LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 257 users in the forums

Why does VD shy away from contact?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
When he catches the ball in stride, and the stops completely to make a move, I almost punch my TV. Use that 246 lb 4.4 running frame and continue your momentum forward! He runs like Barry Sanders in a Nigerian Nightmare (Akoye) frame.
I think he just needs to be taught how to run with the ball. If he doesn't like to run people over, then he should at least try to develop a nice stiff arm.

I'm more annoyed with the fact that he doesn't like to run through catches and when he is in a position to run through a catch, he drops it.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
I know I may catch a lot of flack for pointing this out but I have noticed that VD will try to; jump over, run around, juke, spin, leap, and sometimes jump on the ground like the WR's from "the greatest show on turf". Why is he such a P$$Y? On sound FX PWillis was even telling him "they say you won't get physical" "lower your shoulder and run somebody over"! His reply "I got you" and then he shyed away the entire game!

He will block (upclose contact), but when it comes to full speed contact he turns into a mouse.

I have noticed this for a long time now (since he was a rookie), he goes down on first contact unless you try to pull him down from behind.
We need a smash mouth TE that can catch the ball in the flat break a tackle and pick up first downs and short yardage TD's!

When he was getting the downfield yards, we were losing. So the answer isn't to send him on a streak route every play.

Thank's for letting me vent...

Your thoughts?

Everything you say is accurate. I've also made this observation, but many refuse to acknowledge what seems obvious. He's only hard to take down when tacklers are draped on him, but when they go for the jarring hit, down he goes, quite a bit easier than you'd think a guy of his stature and strength should. You forgot to mention the alligator arming or easing up on a route when it appears he's going to take a big hit. Sorry, but there are a number of TE's that are far more the complete package than Vernon. There's no arguing he's a great blocker, but with his size and strength, he should also be a dangerous runner (staright ahead, no juking, since he's not very agile or quick), and let's not forget the tendency for drops. I like Vernon, but have always felt he was vastly overrated, and with the exception of that one great receiving year, believed we did not get our money's worth for where he aws picked in the draft.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
I know I may catch a lot of flack for pointing this out but I have noticed that VD will try to; jump over, run around, juke, spin, leap, and sometimes jump on the ground like the WR's from "the greatest show on turf". Why is he such a P$$Y? On sound FX PWillis was even telling him "they say you won't get physical" "lower your shoulder and run somebody over"! His reply "I got you" and then he shyed away the entire game!

He will block (upclose contact), but when it comes to full speed contact he turns into a mouse.

I have noticed this for a long time now (since he was a rookie), he goes down on first contact unless you try to pull him down from behind.
We need a smash mouth TE that can catch the ball in the flat break a tackle and pick up first downs and short yardage TD's!

When he was getting the downfield yards, we were losing. So the answer isn't to send him on a streak route every play.

Your thoughts?

Everything you say is accurate. I've also made this observation, but many refuse to acknowledge what seems obvious. He's only hard to take down when tacklers are draped on him, but when they go for the jarring hit, down he goes, quite a bit easier than you'd think a guy of his stature and strength should. You forgot to mention the alligator arming or easing up on a route when it appears he's going to take a big hit. Sorry, but there are a number of TE's that are far more the complete package than Vernon. There's no arguing he's a great blocker, but with his size and strength, he should also be a dangerous runner (staright ahead, no juking, since he's not very agile or quick), and let's not forget the tendency for drops. I like Vernon, but have always felt he was vastly overrated, and with the exception of that one great receiving year, believed we did not get our money's worth for where he aws picked in the draft.

Yeah overrated.

965 yards and 13 TDs.

900 + yards and 7 TDs.

2 years in a row. 20 TDs in 2 years. More than any TE in the game. Tied for the lead of all WRs and TEs. Yup overrated. He's terrible.....
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Dec 8, 2011 at 2:59 PM ]
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
It seems to me that he has shy'd away from contact since he signed his new contact in 2010
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Your thoughts?

Yeah overrated.

965 yards and 13 TDs.

900 + yards and 7 TDs.

2 years in a row. 20 TDs in 2 years. More than any TE in the game. Tied for the lead of all WRs and TEs. Yup overrated. He's terrible.....

you defend VD way too much

just because someone is a good player and produces doesn't mean they have no flaws

he avoids contact when running after the catch, thats just how it is and we have all seen the drops
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Your thoughts?

Yeah overrated.

965 yards and 13 TDs.

900 + yards and 7 TDs.

In terms of toughness, which what a TE is suppose to be, I think Davis is. Not saying hes not good, because hes one of the best in the game, but shying away from contact will make you somewhat overrated.
Originally posted by RonMexico:

Your thoughts?

Yeah overrated.

965 yards and 13 TDs.

900 + yards and 7 TDs.

just because someone is a good player and produces doesn't mean they have no flaws

he avoids contact when running after the catch, thats just how it is and we have all seen the drops

He doesn't avoid contact. He's physical. He can drop the ball sometimes. But he's better at that than in years past too. He can have some horrific drops like the TD in the last game.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
It's because he's gay.
He still ranks high when it comes to YAC, and that's all that matters. IDC how he gets them, as long as he gets them.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Your thoughts?

Yeah overrated.

965 yards and 13 TDs.

900 + yards and 7 TDs.

He doesn't avoid contact. He's physical. He can drop the ball sometimes. But he's better at that than in years past too. He can have some horrific drops like the TD in the last game.

Seriously SanDiego, the evidence is right above this thread, see for yourself.
Why does he need to bowl ppl over? He's basically a WR who can block lineman. He's fast, elusive, and he uses his large stature when boxing out for catches and running lanes for his routes.

Doesn't everyone remember VD being possibly moved to WR b/c he was faster than any of our WRs and has the best hands on the team? We don't need a Witten (would be nice, but not needed), Ballard or a Boss; VD is in the mold of Tony Gonzalez, Kellen Winslow Jr., Jeremy Shockey, and Jermichael Finley, big WRs who can block and outrun LBs, so play TE.

It also doesn't mean he can't produce more. IMHO, VD is underperforming consider his physical attributes.
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
Why does he need to bowl ppl over? He's basically a WR who can block lineman. He's fast, elusive, and he uses his large stature when boxing out for catches and running lanes for his routes.

Doesn't everyone remember VD being possibly moved to WR b/c he was faster than any of our WRs and has the best hands on the team? We don't need a Witten (would be nice, but not needed), Ballard or a Boss; VD is in the mold of Tony Gonzalez, Kellen Winslow Jr., Jeremy Shockey, and Jermichael Finley, big WRs who can block and outrun LBs, so play TE.

This. It can be done many ways. I'd say 20 TD's and 1900 yards or so in 2 years is working. Why over analyze so much? You can do it with speed. Gates bangs into people because he is clunky and slow and fat. VD is way faster than him and would run circles around Gates. So you can do it different ways. VD's way is fine. He just needs to work with the jugs machine more like in the past.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Joecool:

It also doesn't mean he can't produce more. IMHO, VD is underperforming consider his physical attributes.

Bingo!!! I agree Joe!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone