LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

Why is Braylon Edwards still starting?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
On the radio broadcast Eric Davis said he spoke with Edwards and he said that he is hurt and won't be better until the offseason. I bet his shoulder and knee are screwed right now. I think Edwards is trying to tough it out, but he is doing more harm than good.
Originally posted by Handlesit:
On the radio broadcast Eric Davis said he spoke with Edwards and he said that he is hurt and won't be better until the offseason. I bet his shoulder and knee are screwed right now. I think Edwards is trying to tough it out, but he is doing more harm than good.

they should IR his ass
Originally posted by jreff22:

they should IR his ass

Sadly, I think Handlesit is right, he's currently doing more harm than good. And if he isn't going to be right until the offseason, well, yeah, the IR may be the right place for him.

What does old Mother Hubbard have in the cupboard, er, practice squad?
  • BROWN
  • Veteran
He wants to be out there, injuries are killing him, dude is on a contract year. That's allot of stuff going on... If the Niners say they'll offer him another 1 year contract, but well put you on IR so you can get healthy.. I think he agrees and says alright, that way he doesn't have to start
Originally posted by SFGem:
why are we even paying edwards?

at least its just 1 mil. its safe to say he wont reach his incentives ha
Originally posted by skeetskeet:
Oh you mean Braylon Edwards and his ONE season of over 1000 yards?

This x1000. What is with people, looking back fondly on the Braylon Edwards of 2007?? One good-ish year on a terrible team four years ago? What does that have to do with anything?

Watch the games folks. Watch him play. This guy can't win a single route. Maybe once upon a time he could get behind people, but right now I wouldn't favor him in a footrace against our backup LBs (no, that's not sarcasm). When he's on the field, the other team is happy to roll coverage into Crabtree and Davis and dare Alex to throw to him.

Maybe he's hurt. Maybe he's rusty. Maybe it's a chemistry thing with Alex. Maybe he's just lost it. Who cares? It's week 14. The time to work guys into the offense has long since passed. The 49ers' margin of error on offense is slim enough as it is without trying to ease in a balky WR for the stretch drive. We've given him plenty of chances to show us something, it's time to cut bait. Put him on IR or just stick him fifth in the WR depth chart and cut your losses.
Originally posted by SocalAgent0:
Originally posted by laughsatyou:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Originally posted by THEB:
Alex smith throws a perfect pass, ball hits edwards right in the elbow as he doesnt even look for the ball

Blame alex

Alex scrambles almost 30 yards back to keep the GAME alive, throws a very catchable pass to hunter to keep the game alive, hunter drops it

Blam alex

Alex gets sacked 2 times in a row and 5 times on the night

Blame alex

Alex throws a perfect pass to VD and it gets dropped

Blame it on alex

The refs muff the fake field goal/challenge flag situation

Blame alex.

Carlos Rodgers completely blows his coverage

Blame alex

Mailman f**ks your girlfriend.

Blame Alex.

Well... that WOULD be Smith's fault
Not looking forward to Monday night football...gonna be brutal, the league has figured out this "power running" game.. THE worst Red Zone Offense in football.. groovy man..
cept Alex Smith historically rules the redzone.

Alex throws a perfect deep ball to Ginn who has beaten coverage and then doesnt know where a football would come from

Blame Alex

Alex throws a perfect fade to Ginn who gets 2 hands on it *albeit a difficult catch* and he drops it

Blame Alex

He's not perfect, but I still dont get why everyone wants to foot all the blame on Alex...

Ginn drop
Hunter drop
bad call to allow challenge by officals
defence allows 2 bombs to fitz and ducett for td's and another one to get them into red zone...
akers misses field goal

it was a tough game, we lost, everyone needs to get ready for monday and look at how the TEAM lost, not 1 player

Alex throws a short pass to Gore, which ends up going straight to the dirt 5-feet in front of the intended target.

Blame the offensive line.

Alex holds the ball too long because his 1st and 2nd option aren't WIDE OPEN, making him uncomfortable throwing the receiver open. Sack.

Alex throws the ball behind Crabtree on a slant, making it a difficult catch for any WR.

Blame the receiver. And the offensive line.

Alex throws to the under route on 3rd-and-11 for an 8-yard gain because the receiver running the 12-yard route wasn't open by a 4-yard margin, making Alex uncomfortable with the target.

Blame the play calling. And the offensive line.

This stuff goes both ways. There are people who want to blame everything on Alex and there are people who want to blame absolutely nothing on Alex. I give Alex credit when he does well, but I am not going to search for an excuse when he plays poorly. He played a bad game against Arizona and I refuse to blame everyone EXCEPT Alex, like some people are doing. He contributed to the loss. Period. Other guys messed up too and when people point that out, nobody cares, but the second someone points out a flaw in Alex's game the excuses come pouring in.

The bottom line is I want Alex to succeed as much as anyone, but he has not shown the ability to be a top QB. I don't care what his QB rating is or how few INTs he's thrown this season. Harbaugh isn't asking him to do much. Even when he is allowed to throw 30+ times in a game, it seems like the training wheels are still on and the called plays aren't asking him to do what Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning or Phillip Rivers are asked to do. Hell, even Eli Manning, Matt Schaub, Matt Ryan, etc. (2nd-tier QBs, basically) can do some of the things we very rarely see from Alex, like throwing a receiver open. These guys can throw the ball anticipating the receiver being able to get to it even when they aren't open at that moment. Alex needs to see his target have at least a step on the defender for him to feel comfortable making the throw, otherwise he holds the ball. These are things GOOD QBs do, and Alex does not do it often. I realize the first thing people are gonna do is blame the receivers for this, but what's new?
[ Edited by 49erRider on Dec 12, 2011 at 8:07 AM ]
ehh guys...no one is perfect...there will be drops/there will be overthrows/there will be timing issues...granted we didn't play well yesterday but the conversation today is completely ridiculous..
OfficialBraylon Braylon Edwards
" It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light."- Aristotle Onassis /got the day off but I'm still going in for work

I hope he is going to work with Alex on their timing
Did Edwards even catch a pass yesterday? I don't recall.

Originally posted by skeetskeet:
Oh you mean Braylon Edwards and his ONE season of over 1000 yards?

Lol
Thank you!

Stupid thread, I agree putting some blame on Alex , but not with a dumbass argument like the one used to start this thread.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by jreff22:

they should IR his ass

Sadly, I think Handlesit is right, he's currently doing more harm than good. And if he isn't going to be right until the offseason, well, yeah, the IR may be the right place for him.

What does old Mother Hubbard have in the cupboard, er, practice squad?

Joe Hastings and John Matthews.

Originally posted by valrod33:
OfficialBraylon Braylon Edwards
" It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light."- Aristotle Onassis /got the day off but I'm still going in for work

I hope he is going to work with Alex on their timing

I kinda think Alex threw that ball with the intent of "HEY IDIOT TURN AROUND, CATCH THIS AND YOU'D GET US A FIRST DOWN!" lol.

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
We need serious wide receivers that don't drop balls and are aware of the situation. We also need a tight end that will catch critical passes.

i think the team may try to trade vernon, save money to resign important players, and draft one in the draft.

I would love to get a tall, natural pass-catching TE to compliment Vernon. Trading Vernon would be a bizarre move to me. We have are 1st winning season in 9 years....why would we trade a proven Pro Bowl player for an unknown quantity? We are not rebuilding, we are ready to compete NOW. Hold on to as many good players as we can.

