There are 192 users in the forums

How do you remember Charlie Garner?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Paul
  • Veteran
Gore is considered the best we've had.... Hearst from what I remember could have been a top 5 back if it wasn't for his injuries (I loved watching him play). Rarely do I hear Garner being mentioned on here. He came in after the big injury to Hearst, and had 2 very productive years for us when we went 4-12 then 6-10 (1100 and 1200 yd seasons). How do you remember his 2 yrs for us, and why didn't we make much of an effort to resign him?
Garner spent his prime years with the Raiders and I resented him for that.
Such a Paul thread...

Garner was a journeyman. Pretty good, but not elite. I used to like him a lot. I'd compare him to a Travis Henry or a Thomas Jones... consistent 1,000 yd back who was never considered a franchise player.
No effort was made to resign him because Garrison was coming back from injury. Garner was good, but we didn't need a back of his caliber with Garrison back.
Originally posted by verb1der:

Actually his only two 1K yard seasons were his two in San Francisco. IIRC Oakland paid him handsomely as a free agent and we let him walk because Hearst got healthy.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
No effort was made to resign him because Garrison was coming back from injury. Garner was good, but we didn't need a back of his caliber with Garrison back.

Hearst was coming back from an injury no one thought he could. The Niners wanted to sign Charlie but he went for bigger money. There was no guarantee Hearst could even play.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Actually his only two 1K yard seasons were his two in San Francisco. IIRC Oakland paid him handsomely as a free agent and we let him walk because Hearst got healthy.

Yeah I think you're right. But still, he was a big factor in the Raiders Superbowl run, that made me a little bitter...
How do you remember Charlie Garner?

I get warm and fuzzy just thinking of his name. I was a preteen in his years here just developing my love for this game (and this team). He was a boss and I miss him dearly.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Yeah I think you're right. But still, he was a big factor in the Raiders Superbowl run, that made me a little bitter...

Looking back Garner definitely had more gas in the tank.
I remember him early in his career as an Eagle gashing us in that 40-8 home debacle in 1994.

He was a very entertaining runner with the 49ers with all of his spin moves and ability to catch the ball out of the backfield.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
Originally posted by aman49:
Such a Paul thread...

Garner was a journeyman. Pretty good, but not elite. I used to like him a lot. I'd compare him to a Travis Henry or a Thomas Jones... consistent 1,000 yd back who was never considered a franchise player.

Paul thread? Cmon...

I do recall him making some big plays his first year or 2 when in Oakland. By the time he went to TB he was pretty much done. So Hearst came back in 01 during our bounce back season, Barlow was his backup right?
IMO

1)Gore
2)Hearst
3)Watters
4)Craig
5)Perry
  • Paul
  • Veteran
Joe Perry footage is not really there and we haven't seen much of his play, though I've heard great things. I can only really remember from Hearst on so my comments don't really matter in that respect
I never saw Perry play. Except in highlights. Of those other players, I liked Craig the best. Better teams then, of course.
Share 49ersWebzone