LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

Where/what happend to shawntae spencer?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
he's better than brown and brock. not sure what's going on.
every time a new regime takes over a team at least 1 veteran player is kind of made an example of, for this team its been shawntae spencer, its clear to me they dont really wanna play him, i wonder why they kept him on the roster
Originally posted by crabman82:
every time a new regime takes over a team at least 1 veteran player is kind of made an example of, for this team its been shawntae spencer, its clear to me they dont really wanna play him, i wonder why they kept him on the roster

depth would be the only reason why, at this point. The niners have been losing guys to injury. He's only an injury or two away from being reinserted in the lineup.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
he's better than brown and brock. not sure what's going on.

My only guess would be willingness to work within the framework of Fangio's defense. If you look at the line, they've their communication down pat. I'd say the same goes for the linebackers, too. I'm not sure about the defensive backfield, but for what it's worth, Fangio believes the rookie culliver can play the defense better than Spencer can.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Spencer is like 5 years or so older than the rest of the other corners, he's had a lingering injury for the past few years, yes he has way more experience, but physically he is just that bad.

Your evidence of this is... where exactly?

Fangio said on an article that Spencer's play is evaluated in practice and he has to prove himself before earning a starting spot. (I will try and search for the article link when I have time.)

So far the results only prove that Spencer is unable to beat the guys in front of him. We're still waiting...
He's weak against the run. Not sure why I have to keep saying this.
It happened back in Cuba...
Originally posted by Engleburger:

actually he is one of our better tacklers.....but go ahead and keep repeating what you believe.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Engleburger:

actually he is one of our better tacklers.....but go ahead and keep repeating what you believe.

No. He's our worst tackler on defense. It's not even just against the run, he can't tackle WR's either. Shawntae Spencer makes Tarrel Brown look like Ray Lewis in terms of tackling (lighting up Kitna while he wasn't looking doesn't make him a good tackler). Someone on the webzone posted a stat where Shawntae had the highest percetage of tackles broke of all corners in the NFL. Might have been all players.

I really used to like Shawntae but times are changing and he isn't part of our future. Our defense is much better now (not saying this is only because of Shawntae) with only a few changes. Let him ride pine.
[ Edited by Engleburger on Nov 28, 2011 at 11:52 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone