LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

Can Aldon become a three down OLB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I think the Steelers game was the first time I actually saw Aldon play almost every down (from the second quarter forward); guy played relentless, couldn't be stopped. -He's just f**king insane...

And, he's all ours.
Trent you were the right man for the G.M. Job after all, can't wait to see Colin progress why holding the clipboard!
in time grass hopper lol he will take parys place hes already better then manny lawson when he was on the 49ers
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerNation:
in time grass hopper lol he will take parys place hes already better then manny lawson when he was on the 49ers

Thank you, master. I shall patiently wait.
Yes. He was a young rookie. He was learning his way and developing within the shceme. People want instant results. But that's not how it works. BTW I don't think he is bad now. Sacks, fumbles, safties. Seems good to me.
Cannot wait to see him use those long ass arms to bat down and intercept passes.
He is too good of an athlete not to. With his size and speed, he has the potential to be solid in coverage. And the kid has a great head on his shoulders so he is extremely coachable.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by johnnyredneat:
IMO everyone saying that it's the pass defense aspect that is holding Aldon back is getting it wrong. It's much more an issue of run defense and preserving his freshness for pass rushing.

Even with an incredible athlete like Aldon, if we ever see him dropping back regularly into coverage then we know the game is not going well. He's already a lanky 265 lbs at age 22. With a year of NFL strength coaching and natural growth, he'll probably be at at least 270 next year, and upwards from there in the future. It's almost impossible to envision a guy like that being effective in coverage on anything more than zone blitzes, etc.

What Aldon hasn't had to do yet is play the run - he's not had to learn to yet. He's got the power to bullrush guys, but setting a hard outside edge and learning to shed blockers is a different game. He's never had to learn to diagnose run plays quickly, worry about gap assignments, etc. His game right now is strictly a full-throttle pass rush.

Elite pass-rushing OLBs like Ware, Mario Williams, Suggs, etc. - these guys play all three downs but rarely are asked to cover anything more than a short zone a few times a game (if that). Aldon will be the same for us. Having him consistently backpedal into coverage would be a waste of his talent.

Good point on the leaning of the run game. 3-4 OLBs have three responsibilities: set the edge, rush the passer, and clog a zone in pass coverage.
The first two are absolutely essential; if you can get both be joyous, and with the third--elated.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Agreed! I was looking for this answer.
IMO I don't see him dropping back in coverage very often at all hes to valuable as a pass rusher to put him into coverage. I think if anything we might see Grant on the left side more instead of Brooks, dropping Grant into coverage more often.
Manny Lawson proved to be solid, not a star. He was expendable not only becasue of Aldon Smith, but because the depth that Brooks and Haralson gives us, and I believe that Brooks if better than Lawson defintely a better pass rusher. Smith is a beast and will be if not is a top 5 pass rushing OLB

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
Manny Lawson proved to be solid, not a star. He was expendable not only becasue of Aldon Smith, but because the depth that Brooks and Haralson gives us, and I believe that Brooks if better than Lawson defintely a better pass rusher. Smith is a beast and will be if not is a top 5 pass rushing OLB

Wait till he starts lifting wieghts and starts maturing. Plus, he fits right in with our young linebackers (Willis, Bowman, Brooks, Parys). The timing is working out beautifully.
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
Yall do realize that Aldon started the last 2 games right?He is already becoming the 3 down back.

This.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by johnnyredneat:
IMO everyone saying that it's the pass defense aspect that is holding Aldon back is getting it wrong. It's much more an issue of run defense and preserving his freshness for pass rushing.

Even with an incredible athlete like Aldon, if we ever see him dropping back regularly into coverage then we know the game is not going well. He's already a lanky 265 lbs at age 22. With a year of NFL strength coaching and natural growth, he'll probably be at at least 270 next year, and upwards from there in the future. It's almost impossible to envision a guy like that being effective in coverage on anything more than zone blitzes, etc.

What Aldon hasn't had to do yet is play the run - he's not had to learn to yet. He's got the power to bullrush guys, but setting a hard outside edge and learning to shed blockers is a different game. He's never had to learn to diagnose run plays quickly, worry about gap assignments, etc. His game right now is strictly a full-throttle pass rush.

Elite pass-rushing OLBs like Ware, Mario Williams, Suggs, etc. - these guys play all three downs but rarely are asked to cover anything more than a short zone a few times a game (if that). Aldon will be the same for us. Having him consistently backpedal into coverage would be a waste of his talent.

Good point on the leaning of the run game. 3-4 OLBs have three responsibilities: set the edge, rush the passer, and clog a zone in pass coverage.
The first two are absolutely essential; if you can get both be joyous, and with the third--elated.
I think Aldon is gonna be great in the run game. Even though he is full throttle pass rush right now, the thing that I think will help his run/pass recognition is his bull rush. He rarely uses speed rush therefore he doesn't run himself out of plays. His long arms allow him to use full extention to keep blockers from getting into his body and he often grabs the blocker and throws him aside.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Yes ..I saw him drop back in coverage a few times, he is a great athlete and should be able to provide some decent pass coverage ....

Aldon Smith is what we thought when we were getting when we drafted Manny Lawson.....it's about time we hit another home run with our first round pick on a player for the defense, Willis was a home run and now Smith , ...makes up for wasted picks we squandered on players like McGrew and Balmer

No it doesn't lol. However it is nice to see several rookies making an instant impact on the team. Makes you lick your chops at the thought of what we will look nice next year with another draft under Baalke.

Manny Lawson is actually still a sore spot for me. It's not that we absolutely needed him, but can anyone honestly say that Parys Haralson brings more to the table than Lawson? I think we kept the wrong LB.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Yes ..I saw him drop back in coverage a few times, he is a great athlete and should be able to provide some decent pass coverage ....

Aldon Smith is what we thought when we were getting when we drafted Manny Lawson.....it's about time we hit another home run with our first round pick on a player for the defense, Willis was a home run and now Smith , ...makes up for wasted picks we squandered on players like McGrew and Balmer

No it doesn't lol. However it is nice to see several rookies making an instant impact on the team. Makes you lick your chops at the thought of what we will look nice next year with another draft under Baalke.

Manny Lawson is actually still a sore spot for me. It's not that we absolutely needed him, but can anyone honestly say that Parys Haralson brings more to the table than Lawson? I think we kept the wrong LB.

Don't worry bro. Lawson chose to leave on his own as a FA and nobody wanted him; Bengals only signed him to a 1 year deal. He wasn't going to be a starter here anyway and had already pretty much lost his job to Brooks and Haralson was already signed LT. It was an addition by subtraction; same for Franklin, Baas, TKO and Clements and even LaBoy. Those departures helped achieve the #1 defense in the NFL and allowed players such as Brooks/Bowman/A.Smith to grow into their own. Also, Lawson is in a better defense suited for him anyhow. It was a win-win. OLB's in our defense don't cover anymore and even when they are exploited and don't get over-the-top help, we still only give up 3 points (Steelers). Baalke, Fangio and Harbaugh "get it."
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 23, 2011 at 2:27 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone