LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 331 users in the forums

How do you remember Charlie Garner?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Cant help it. Mostly I remember him in green.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
soooo, are you just listing popular niners backs from most recent to oldest?

like that post. I can;t really find too many vids of Garner as a 49er but I do briefly remember him at times.
lawrence phillips was meant to be hearst's replacement until charlie beat him out for the job in training camp. phillips started whining and was cut.
Originally posted by aman49:
Such a Paul thread...

Garner was a journeyman. Pretty good, but not elite. I used to like him a lot. I'd compare him to a Travis Henry or a Thomas Jones... consistent 1,000 yd back who was never considered a franchise player.

Where are the ugly chicks?
Garner was nice! I remember a game vs the Cowboys that he ran for over 2 bills. He was a baller.
As to the rest of the list Craig trumps Hearst and Watters. Can Terry Kirby get some love ? Lmao jp
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
IMO

1)Gore
2)Hearst
3)Watters
4)Craig
5)Perry

Originally posted by jones49:

Originally posted by TonyStarks:
IMO

1)Gore
2)Hearst
3)Watters
4)Craig
5)Perry

List seems pretty decent to me. I may sway Hearst for Watters but thats its own separate argument.

The reason I hate these lists is that most people rank guys they have never seen or barely remmber. You're going to tell me you've seen perry play? You're going to tell me that ricky watters was better than craig? On what basis? What about wendel tyler?

what about him?

Gore was our Marshall Faulk.

He can block, catch, and run.

Hearst could run, and catch.

Watters, Perry, and Craig could run.

Gore is the complete package.

Versatile and excellent in every form. He's in the twilight years, but he's still beastin.
Who really gives a crap about Garner? But, Mr. Starks, Craig could "run"? Craig, Roger Craig, had a season of 1000yds rushing AND receiving! And, maybe you weren't into football at the time, but, Roger Craig also BLOCKED for Wendell Tyler. OJ actually called that on a MNF that if The Niners featured Craig, the running game would be killer! (oops!)
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
He was a very entertaining runner with the 49ers with all of his spin moves and ability to catch the ball out of the backfield.

This. Was exciting watching him play
He was a human pinball, very fun to watch run and was productive while he was here.
Originally posted by niner_empire:
lawrence phillips was meant to be hearst's replacement until charlie beat him out for the job in training camp. phillips started whining and was cut.

not before missing a block in a certain MNF game in 1999 and automatically slashing 5 years off the tail end of the First 49ers Dynasty!

to be fair to Roger Craig, It's worth mentioning that he was one of the players who set the standrd for the way Marshall Faulk was used in the rams offense. Craig was the first to record 1000 yards rushing and 1000 yards receiving in a single season. His versatility helped change the way running backs play the game today and he did this all 10 years before Marshal Faulk.
If we're going to make a list, my list goes like this

1)Gore- if he stays healthy he'll be in the hall
2) Craig- if he doesn't fumble vs the Giants we would have another SB and he'd already be in the Hall!
3)Hearst- he suffered from too many injuries. 1 broken ankle away from being SB champs! We would of steam rolled through Minnesota and Denver (if he stayed healthy probably #1 or 2)
4) Waters- If he would of stayed with the 49ers he would of had less rushing yards, more recieving yards and at least 1 maybe more SB rings as well as make Hearst irelavent and a non niner. If he stayed a 49er, he would be #1. He was IMO better then Craig and Gore. If only Egos were put aside and money was shown we would of kept Deion and Ricky and extend our decade of dominance and collected a total of 8 to 10 SBs :-(
5) Garner- I loved him while he was here, hated him when he wasn't here. Aside from his time as a niner he was pretty much a under achiever

League of their own "Million Dollar Backfield" I never saw them but their myth is what legends are made of
Originally posted by solidg2000:
If we're going to make a list, my list goes like this

1)Gore- if he stays healthy he'll be in the hall
2) Craig- if he doesn't fumble vs the Giants we would have another SB and he'd already be in the Hall!
3)Hearst- he suffered from too many injuries. 1 broken ankle away from being SB champs! We would of steam rolled through Minnesota and Denver (if he stayed healthy probably #1 or 2)
4) Waters- If he would of stayed with the 49ers he would of had less rushing yards, more recieving yards and at least 1 maybe more SB rings as well as make Hearst irelavent and a non niner. If he stayed a 49er, he would be #1. He was IMO better then Craig and Gore. If only Egos were put aside and money was shown we would of kept Deion and Ricky and extend our decade of dominance and collected a total of 8 to 10 SBs :-(
5) Garner- I loved him while he was here, hated him when he wasn't here. Aside from his time as a niner he was pretty much a under achiever

League of their own "Million Dollar Backfield" I never saw them but their myth is what legends are made of

I love Gore, but he is not gonna make the Hall of Fame.
Originally posted by 4thn10:
to be fair to Roger Craig, It's worth mentioning that he was one of the players who set the standrd for the way Marshall Faulk was used in the rams offense. Craig was the first to record 1000 yards rushing and 1000 yards receiving in a single season. His versatility helped change the way running backs play the game today and he did this all 10 years before Marshal Faulk.

This. I pity the foo who doesn't respect Roger Craigs catching skills. And that foo is TonyStarks
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Ricky Watters has near HOF numbers guys. Check it out.
Ricky Watters was also a lousy Niner at a time when being a Niner meant something.

He was a better fit with the Eagles in the same way that Charles Haley was a better Cowboy. Both were good players, but neither were good Niners.
[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Dec 16, 2011 at 1:37 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone