There are 189 users in the forums

Harbaugh's Challenge on Last Drive--Genius!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by johnnyredneat:
An analysis of the challenge call is up at http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7232735/this-game-inches

Bill Barnwell: basically, it's a brilliant call.

1. Because it gives our defense a breather
2. There's a small chance that either Manningham did bobble it or that the refs blow the call.
3. (Here's the true genius of it) You can't take challenges with you. Our timeouts were not going to be a factor, and all challenges 2 min and in, or in OT, are automatic. So it makes total sense to burn a challenge on any late game critical play. There's literally no downside to it, and yet coaches decline to do it all the time. And then they finish the game with two meaningless challenges in their pocket.

I honestly feel that (some) coaches don't follow this challenge strategy because they're afraid of being embarrassed. And that's a form of egotism too - putting your own reputation before the team's chances of winning. People who call Harbaugh an egotistical guy should ponder that.

Winning
Originally posted by dhp318:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Shifting lines to get off sides, proper time out management, amazing game planning....

CotY.

I still feel like some of our shifts are too abrupt... that offsides call could've gone against us depending on the refs. Worked this time, didn't work last time.

I actually completely agreed with the flag last week, Yesterday however I thought it was just a regular motion shift, nothing different than the other zillion we do during the game other than maybe it was started from a guy on the L.O.S.
Originally posted by father49er:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Yup everyone knew and (assuming) Harbaugh that it was a catch, but what better way to give the defense and a attempt to break some kind of momentum the offense was building.

It was just like a timeout with the addition of the challenge. Anyone know if you net more time on a challenge vs a timeout?

No word on the official timing, but usually a challenge goes into a TV timeout, which always takes 3 or more minutes.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
was thinking the same, a longer timeout with a challenge then a regular TO

Agreed and it was late in the game and we needed to use the TO's for something useful. I thought the same thing when it happened. We still had another challenge to use legitimately if we needed and I'm pretty sure the 2 min was coming up when you can't challenge anymore anyway.
Originally posted by tmpluff:
Originally posted by johnnyredneat:
An analysis of the challenge call is up at http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7232735/this-game-inches

Bill Barnwell: basically, it's a brilliant call.

1. Because it gives our defense a breather
2. There's a small chance that either Manningham did bobble it or that the refs blow the call.
3. (Here's the true genius of it) You can't take challenges with you. Our timeouts were not going to be a factor, and all challenges 2 min and in, or in OT, are automatic. So it makes total sense to burn a challenge on any late game critical play. There's literally no downside to it, and yet coaches decline to do it all the time. And then they finish the game with two meaningless challenges in their pocket.

I honestly feel that (some) coaches don't follow this challenge strategy because they're afraid of being embarrassed. And that's a form of egotism too - putting your own reputation before the team's chances of winning. People who call Harbaugh an egotistical guy should ponder that.

Winning

I also thought it was to ice/cool off Eli, get him out of his rhythm.
Share 49ersWebzone