LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

How high is the bar?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How high is the bar?

Well, we have sucked for such a long time, some of you younger fans may not know what b***hing about things like, not winning by enough, or losing in the play offs. Back in the days before the internet when you could only BS with people you actually knew or were in the same physical space, say work or a bar, the Niners were great, so great in fact new words and phrases had to be made up to describe their greatness. Sadly it has been so long those words are now used to describe other teams. I digress, trust me when I say we could b***h up a storm if Joe and company were less than perfect.

My question is simple, now that we are gaining respect what do we as fans expect next season? What happens say if we are one and done in the play offs, and go 8-8 next year? or perhaps we go 10-6 but miss the play offs?

Just how fast do we become spoiled, no longer happy just not to loose, or happy just to be in the play offs? Does JH have to repeat this seasons success, or improve on it to keep your loyalty,
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Well, we have sucked for such a long time, some of you younger fans may not know what b***hing about things like, not winning by enough, or losing in the play offs. Back in the days before the internet when you could only BS with people you actually knew or were in the same physical space, say work or a bar, the Niners were great, so great in fact new words and phrases had to be made up to describe their greatness. Sadly it has been so long those words are now used to describe other teams. I digress, trust me when I say we could b***h up a storm if Joe and company were less than perfect.

My question is simple, now that we are gaining respect what do we as fans expect next season? What happens say if we are one and done in the play offs, and go 8-8 next year? or perhaps we go 10-6 but miss the play offs?

Just how fast do we become spoiled, no longer happy just not to loose, or happy just to be in the play offs? Does JH have to repeat this seasons success, or improve on it to keep your loyalty,

|____| <------ that high?
| |
| |

Playoffs?
[ Edited by cortana49 on Nov 22, 2011 at 10:47 PM ]
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cortana49:

|____| <------ that high?
| |
| |

Playoffs?

|______|
.......|
.......|
.......|
.......|
.......|
.......|
.......|
.......|

I'm thinking more like this high
it started out being playoffs but since we know we can win i say atleast the championship game, superbowl is what i voted tho because i truly believe we are good enough and will win it all this year.
Like Cheech & Chong high
I was wanting an 8-8 season with the possibility of 9-7. Once .500 was looking easy I wanted a playoff appearance. Now that we are looking at clinching the division and getting a playoff berth, I want a playoff win.

This season has already been more then I could of ever expected given the circumstances.

But to answer your question, keeping the team at 10+ wins should be the goal going into next year. Along with that we should clinch the division again or be first in line for a wild card. If we can show 2 years of quality play with real wins, ultra competitiveness , and playoff wins then I'm sold.

Once the season is over and we know where we stand I can answer the question a little better. Still have a lot of football left to play!!!
Well we are dramatically better than I thought we would be already. If the season ended today we have massively overachieved already. So I can't really complain. Anything from here is just bonus IMO. Above .500 is already a win I'd say and people have to remember that.

Being in the position we currently are I'd say I want to clinch playoffs first, clinch the division and then get the highest seed we can (#1 or #2). Then win at least 1 playoff game. I would call that season a success. I would hate to do all of this and then go 1 and done in the playoffs. So win at least 1. If we can win more or get to the Super Bowl and possibly win that then great. I don't know that I expect it. I hope for it and we will see what happens. But I won't call it a failure if we don't win the Super Bowl this year.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Nov 23, 2011 at 1:10 AM ]
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Higher than the SAT score in the average Asian household.
Originally posted by Ether:
Higher than the SAT score in the average Asian household.

what kind of asian we talkin here?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Well we are dramatically better than I thought we would be already. If the season ended today we have massively overachieved already. So I can't really complain. Anything from here is just bonus IMO. Above .500 is already a win I'd say and people have to remember that.

Being in the position we currently are I'd say I want to clinch playoffs first, clinch the division and then get the highest seed we can (#1 or #2). Then win at least 1 playoff game. I would call that season a success. I would hate to do all of this and then go 1 and done in the playoffs. So win at least 1. If we can win more or get to the Super Bowl and possibly win that then great. I don't know that I expect it. I hope for it and we will see what happens. But I won't call it a failure if we don't win the Super Bowl this year.

Okay, so we are better and we a clearly an ascending team, but next year if we slip ti 7-9 who will be howling for JH's head? See JH is raising our expectations, I know there has to be a few old timers like me who remember people b***hing and moaning, and calling for coaches to be fired over 10-6 seasons, where we were one and done in the play-offs. So my question is this "sure we are just happy to be here, but next season if we do not improve who here will be b***hing? and at what point?

Okay, so we are better and we a clearly an ascending team, but next year if we slip ti 7-9 who will be howling for JH's head? See JH is raising our expectations, I know there has to be a few old timers like me who remember people b***hing and moaning, and calling for coaches to be fired over 10-6 seasons, where we were one and done in the play-offs. So my question is this "sure we are just happy to be here, but next season if we do not improve who here will be b***hing? and at what point?

Well we can't improve from 9 - 1. It's a magical year. Going 15 - 1 or 14 - 2 or 13 - 3 is really tough. Most likely we will be worse by a little next year. It's hard to duplicate that 2 years in a row. We won some very close nail biter games. Like the Lions game for example on a 4th down throw at the end near the goal line. Games like that can go either way. I wouldn't be surprised if we are better next year but have a somewhat worse record. A lot of close games have gone our way on last second plays, excellent special teams performences and stingy defense. I'm not sure it can be duplicated again. It's been a fun ride though. How many 15 - 1 teams go 15 -1 the next year? Even the great 49er teams from the past didn't often have records like that 2 years in a row.

Well we can't improve from 9 - 1. It's a magical year. Going 15 - 1 or 14 - 2 or 13 - 3 is really tough. Most likely we will be worse by a little next year. It's hard to duplicate that 2 years in a row. We won some very close nail biter games. Like the Lions game for example on a 4th down throw at the end near the goal line. Games like that can go either way. I wouldn't be surprised if we are better next year but have a somewhat worse record. A lot of close games have gone our way on last second plays, excellent special teams performences and stingy defense. I'm not sure it can be duplicated again. It's been a fun ride though. How many 15 - 1 teams go 15 -1 the next year? Even the great 49er teams from the past didn't often have records like that 2 years in a row.
You would not believe the number of people who b***hed and moaned about this fact!
Eddie D and Walsh had set the bar. 10+ win every season and a playoff berth. Anything less is a failure. We don't have a winning season unless we have 10 in the bag.
Not sure how to answer that, but I certainly dont feel like we are one year wonders.

With Harbaugh and the core group of guys we have, I would be shocked if we aren't in the playoffs every year for the next 5 plus years.

Edit: I'm a little concerned what would happen if we lose Roman. Fiagio, not so much. In fact, I'm not sure Manusky couldn't do the same if not better with this defense.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Nov 23, 2011 at 11:11 AM ]
Next year, as defending Super Bowl champs, anything less than another Super Bowl win would be a disappointment.
Share 49ersWebzone