they need to respect and in my opinion that would be T.O. IF he's healthy enough to contribute... What is everyone elses thoughts?? Are you satisfied with Crabtree, Ginn (hopefully), Williams (should be), Swain and Hastings along w/ Vernon Davis and Justin Pelle?? GO NINERS!!!

Well in theory we all agree with you because you are stating we need WR help. We obviously do because of the injuries. I do agree with you that losing Walker is huge, regardless of his stats. (people will bring those out). But walker forced defenses to cover him which freed up other receivers or helped the running game.

But we have what we have and harbaugh will try to find a way to use them. I am sure a big, red zone receiver will be addressed in the offseason.
The WR corp is a problem but it's the end of the season and nothing can be done about it. Just hope they produce and it's something that has to be addressed in the off season. If you take the top 5 wr's in the nfl right now what do they all have in common? No super bowl rings. If your o line protects and your qb makes the throws you can win with less then stellar wr's. TO isn't the answer.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Well in theory we all agree with you because you are stating we need WR help. We obviously do because of the injuries. I do agree with you that losing Walker is huge, regardless of his stats. (people will bring those out). But walker forced defenses to cover him which freed up other receivers or helped the running game.

But we have what we have and harbaugh will try to find a way to use them. I am sure a big, red zone receiver will be addressed in the offseason.

Correct, we all agree we need WR help, i'm just afraid saying we have what we have oh well is what's being done. It's not easy to get the #2 seed in the playoffs (if we beat the Rams of course). I don't think we should just say, well this is what we have oh well... I think we should try to get who we can to make the Super Bowl. In Harbaugh I Trust with that being said, I would feel a lot better about our receiving corp if Walker was ready for the playoffs. I just don't really understand why cutting Braylon helps UNLESS he was being a cancer/cry baby in the locker room/practice, which I could totally see... it's unfortunate b/c right now our 2 biggest problems is a vertical threat and red zone problems and a WR like Braylon solves both of those problems, he's a down the field threat and in the red zone he's a big bodied throw it up and let him make a play type of WR... IF him and Alex are on the same page which clearly they weren't. It sucks b/c imagine what our offense could be with him playing like he played last year for the Jets.
Share 49ersWebzone