LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 278 users in the forums

Is our offense playoff ready or do we need some serious help.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by backontop:
Our OLine needs some serious help in blocking and our receivers need to start catching passes. I understand that QB's will miss a few passes every now and then but today Alex missed a wide open Ginn twice! Either way Alex needs to capitalize on those opportunities. Also our redzone playcalling needs to improve this run 3 times in a row and kick a fg crap needs to go!

not an excuse but Iupati had penalties on both of those throws, they wouldn't of counted
Originally posted by jreff22:
Our OLine needs some serious help in blocking and our receivers need to start catching passes. I understand that QB's will miss a few passes every now and then but today Alex missed a wide open Ginn twice! Either way Alex needs to capitalize on those opportunities. Also our redzone playcalling needs to improve this run 3 times in a row and kick a fg crap needs to go!

not an excuse but Iupati had penalties on both of those throws, they wouldn't of counted

Oh I know they wouldn't have counted in today's game but in the playoffs they need to be completions. Ginn's speed is something is something that has to be exploited! Stretch the field
Originally posted by jreff22:

Oh I know they wouldn't have counted in today's game but in the playoffs they need to be completions. Ginn's speed is something is something that has to be exploited! Stretch the field

deeper issue is we shoot ourselves in the foot....need the drops to stop, need the misses by Alex to stop, and definitely need the penalties to stop. The connection is hard enough by itself, having it called back for a bs penalty is inexcusable
VD needs to make the simple catches. At times he makes some tough ones, but the gimme's he has to haul in. He also needs to run over little DB's. No more trying to hop over them or getting arm tackled on the first attempt.

Kendall needs more work to give Frank a rest and to just get Kendall more involved.

We need to let Kyle use his speed in the slot and become our version of Welker. He has also looks like he has good hands so if Alex can keep his passes down he could be a weapon.

The right side of the line still needs more work. Snyder was an upgrade, but both he and Davis may be working out some injuries.
I see very little to complain about here. We're 10-2. NFC West Champs. Probably the 2nd seed in the playoffs.

Who woulda thunk it?
  • vaden
  • Veteran
We need serious help. I feel much worse about our offense now than I did after the Ravens game, because at least that was an elite defense and we were screwed by the schedulers. No excuse for OL to be manhandled by the Lambs. Alex played great, Crabs and Williams are on the rise but we won't beat anyone in the playoffs if the OL doesn't improve.
Originally posted by dtmoney49er:
It seems like teams have found weakness in our o-line and they are gonna take advantage of it. Even if we upgrade our offense , it starts with the line

Agree, But we've spent 3 First, Countless Second rounders and got a probowl center via free agency. How many more high picks will we us in hopes to improve this unit. But having a impact Wr we'd have to trade up for blackmon, he's the only guy that screems Megatron type play maker! Someone Frame him for a crime so we can have a deep guy.
Gore said it best when asked about watching the playoffs on TV the past few years. When he watched he thought that the 9ers were just as talented, played some of these same teams tough and why can't they peak at the right moment...as in the playoffs? The offense is imposing their will more and more as the year goes by, and that is without two of their best receivers.

When I watched Crabtree and Williams to day it dawned on me that the 9ers have so many weapons they can't use them all every week. I'm not sure the 9ers of the 80s had this many weapons! Gore, Hunter and Miller in the backfield; VD and Walker at TE; Crabtree, Williams, Ginn and (hopefully) Edwards at WR. Throw in coaches who have an irreverent view of trying anything and you have the makings of an explosive offense!
  • SFGem
  • Veteran
we should try a play action pass in the red zone. our red zone play calling is super predictable. why not a roll out play and let alex either run it in or pass it. seems like we're scared to pass in the red zone. everyone knows its gonna be a run when we send sopoaga in the huddle in the red zone.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
dtg - you know I almost always agree with you bud, but here I have a hard time... The offense can't start "slow" in the play-offs against a hot team. They just can't. We can't run idle for an entire half, expect our D to keep us in every game, get a turnover to repeatedly give the offense a short field. It's not just going to work every week. We look good against 2nd and 3rd string QBs but the team MUST learn to cash in it's scoring opportunities.