Trading VD could very well happen because like you say we aren't "rebuilding" but we are "restructuring". Remember our offensive philosophy is a team effort and doesn't hinge on anyone player being a "superstar" If trading away a top 10 TE gets us a quality WR or DB plus 2 high draft picks I bet we do it. Especially when players like Coby Fleener, Orson Charles, Drake Dunsmore, LaDarius Green, available in the draft. But to prove we don't need a rebuild, the talent that has been on our roster for the last 2 or 3 years plus competent coaching gave us a double digit win total even though we only had "camp alex" and 5 weeks of training camp at the same time as preseason. Now that JH and Baalke have seen all these players for a full season they'll definitely be making some more changes to get the team to the exact personel that they want. Getting Whitner, Rogers, Edwards, and Goodwin plus resigning Ray Mac was pretty much a miracle given what could've happened. Our DBs and OL could look pretty different come April.

In terms of WRs - If the last few games are a true barometer of our style and play calling we no longer need a #1 WR via the draft. Crabtree has finally emerged as the true #1 target of Alex. We will definitely be drafting a redzone threat in the draft to like someone says above rotate with Josh Morgan given the game situations. KW has earned the slot role and should be incorporated in more often, possibly as the #2 when we're in the open field to utilize his speed. Ginn should be resigned to a comprable deal as the #5/KR, short of Devin Hester he's the best returner in football.

I know it's just WalterFootball but they have both Criner and Fuller sliding to the 3-4 round range. Lance Lewis and Derek Moye are also very viable options with a round 5-6 range. If we go WR on Day 1 we should be right around Michael Floyd. To me drafting any of these guys seems a better bet then resigning Edwards who hasn't done anything to improve our team, if we could land a WR in free agency I'd absolutely hope we could pry Marques Colston away from the saints, he's a monster and definitely fits the bill as physical, capable blocker that runs routes really well.
[ Edited by sfout on Dec 12, 2011 at 11:59 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Alex throws a short pass to Gore, which ends up going straight to the dirt 5-feet in front of the intended target.

Alex holds the ball too long because his 1st and 2nd option aren't WIDE OPEN, making him uncomfortable throwing the receiver open. Sack.

Alex throws the ball behind Crabtree on a slant, making it a difficult catch for any WR.

Blame the receiver. And the offensive line.

Alex throws to the under route on 3rd-and-11 for an 8-yard gain because the receiver running the 12-yard route wasn't open by a 4-yard margin, making Alex uncomfortable with the target.

Blame the play calling. And the offensive line.

This stuff goes both ways. There are people who want to blame everything on Alex and there are people who want to blame absolutely nothing on Alex. I give Alex credit when he does well, but I am not going to search for an excuse when he plays poorly. He played a bad game against Arizona and I refuse to blame everyone EXCEPT Alex, like some people are doing. He contributed to the loss. Period. Other guys messed up too and when people point that out, nobody cares, but the second someone points out a flaw in Alex's game the excuses come pouring in.

The bottom line is I want Alex to succeed as much as anyone, but he has not shown the ability to be a top QB. I don't care what his QB rating is or how few INTs he's thrown this season. Harbaugh isn't asking him to do much. Even when he is allowed to throw 30+ times in a game, it seems like the training wheels are still on and the called plays aren't asking him to do what Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning or Phillip Rivers are asked to do. Hell, even Eli Manning, Matt Schaub, Matt Ryan, etc. (2nd-tier QBs, basically) can do some of the things we very rarely see from Alex, like throwing a receiver open. These guys can throw the ball anticipating the receiver being able to get to it even when they aren't open at that moment. Alex needs to see his target have at least a step on the defender for him to feel comfortable making the throw, otherwise he holds the ball. These are things GOOD QBs do, and Alex does not do it often. I realize the first thing people are gonna do is blame the receivers for this, but what's new?
Great post!
Originally posted by Kense:
He's been pretty good on his other teams, you really think it's all his fault? You really think crabtree is a bust too? Bolden is slower than them both and with the right qb gets it done. But how dare you think the QB has something to do with their lack of production. It's never smiths fault right?

Braylon has never been hurt like this before. If you can't see that he isn't running well and can't catch a cold, I dunno what to tell you.
Braylon has always had the reputation for dropping balls.

and he's injured.

and being outplayed by Kyle Williams.

Braylon should be on the bench, because he doesn't help the team when he's out there. Simple as that.
Share 49ersWebzone