LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

ALDON SMITH SPRINT TO THE SIDELINES

Shop Find 49ers gear online
EXACTLY Hearstfan!

It's cool that you respectfully disagree Karma. But what you should understand is that you are wrong in this instance! Parays Haralson was drafted to rush the QB from the OLB position on Nolan's team NOT Manny Lawson. Once again the assumption from observers outside of the organization and fans who listened to them thought that that was why he was drafted which is incorrect. Like Hearstfan stated Nolan/McCloughan drafted Manny Lawson to replace Julian Peterson who wanted to get paid like a QB for playing DE, LB, CB, & a lil S (Tony Parrish was hurt if I recall correctly) in a game (against seattle in 02/03 before he tore his ACL) and because of durability concerns they refused to pay him top dollar so he left as a UFA and went to, wait for it.......Seattle! Manny Lawson is multi-demisional player. He played on both ST units and has blocked punts and FG's and made many score saving tackles on those units and he played the run very well. Since he Nolan & staff weren't good at teaching technique and didn't preach/practice repetition it's hard to expect any one particular player to learn one thing well enough become what he envisioned them to be! Had the 49ers kept Manny Lawson the pass defense would be much better than it is and Shawntae Spencer wouldn't be wasting a roster spot!
In a surprise move, Roger Goodell is levying a $10,000 fine for Aldon Smith's sack celebration because he used the bench as a prop.
Has there ever been a better sack celebration?
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
he better not do that s**t on a 2nd down sack.
Originally posted by nickbradley:

The end of this would be a perfect "deal with it".

I can't think of a better sack celebration ever. I was dying when he did that.
  • BROWN
  • Veteran
I LOVE Watching my young dudes kill it!! YESSS ALDON!
  • World
  • Veteran
Originally posted by foundone:
where was that Robert Quinn guy at that everyone wanted us to get? Trent had a great draft glad he didn't read into the pre draft hype. Loved the setting the helmet down sideline celebration aswell

Not that I'm not loving Aldon, but Quinn has 5 sacks for the hapless St. Louis Rams, including 4 in the 5 games leading up to this weekend. So he has hardly been a bust.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

oh, someone has to do this.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:

Yes, please.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
That whole play was amazing. I burst into laughter seeing Ahmad Brooks run over the Ram lineman before Aldon got that sack.

Glad you pointed this out!!! Fangio had Aldon rush from the SAM and Brooks rushed inside (maybe the WILL). He played Brooks EXACTLY like Merriman whereby he started standing up, off the LOS and at snap, rushed and got full momentum and just STEAMROLLED right over the linemen to the QB; if Aldon didn't get him first, Brooks would have. And THAT is what I've been waiting for all year...creating mismatches with these two, moving them around and playing off each other. There isn't much you can't do with both...you can line them up and rush them from anywhere. And with the versatility of Willis and Bowman, this is a very special group.

Originally posted by Wodwo:

Yes, please.

Definitely needs a deal with it or haters gonna hate
Originally posted by NCommand:
Glad you pointed this out!!! Fangio had Aldon rush from the SAM and Brooks rushed inside (maybe the WILL). He played Brooks EXACTLY like Merriman whereby he started standing up, off the LOS and at snap, rushed and got full momentum and just STEAMROLLED right over the linemen to the QB; if Aldon didn't get him first, Brooks would have. And THAT is what I've been waiting for all year...creating mismatches with these two, moving them around and playing off each other. There isn't much you can't do with both...you can line them up and rush them from anywhere. And with the versatility of Willis and Bowman, this is a very special group.

AND, it's only going to get better! Been sayin' it since Fangio came over. He will make this LB squad incredible!

Oh, and I got my two Nom Noms, one yesterday and one today when I get home.

...a Non Nom a day keeps the Doc away!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Goodell is gonna fine him for that because he had too much fun.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Originally posted by Wodwo:

Yes, please.

Definitely needs a deal with it or haters gonna hate
i think he was trying to get the seat first before there wasnt any place for him to sit lol
Originally posted by Karma:
Originally posted by The49erfan:
Originally posted by brizznasty:
And now for Manny Lawson's sack total this year.......

Manny Lawson lack of success as a pass-rusher has more to do with how Nolan taught him and how he used him on the field. Mike Nolan had Manny Lawson focusing on coverage skills, since after all he was converting from DE to OLB and covering TE's, RB's & FB's out of the backfield is a big part of an OLB in a 3-4's job!

People who complain about his so-called lack of pass rushing skills need to realize that Manny Lawson wasn't drafted to be an every down pass-rusher, it was assumed that that's why he was drafted. But Nolan saw him as a part-time pass-rusher/part-time DB which in fact equals OLB in most 3-4 schemes!

Keep in mind, that Nolan ran a hybrid 3-4 defense which had no real structure or foundation. He said that he wanted the defense to adapt and be able adjust to the opposing team's offense on the fly instead of concentrating on making his defense dictate to them what they could run play wise! That's where that bend-but-don't break mind-set came into to play and the players weren't really held accountable when they made mistakes nor taught how to correct said mistake!

Just take into account what Adam Snyder has been doing since last year once he started playing OG exclusively! That makes a huge difference in a player's development, but I guess that's lost on most fans!

That's why players never knew where they were supposed to line-up any given play lead to a lack of communication and continuity. There are articles that state how Nolan never harped on the little details like Harbaugh & Co. do! It was said that they would work on play 2-3 times and whether or not it was executed properly didn't matter, they would move on to something else. In that scenario a team has no plays that they can hang their hat on because there's no one play that they know inside/out and can execute to near perfection because they don't practice any particular play that way!

I respectfully disagree. I was a fan of Manny Lawson from the day we drafted him and always held out hope that he was going to "get it" at some point. Essentially, your argument is that Nolan ruined him with practicing coverage and playing a hybrid 3-4. Both of those were excuses fans bought into to rationalize the fact that they liked Manny. The truth is he did many things well:

- He covered VERY well for a converted DE. He had the speed to stay with most skill players and the length to make plays on the ball or simply make the QB look elsewhere.
- He controlled the edge in the run game. Runs to the outside were easily swallowed up. Manny had a reputation as soft but he was a fantastic run stuffer. Just look at how much better the Bengals have gotten against the run.
- He is an intelligent football player and seemed to always be in the right position which is crucial for young players. (He was young when we got him!)

Now, the reason he was mocked so mercilessly on this board is that he was drafted to be an OLB in the 3-4 which means that most of the pass rush needed to come from that position. Yes, OLBs were required to cover and run stuff, but the defensive scheme is build around three DTs that take up blockers so the OLB can speed around the edge and pressure the QB. Manny could never do this. Time and time again you would see him go up against a LT, a TE, or a RB one-on-one and get shut down. Even when he lead the team in sacks it was more an insult to the other players that could not surpass his mediocre numbers. I wish him luck but he is better off in a 4-3 system.

I'd still take Manny over Parys Haralson anyday. Can u imagine how athletic our LB core would be? WOW
Share 49ersWebzone