Teams are going to stop the run (or at least limit it) at least for a half. The 49ers must game-plan a solid, convincing, competent passing offense. Passes can't be repeatedly dropped. The OL can't have a brain fart for 30 mins. Play-calling can't keep trying to force-feed an expected receiver. Yes, we have a lot of great chess pieces on the board, I just don't like how we play them at times. If you know the opposing D is going to focus on VD, don't try to feature him first. Feature Williams, feature Ginn. Get these guys involved in the game early. When defenses adjust, then go back to VD, Walker, and Crabtree with some Gore/Hunter. It seems like the creativity that we saw previously has evaporated. There are serious concerns with scoring - and what we've seen of the last few games, there have been lapses in execution. Until that gets fixed, the 49ers will find it difficult to go far in the play-offs.

Don't disagree with you at all! Just hope that these problems will be worked on over the next four weeks and the offense will continue to improve. The passing game took a huge leap this week, completing passes with ease. Some will say this is possible only against the Rams but their D is decent, mid level by stats. Sadly, the offense may not bloom until next year with a full round of minicamps and TC. You are correct about the drops! They have to be reduced as the playoffs are much more tense and drops will kill any chances. Don't know how mentally tough our players are until they get to the playoffs.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 5, 2011 at 9:57 AM ]

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
dtg - you know I almost always agree with you bud, but here I have a hard time... The offense can't start "slow" in the play-offs against a hot team. They just can't. We can't run idle for an entire half, expect our D to keep us in every game, get a turnover to repeatedly give the offense a short field. It's not just going to work every week. We look good against 2nd and 3rd string QBs but the team MUST learn to cash in it's scoring opportunities.

Teams are going to stop the run (or at least limit it) at least for a half. The 49ers must game-plan a solid, convincing, competent passing offense. Passes can't be repeatedly dropped. The OL can't have a brain fart for 30 mins. Play-calling can't keep trying to force-feed an expected receiver. Yes, we have a lot of great chess pieces on the board, I just don't like how we play them at times. If you know the opposing D is going to focus on VD, don't try to feature him first. Feature Williams, feature Ginn. Get these guys involved in the game early. When defenses adjust, then go back to VD, Walker, and Crabtree with some Gore/Hunter. It seems like the creativity that we saw previously has evaporated. There are serious concerns with scoring - and what we've seen of the last few games, there have been lapses in execution. Until that gets fixed, the 49ers will find it difficult to go far in the play-offs.

Don't disagree with you at all! Just hope that these problems will be worked on over the next four weeks and the offense will continue to improve. The passing game took a huge leap this week, completing passes with ease. Some will say this is possible only against the Rams but their D is decent, mid level by stats. Sadly, the offense may not bloom until next year with a full round of minicamps and TC. You are correct about the drops! They have to be reduced as the playoffs are much more tense and drops will kill any chances. Don't know how mentally tough our players are until they get to the playoffs.

QB needs to be more accurate on the deep balls and not miss opportunities to throw the ball to open receivers. Personally, I don't think this happens until next year. However, I do think JH will implement GREAT game plans come playoff time.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

QB needs to be more accurate on the deep balls and not miss opportunities to throw the ball to open receivers. Personally, I don't think this happens until next year. However, I do think JH will implement GREAT game plans come playoff time.

is this all you do, go into every thread and say the same stupid s**t
Utilizing Smith's athletic ability; roll outs, boot legs, etc, could really help that.....
[ Edited by enker1700 on Dec 5, 2011 at 10:52 AM ]
Although a full off-season and TC will help this offense immensely, fact is, we have done enough this year in order for this offense to truly be feared. Why do I say that? How many points have we left out there this season? This offense has so many near misses, it's unbelievable. You watch QBs from other teams come in and hit almost immediately (TJ Yates big pass to Andre Johnson for example). I'm not looking for multiple 300 yard, 3 TD games, but at the end of the day, our players, this season have to execute. The opportunities have been there and we have more than enough weapons THIS season to give any defensive coordinator fits. We have enough players at the skill positions where defenses should be worried about giving any one player too much attention. No one player or unit (offensive line) is to blame for this. We simply need to take what if given to us, on a more consistent basis, and in the passing game, we have been given a lot this season.
if we get the running game back to midseason form, we'll be fine.
Share 49ersWebzone