There are 228 users in the forums

Playoff Scenarios

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
all i wanted to do was to agree with english on our quarterback thing
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by English:
Ok I am getting sick of this foolishness. Kaepernick is in his 3rd season and has started 17 games. There are 16 games in a season. No one, not Harbaugh, not Baalke, no one is in a position to know if he is the answer. Last year it looked as though he was, this year not so much. But quarterbacks take time to develop.

But one thing I am sure of. Colt is not the answer. So starting him would be foolish, even if we have been eliminated. The only way Colt starts is if Kaep gets injured.

You suggest that we can find a starting qb in free agency. No. Won't happen. We may be able to pick up a developmental prospect, but we are not going to be able to find an affordable starting qb who can be bolted in and take us to next year's Super Bowl. The only option if Kaep fails, and we are at least a year off finding that out, is through the draft. As we need to replace, imv, both of our back up quarterbacks I believe we will be actively searching in next year's draft. But this will not mean that Kaep is finished.

So let's be a little more sensible on the subject of quarterbacks.
agree. ck has not played well at times but he has also had plenty of help from his coaches to his "weapons'. but he has done nothing to lose his job and when you consider the guys behind him, that should just end all of silly blather right there. i would like to think the only people to really think he should be benched as those who say it in the heat of the game when we are having our lovely 30 second roman drives. as english said, the only thing that will be replaced or should be replaced next year is our entire backup quarterback situation. for the few who actually really think ck should be replaced,, do you really really think things would get better if we threw colt or whoever in there?? good lord people. i am not pleased with the offense and how we play vs good teams but even i know where the line is

You know things are bad when people are looking to Colt McCoy as the solution to our offensive struggles.

Kap is going through a critical phase of his development which is becoming a better decision maker. His athleticism is already established, he has the burners, he has the arm strength to make even the most difficult NFL throws. But he must make better decisions to be successful and once he overcomes that part, I think he can become the good QB we all believe he is/can be. He's still developing , he needs more time but throwing Kap under the bus and screaming for another QB already after barely a year of being our starting QB makes you a spoiled bandwagonner in my eyes.

And with that being said, Kap's struggles are not the end of our offensive woes. Matter of fact, as many fans and analysts alike are speculating, I think the coaches are holding him (and many others) back and not fully unleashing him. Fear of him getting hurt, lack of trust in the backup QBs ? And Roman has been plain awful this year, it's like Jimmy Raye is back in the booth calling the plays. Personally, I think blame should be distributed as followed:

1. Roman's play calling/game planning/remedial passing schemes/failure to make adjustments, utilize talent, etc
2. Bad QB play, poor decisions made by Kap
3. Lack of WR talent/weapons
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Nov 24, 2013 at 9:07 AM ]
Cardinals, Cowboys, and Bears will all lose today
[ Edited by ninerfan4life on Nov 24, 2013 at 9:11 AM ]
The truth of the matter is if we were 6-4 and the Seahawks were 4-6, no one would give a damn about CK7's play at QB.
My only hope is we pull a Baltimore or a NY Giants and get hot just at the right time and fly through the Playoffs to win the Superbowl.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
neons bullet points are spot on. I realize i hate roman alot so maybe my judgement is clouded . Sometimes i wonder if ck's awkward body language, hesitation etc when he struggles is a direct result of him not having a clue what roman is calling or knowing what roman wants. It is nice that professionals like gore just say that the defense of the foe deserves credit but we all know that is code word for "roman has not a f**king clue what to do and how to adjust to teams who know what to do with us". furthermore, if that is the case, than god damn JH for not stepping in here and just allowing the titanic to keep sailing right to that ice berg. despite roman we are still afloat but can not survive another or or two hits. we are starting to run out of water tight compartments
Originally posted by cciowa:
neons bullet points are spot on. I realize i hate roman alot so maybe my judgement is clouded . Sometimes i wonder if ck's awkward body language, hesitation etc when he struggles is a direct result of him not having a clue what roman is calling or knowing what roman wants. It is nice that professionals like gore just say that the defense of the foe deserves credit but we all know that is code word for "roman has not a f**king clue what to do and how to adjust to teams who know what to do with us". furthermore, if that is the case, than god damn JH for not stepping in here and just allowing the titanic to keep sailing right to that ice berg. despite roman we are still afloat but can not survive another or or two hits. we are starting to run out of water tight compartments

I have a pretty good article that can explain why Kap appears confused at times:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000285876/article/robert-griffin-iii-colin-kaepernick-facing-similar-growing-pains

So yes, I'm sure part of Kap's confusion comes from defenses adjusting to him and the pistol offense - he's probably seeing things that he's not use to and as a result, he's going to need to make better decisions, make adjustments to his mental aspects of the game and make room for improvement in all of he following areas: a) reading/picking apart defenses b) seeing the entire (not half) field and c) becoming a proficient pocket passer, to be a successful NFL QB.

So while Roman isn't totally off the hook, he can be much better and improve himself regardless, I am getting a better understanding of Kap's struggles. I think he's in good hands under Harbs and as Mike Shanahan said, the transition for Kap and RG3 isn't going to happen over night, it's going to require a lot of time, repetition, and practice. If they're motivated and work hard enough, they'll be fine (well, I'm sure Kap will. RG3's health and durability is still in question).
The Redskins game will tell a lot.

We need to see improvement in:

A). Better play calling; the quality of the plays AND getting the plays off fast before the clock winds down to "waste-a-timeout" situation.

B). Kap able to hit 2nd and 3rd reads [he'll need pass protection]

C). MUCH less on the 3 & outs.

I'm sure you all have others to add but IMO we better get better on offense in a big hurry.
Bears and det lost .. good sign. Now lets go colts
Originally posted by LESLEE415:

Not worried about the Cards. We just have to beat them. If we don't, we don't deserve the playoffs.

LOL @ AFC 6th seed. Steelers are currently in that spot at 5-6.
Originally posted by niners94:

Not worried about the Cards. We just have to beat them. If we don't, we don't deserve the playoffs.

This
Originally posted by niners94:

Yep, if we have to worry about the Cards, then we are not going to the playoffs anyways.
We should worry about the Cards, and even the Rams for that matter. Sorry to say, but this is NOT the same team from the last two seasons - well at least on offense.

Both the Cards and Rams, their defense is no joke and their offenses are getting a lot more done than ours can say. They are getting better too. Hopefully Roman will make our offense "pop" like he says because if we continue to regress, play offs don't look likely.
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Nov 24, 2013 at 2:25 PM ]
One Game at a time. If we do deserve to get in then we'll get in. If we continue to falter and choke then we better have a good draft and a couple nice offseason signings.
Share 49ersWebzone