LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 451 users in the forums

How high is the bar?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How high is the bar?

I would say at this point of the season, the way we are playing and with the record we have, we have to start seriously considering this team to be Superbowl contenders. For me, anything less than a NFC Championship game appearance would be unacceptable.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Not sure how to answer that, but I certainly dont feel like we are one year wonders.

With Harbaugh and the core group of guys we have, I would be shocked if we aren't in the playoffs every year for the next 5 plus years.

Edit: I'm a little concerned what would happen if we lose Roman. Fiagio, not so much. In fact, I'm not sure Manusky couldn't do the same if not better with this defense.

i feel the opposite. Losing Fangio would be a much bigger blow, as Harbaugh is involved enough in the offense that we would have major continuity next year even if Roman left (though it would suck). I'm not sure why you think Manusky would do the same or better with this defense, considering the majority of these guys were here last year and we were not nearly as good, and he's taken a very good Chargers defense and turned them into suxors.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Not sure how to answer that, but I certainly dont feel like we are one year wonders.

With Harbaugh and the core group of guys we have, I would be shocked if we aren't in the playoffs every year for the next 5 plus years.

Edit: I'm a little concerned what would happen if we lose Roman. Fiagio, not so much. In fact, I'm not sure Manusky couldn't do the same if not better with this defense.

i feel the opposite. Losing Fangio would be a much bigger blow, as Harbaugh is involved enough in the offense that we would have major continuity next year even if Roman left (though it would suck). I'm not sure why you think Manusky would do the same or better with this defense, considering the majority of these guys were here last year and we were not nearly as good, and he's taken a very good Chargers defense and turned them into suxors.

We've always had a good run stopping defense. However, we picked up two key pieces, Rogers and Smith. Rogers is playing way better than Clement ever did and there is no question Smith is a far superior passrusher than Lawson. Also, Bowman has really settled in. Everything that I've read says Vic is running a very straight forward rush four, 3-4 defense. So as some have pointed out, it's not the scheme it's the players playing out of their mind. I dont know that Manusky's scheme was the problem, we just didn't have the horses.

I think the only question would be, would Manusky have made the same personnel decisions?

I dont feel strongly about this, but it's just a thought in the back of my mind.
pretty high
Am I happy that we're gonna be in the playoffs? Yes. Will be upset if we don't win the Super Bowl? Absolutely.

Think about the 2010 SF Giants. If you have a chance to win it all, you have to seize the moment. It's not good enough to "be happy to be there." You have to think you have a legit shot at beating any team in the league.

There's no guarantee that we're half as good next year.
10+ win seasons, NFC west champions and playoff wins should be our goal, this year, I think we have the goods to get all the way, at the this rate, it should be GB and SF in nfc title game, in GB though.

Honestly, GB/SF in NFC, then AFC i just dont know, PIT/NE or BAL/NE or heck PIT/BAL?
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Am I happy that we're gonna be in the playoffs? Yes. Will be upset if we don't win the Super Bowl? Absolutely.

Think about the 2010 SF Giants. If you have a chance to win it all, you have to seize the moment. It's not good enough to "be happy to be there." You have to think you have a legit shot at beating any team in the league.

There's no guarantee that we're half as good next year.

Agreed, the one good thing is we have Harbaugh, and likely keeping Fangio, Seely and Roman. I just dont see them leaving, it will take a few yrs for Roman to get a HC offering, and likely college gig.
With the complete suckatude that we have endured for the past decade +, I am as happy as a f*ggot in a tree full of dicks, with this season. Looking at the other teams in the NFC I honestly would be disappointed with anything lees then getting to the NFC championship game, then let the dice fall as they may.

But I am even more stoked on next year. Can you Imagine? We are only going to get better as a team, defensively we are actually gonna get better, barring injury, I can't even imagine how wicked our D is gonna be, all time wicked. And the offense, holy s**t, with a full season under our belt and a full off season of running the SAME offense, dam we are gonna be freaking good, real good.

So, reading the article about who we are playing next year as division champs, I am thinking we still got this division locked up but I gotta think there are gonna be few more losses( remember we have been relatively injury free), but I doesn't really matter because we are going to be a better team and we will make the playoffs again. Then....Then we will se an absolutely dominate team firing on all twelve cylinders.

Championship 2012- San Francisco 49ers!!!!!
To win our division.
The HarBar is set to SuperBowl

NFC west or bust.
Steve Young uses the best analogy. The first goal is to win the division and set-up base camp. Then you have two or three games to attack the summit . . . which is of course the Superbowl. That should be the goal every year. Win the division and get to the playoff dance and then take your chances.
We have to win the Superbowl. It's what you play for. Nothing else matters.
Share 49ersWebzone